new Steely Dan cd and more

omer

AK Member
Well, since AK don't have a separate music section, I'll stick the thread here. I've recently got a few new discs that I'd like to recommend:

- Steely Dan, Everything Must Go
All Dan fans should get this it picks up where Two Against Nature left of, and of course sounds AWESOME.

- Lizz Wright, Salt
Very cool and sweet, awesome female vocal jazz with a cool/lounge feel to it. She sound a LOT like Oleta Adams. It's on Verve, so of course it sounds great.
http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/verve/product.asp?pid=10756

- Holly Cole, Shade
She's back to jazz standards (thank heavens!). Not only is the music pure Holly, but the packaging alone is worth the price. Record companies are finally giving us (me, anyway) a reason not to download MP3's.

- Denzal Sinclaire
http://www.denzalsinclaire.com/web/media/index.php
Uptempo jazz vocal. reminds me of a hyper Harry Connick Jr.
Think of what you might hear at a Jazz club on a Saturday night.

That's it for now, until next Saturday's shopping spree.:cool:

Omer,they sound really good,I have the SD,and was thinking of the Holly Cole.
I am really enjoying my Otis Rush cd.For those AKers who don't know OZ Enterprises has a great music section with used and new cds.

Alan

Sure hope the first 3 you mentioned turn up some day on vinyl or SACD, I'm just too disappointed with seedy when I put one on, don't buy em anymore - I have enough drink coasters :) . In the same vein as a few you mentioned here, I just listened to Eva Cassidy's Songbird on vinyl - one of sweetest, most involving voices I've heard. She's sort of like Holly Cole but amazing range from whispery, silky, subtlety up to knock your socks off clean belting alla Ella. I hate it when i discover someone I like this much only after they have departed this world.

By the way, this is one great sounding, quiet piece of vinyl. I made the mistake of listening to a Holly Cole seedy after this and YACK! I should have known better, back to vinyl and all is right with the world again :) .

Billfort

Bill, if you get anything at all, I'd have to say the SD stuff is as close to vinyl as we're going to get. The Fagan/Becker duo are fanatical about sound - remember when The Nightfly came out?

BTW, what cd player are you using?

Re: Otis Rush

Originally posted by Dave918
Alan, which Otis Rush CD do you have? I was thinking about picking up 'Ain't Enough Comin' In'.

Dave

Dave,I have"Lost in The Blues" originally released as"Trouble,Trouble,Trouble" I found "Ain't Enough Comin' In" very glossy and polished none of that blues grit.Buy Otis' early stuff,brfore he got produced to death.

Alan

Omer, in my main system I use a Sony SCD-777ES - it's actually pretty good with CD but the problem arises when I put on an SACD or especially vinyl - CD just doesn't cut it.

I was on the CD treadmill for about 10 years trying to find something I could live with but as long as I had a turntable in the room, thats what I always listened to when I wanted to really LISTEN. SACD has changed that though.

Owned a CAL Alpha transport, Gamma tube DAC, Cobalt DAC, various NAD's, a Mission and few others I can't or don't want to remember. Of these, the CAL stuff was the least obnoxious. Have listened to at home or in friends systems a Rega, Audio Note DAC, some flavor of Krell and few others. Even tried an Audio Note DAC using the 777ES as a transport. Of course I spent years listening to latest flavor of the week in stores that was supposed to be so good "its almost as good as vinyl". I guess I just went over the edge for the last time when I heard a $500 Rega TT absolutely smoke a 10K Krell CD player. Enough already.

I'm not saying that CD is bad, just that I'm done trying to find a player that makes music like vinyl, although SACD seems to pull it off sometimes.

Billfort

Last edited:
What To Do

I wish l could debate Billfort on this one but sadly he's right IMO.

What to do; l'm inching to get a turntable again but then l'm back into vinyl not the easiest thing to get here in the Sault. CD is ok hell sometimes l listen to MP3 files and get into the music a little. :(

Going to have to make the plunge and buy a table god l even miss those wonderful record covers.:D

yep, I gotta agree to a certian extend. I guess that's why they say "almost" as good as vinyl. :)
Now, you haven't mentioned what cables your using. If youwant to try a set of Maple Audio's Ambiance interconects on the 777, they are SCARILY close to analog sounding.;)
Still prefer my P2 though......

Back
Top Bottom