New SMSL DSD DAC

Doesn't mention Linux support, though I don't see why it wouldn't support it. Nice looking, though.

This one also hits the right combination of features/aesthetics/price point for me to be eyeballing it, too.

Let us know how you like it! :thmbsp:

This one also hits the right combination of features/aesthetics/price point for me to be eyeballing it, too.

Let us know how you like it! :thmbsp:

I didn't end up getting it, went with a Parasound Zdac. No DSD, but I have no files in any such format, just redbook and high resolution PCM. Someday maybe :scratch2:

Am I wrong, didn't Dr. Lipschitz thoroughly discredit DSD way back in 2001 or thereabouts? Sony's and Phillips' patents on the CD format were expiring, they wanted a new format that they could more tightly control with DRM, so came up with SACD and DSD. Why has it reared its ugly head again?

Am I wrong, didn't Dr. Lipschitz thoroughly discredit DSD way back in 2001 or thereabouts? Sony's and Phillips' patents on the CD format were expiring, they wanted a new format that they could more tightly control with DRM, so came up with SACD and DSD. Why has it reared its ugly head again?

I was in it for the sake of experimentation and subjective low cost of admission :D I don't own any DSD/SACD material, which was why I decided against the unit in this thread. I know some use software to up convert redbook to DSD, but I'm of the impression that you can't add something that wasn't there in the first place.

DAC is impressive

I just bought/received My SMSL DAC M8 two days ago...Still on a learning curve and i believe there is a burn in curve as well...BUT after initial use, I am so damn impressed with the quality from before to after....The clarity is so insane, I was not expecting to hear that much of a difference, hence not spending more on the Schiit Audio DAC Bifrost.....This is a must buy for any Media computer upgrade....I have it linked between my media computer and my Yamaha surround sound receiver in to front infinity Sterlings with Acoustech subs/center channel/sides and Dayton audio rears...so nice

I was in it for the sake of experimentation and subjective low cost of admission :D I don't own any DSD/SACD material, which was why I decided against the unit in this thread. I know some use software to up convert redbook to DSD, but I'm of the impression that you can't add something that wasn't there in the first place.
From this AK thread quoting Archimogo's blog:
Objectively the DSD conversion adds distortion but the anomalies are not perceived as objectionable and in some material, the added noise and imprecision actually makes it sound less "sterile", "clinical", more "real" (conversely being in an anechoic chamber is disturbingly unreal due to the profound silence). It would make sense to me that some people could prefer DSD64 over DSD128 upconversion since DSD64 will give you more of that distortion. Even though the noise is ultrasonic in nature as measured off the DAC, nonlinearities in the playback system like your headphones and speakers (perhaps certain amps as well) could create audible intermodulation. Maybe for certain music, this could be especially beneficial.

This reminds me of tube amps - adds more distortion but it is pleasing.

I just bought/received My SMSL DAC M8 two days ago...Still on a learning curve and i believe there is a burn in curve as well...BUT after initial use, I am so damn impressed with the quality from before to after....The clarity is so insane, I was not expecting to hear that much of a difference, hence not spending more on the Schiit Audio DAC Bifrost.....This is a must buy for any Media computer upgrade....I have it linked between my media computer and my Yamaha surround sound receiver in to front infinity Sterlings with Acoustech subs/center channel/sides and Dayton audio rears...so nice

Do you prefer the SMSL to the Bifrost?

I recently purchased an SMSL M8 through a Massdrop group purchase. The best $179 I ever spent for audio gear. I am streaming FLAC files from my QNAP RAID box to a Squeezebox Touch configured as a straight digital transport. From the SMSL M8 it feeds into my McIntosh MX110Z/MC225 rig. I haven't tried DSD yet, but the SMSL is a stellar performer so far.

I have been a fan of SMSL for some time. But recently I happened (by mistake, since I thought I wouldn't win at such low price for a DSD+XMOS DAC and headphone amp) to buy an unheard of Douk DAC. Man, I was pleasantly surprised. It blows my mind how much detail it can reproduce and it drives my headphones effortlessly. Combined with Foobar, I have no problem enjoying all the hi-res audio files. The build quality of the Douk is not as good as SMSL, but for that money and convenience (it can be driven directly by USB power), it beats my SMSL SD650 hands down. The SD650 is still in service since it can decode via coaxial, and thus I keep it for my CD-Rom drive converted CD player.

Following with interest, as I want a better DAC than my Dragonfly, and am very interested in the whole DSD upconversion thing.

I don't know if it up-samples to DSD. It plays DSD 64/128 files and all PCM files to 384K/32bit.

So I just hook my usb port on my laptop to this, and it not only replaces the Dragonfly, but upsamples my FLAC to dsd?

Truly? Cause at 75 bucks, I'll leap on that.

The DAC doesn't usually do that, your playback program will do that...JRiver seems to send everything to my Chord as DSD files when I have the format conversion applied.

At least that's what the lights on the DAC say...

Back
Top Bottom