NEW? STK0029 Modules

CT Jim

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
OK, I admit it, I'm a glutton for punishment! Anyway, I ordered a couple "new" stk0029 modules for a SX-580 of which I received some testing advice in another thread, but now I have to ask...do these modules look NEW or are they all in this type of shape considering? I see a small what looks like a lump of solder on pin 5 on the right piece? They look a little rough of course compared to what they said was new in the picture, an eba. delight of course

How do I check these before installing? The old ones, still installed are Darlington units, but I didn't want to put a boatload into this unit. I would like to compare the units installed against the uninstalled ones, or I can remove the old ones, and do the same test on each? It's more of getting it to work again versus restoration. Now that I have these direct from China, if they work I probably don't care, however, I do listen to advice here on AK and generally feel happy with what I achieve with help!

Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• stk modules.jpg
    stk modules.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 135
OK, I admit it, I'm a glutton for punishment! Anyway, I ordered a couple "new" stk0029 modules for a SX-580 of which I received some testing advice in another thread, but now I have to ask...do these modules look NEW or are they all in this type of shape considering? I see a small what looks like a lump of solder on pin 5 on the right piece? They look a little rough of course compared to what they said was new in the picture, an eba. delight of course

How do I check these before installing? The old ones, still installed are Darlington units, but I didn't want to put a boatload into this unit. I would like to compare the units installed against the uninstalled ones, or I can remove the old ones, and do the same test on each? It's more of getting it to work again versus restoration. Now that I have these direct from China, if they work I probably don't care, however, I do listen to advice here on AK and generally feel happy with what I achieve with help!

Thanks
Jim

I think maybe they meant "new to you". Trying to check them with an ohm meter is not going to help you much here.
Unless maybe its an original chip they pulled from an old amp, its fake. I'll be generous and give it about a 70 percent chance it won't blow up as soon as you power it up.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I just looked closer at the black body, and I see a circular shiny area where a screw or washer marked the body, so they're used. After someone pipes up about how to test them I'll check them, then decide whether to keep them. Might be better to just return them or file with ebay about incorrect goods!

I think I would contact the seller and explain that I suspect the module's to be used. Describe the clues you discovered. Find out what the seller has to say. The outcome might allow you to give them a try. My experience with the STK's are if the Pre-stage and driver stages all check out (Component wise), the modules should work. There's really no other way to check them except to install them. (And) you can't check the circuit electrically without them installed. Depending on what you paid for them it may, turn out in your favor.

Last edited:
This 580 was playing when I got to GW. I think the speakers were a set of B&O or Infinity that a friend was considering. After he played with them awhile the amp just shut down, ergo bought for a song. After some reading I think the speakers were 4 ohm and the 580 just gave up.
I still have to do a few test readings suggested by Larry and hope to do so tonite, however, I think I will contact the seller and explain my concerns. So if these are plug-in units, why would I see solder on a couple pins?

So, no ohm reading checkout of these....I learn something on AK almost every day!

Not all units that used the STK Modules used sockets, in fact very few did. The great Majority were soldered in. These are definately USED. Sanyo has not manufactured STK's since about 1990. So it's either used, or a NEW STOCK Facsimile.

DARLINGTON is a type of circuit, not a brand name. Doesn't matter whether "Darlington" or whatever is on the front. An STK 0029 is a STK 0029..... It either works or it doesn't. As for longevity, the "NEW" Facsimiles have smaller dies, and wiring internally, and won't handle hi volume well. So don't crank it hard.

ABSOLUTELY NO 4 OHM LOADS with a STK! They can't handle it and will let out the "Magic Smoke" fairly easily. 8 to 16 ohms is fine for them.

Last edited:
I agree with the used part, but what exactly is a new stock "Facsimile"? Are they the new fake ones that may not ne very good? Is all New stuff facsimile? Is there true NOS stuff out there, not that I need true NOS for this low powered Pioneer.

No word back from the seller yet, tonite I'll go the the claim line if I don't receive any response!

I still have not got back in to check voltages....sigh

Facsimile are generics that are made today. SANYO hasn't made any since 1990 or so. I haven't seen Original SANYO STK Modules in 10 years.

STK Modules are now made in china and are generally inferior to ORIGINAL Stock STK's. A used working set of originals (and it's hard to prove originality as they aren't marked with the brand name) are better than a set of "NEW STOCK". So it's really one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" things. The best way I've found to get a good set of STK's is to find a like unit that has a bad tuner but otherwise working fine and part it out. There is still a chance that they have been replaced but it's lower than buying a "unknown pair off that certain auction site". This is the biggest gripe I have with the Chip units.

Well, after two days and no response I opened a return request with ebay. At this time they are just sitting in the envelope, until resolved.
But I'm curious, has anyone ever returned something to China, in this case just a small padded envelope. What does it cost to send a very small package? i assume postage must be pretty cheap because a lot of sellers from Asia include free shipping?

any-time i have had a problem from china they have promptly refunded me and not wanted the faulty item back ..well why would they ?

I'm only curious in that it's obvious that the wrong pieces were sent, so why should I expend ANY money to ship fraud items back. It's more a question about postage because i have never sent anything overseas, ever.

it seems to me they get very cheap postage deals ..i have bought stuff that would have cost me at least 3 or 4 times the value of the item just to post it there .not counting the price of packaging .
all you can do is see what the seller wants you to do .. i would think they will be wanting to not have a negative feedback submitted .

I have not done anything with feedback at this time! I would think someone with a 99.1% rating would want to remedy this promptly!

They will want to save their feedback. They are required to provide a prepaid shipping label to you and they will not want to do this from U.S. Promise to provide good feedback and your refund will be in your hand very quickly and you will not be required to send it back.

I know about this because of a recent China purchase of a reader for an auto computer. I ordered the wired variety and they sent a Bluetooth unit. It was all settled within 4 days between them and Ebay. I got the refund and kept the bluetooth unit.

Once I opened the return request, the emails started.
1. seller offered "part of money return and you keep package?
2. refused because the mismatched used components will affect the value of the repair.
3. "ok, we refund you money"

they haven't figured out how to refund the PP so far, so I'll wait it out.

new versus used....why even try to send used, what a waste of time!

I bought a set of STK-0105 modules from this guy and they were supposedly NOS and performed to spec. Reasonable price. Here in the States. He may have the modules you need.

Ebay seller: pspiker1

No affiliation

I did see where some sellers have sold "new" 0029 units for pretty much the same price I paid, and in one case they show 1200 available, 88 sold, for what I paid. Don't know why I selected who I did, but someone having 1200 must have the new facsimile units.

This 580 isn't a valuable piece by any means, but if I do sell it as working I don't want it to turn into parts unless someone wants parts. For me, working on these entry level receivers is to learn, because working on the bigger more expensive things takes me awhile. I have plenty of other low-powered units used in the garage and the greenhouse and the sunroom; this is only a hobby!

Hey man,

Just chiming in. Those STKs you got there are 100% fake. See that four digit code in the corner? Means it's fake.

All STKs on Ebay are fake. Never buy them.

Back
Top Bottom