New Sony receiver antenna connector -???

jdmccall

OK, this is it:
g158STDH590-M.jpg

I don't know if you can make it out from pic, but the FM connector is new to me. I can't even figure out what it's called. Why Sony didn't use an F-connector is beyond me. Anyway, I need to adapt it to 75 Ohm coax, but I've had no luck finding an off-the-shelf part to do it. It would help if I knew what to look for! Anyone know what this connection is called?
-Thanks!

Last edited:
One more thing, I have a similar deal on my Yamaha table radio for the AM loop antenna. Once I put it in it will never ever never come back out again. So use caution.

I assume it is only balanced 300 input on the FM for the supplied folded dipole antenna and if so it will require a balun and tap dancing to use coax.
So you will need to find the connector or butcher the supplied 300 ohm balanced antenna to splice on a balun and F conn , not very user friendly is it?
Sony, what a bunch of morons, anything to save a buck.

I assume it is only balanced 300 input on the FM for the supplied folded dipole antenna and if so it will require a balun and tap dancing to use coax.
So you will need to find the connector or butcher the supplied 300 ohm balanced antenna to splice on a balun and F conn , not very user friendly is it?

You just know, though, that if they did put an F connector there, someone's gonna plug their cable TV into it.

Note that they say to keep the antenna horizontal if there stations of interest are broadside to the antenna, but it not it could be an issue.

If one needs omnidirectional reception, vertical orientation would not be a bad idea.

upload_2018-9-16_4-33-46.png

something proprietary to Sony manufactured by JST? I assume you didn't get something in the box with the receiver?

https://solarbotics.com/product/141...5b9PtaqcgkVxXQWlEjvf0HPh_dTzIJrRoC-poQAvD_BwE

Then maybe a balun to the coax :dunno:

Nothing in the box but a single wire with the "JST" (or whatever it's called) connector on one end.

Seems like I read somewhere the connection was referred to as "75 Ohm unbalanced". I cant' recall: is 75 Ohm coax unbalanced? How about 300 Ohm twin-lead? Am I unbalanced?

Nothing in the box but a single wire with the "JST" (or whatever it's called) connector on one end.
Seems like I read somewhere the connection was referred to as "75 Ohm unbalanced". I cant' recall: is 75 Ohm coax unbalanced? How about 300 Ohm twin-lead? ...
Coaxial connections are unbalanced (center conductor is hot, shield is ground), yes -- like an "RCA" interconnect for audio signals.

So you need to connect your wire by strippring the end, to the centre wire of your coax cable, make sure not to have anything touch the outer part of the coax F-connector. Then you will be in business. I don't know about a better type of connector to get from "F" to "JST 2 pin" but it may exist out there.

I can't find anything easily. Strip off the coax leave the 1/2 in of bare centre wire, then an inch of the while plastic core, cut off the outer sheath, then use a butt connector and crimp the core and your supplied wire together.

Last edited:
How does the supplied antenna work in the Sony when you test it out and compare against other tuners/antennas that you may use?

Yet another reason to hate Sony...
:)Well, I can't say that I hate Sony, but I sure don't understand why they put this cheap little oddball connector on their receivers!

Coaxial connections are unbalanced (center conductor is hot, shield is ground), yes -- like an "RCA" interconnect for audio signals.
OK, that makes sense. Thanks!

So you need to connect your wire by strippring the end, to the centre wire of your coax cable, make sure not to have anything touch the outer part of the coax F-connector. Then you will be in business. I don't know about a better type of connector to get from "F" to "JST 2 pin" but it may exist out there.

I can't find anything easily. Strip off the coax leave the 1/2 in of bare centre wire, then an inch of the while plastic core, cut off the outer sheath, then use a butt connector and crimp the core and your supplied wire together.
Thank you. I will probably try that if I can't find a ready-made adapter.

How does the supplied antenna work in the Sony when you test it out and compare against other tuners/antennas that you may use?
Not very well at all. I only have one close station and it comes in OK, but that's it and their tower is less than three miles away. New Country format.:thumbsdown: And that's it. That's all I can get. The other stations I listen to are mostly 20 to 60 miles away, and I get them pretty well with directional outside fm antenna. Not as well with outside omni, which I plan to replace with another directional soon.

:)Well, I can't say that I hate Sony, but I sure don't understand why they put this cheap little oddball connector on their receivers!

FM tuners are very much an after thought on modern receivers since the 1980's I would say. Don't be too surprised if the Sony doesn't do very well even with the outdoor antenna. The good news is that you can pick up a really good tuner for low dollars these days and plug that into your Sony.

Too bad about the reception, from the blown up pic that I like music posted, it looks like it may be unbalanced (only one antenna wire) so you could somehow access the pin that the antenna lead attaches too and connect it to your coax from the ext antenna, ground the coax shield such as a chassis screw. something to try.

Back
Top Bottom