New surround system dilemma

gbkirsch

I'm building a home theater in my lower level, my kids have told me I should buy a Sonos system which with two architectural speakers in the ceiling for the rear channel will cost all in under $2,000. That seems to be a figure that also buys a lot of receiver and speakers. Any suggestions or advice??

Also, if I go with Sonos, what architectural speakers for the rear channel would you all advise me to go with?

Last edited:
I know these are popular and look interesting. However I'm not a fan of speaker companies who don't publish their audio specs (driver size, power handling, frequency response, efficiency). I also noticed on the Play 5 the tweeters are positioned more as a surround speaker (tweeters in different directions) which to me would confuse the imaging. Seems very Boseish to me. However I do like the idea of each being powered by Class-D amps. The ceiling speakers are a compromise with no direct sound to the listener. This might be OK for side speakers which are intended to be diffuse, but I think rears should have a direct radiator to provide precise directional content enhancing the surround experience. It's probably OK for less discriminate listening, but I doubt I would consider it.

Is there an aesthetic reason that you wan to go for architectural speakers in the rear? Soundwise, you're almost always better off with self-contained speakers. And with that amount of cash, you can build a great system with vintage speakers and still have a lot of money left over for a high quality receiver. I currently have two surround systems in my house (one in a dedicated theater), both use vintage speakers.

I love the way DCM TimeFrame TF-600 speakers sound in the back ...
really expands the size of the room - a nice ambience.
Then again, I hand picked used speakers all around for my system ... probably about $1k in speakers & a bit more than that in hardware
(Oppo Disc player, Preamp/Processor, 2x amp for front mains, 5ch amp for center& 4 surround, big amp and subwoofer for effects,
TIVO Roamio for TV & video streaming - Netflix & Amazon) - and something for a display - either 4K display or projector/screen

Wow, good ideas, got me thinking. I am stuck with several issues, the biggest is this is a very confined space and the back of the theater where the seating will be is actually well into the space with closets and the garage entrance behind. We are currently renovating the lower level and a bathroom. 85% gut job due to past water intrusion issues. Spent almost all our budget on the renovation of the space plus electrical, lighting, plumbing and bathroom fixtures. My wife is also an issue so there is no wall space for speakers and I promised her the system we end up with will be very simple. So the architectural speakers are the only way to address the rear channel but the installation place has matched speakers to the system in lieu of the wireless sonos speakers. However, I've been looking at other possibilities just in case I find something I like better. I have a bunch of vintage equipment and speakers but I'm determined to make things simple for the wife.

Consider NHT speakers; they offer in-wall/in-ceiling speakers that should be a good match for the their cabinet speakers. You can get used SuperZeroes, SuperOnes, 1.1s, 1.3s and 1.5s for pretty cheap; I purchased a pair of 1.5s on eBay for under $150 shipped). All of these are pretty small (the SuperZeroes and SuperOnes can be wall mounted fairly easily). You can also find a good selection of NHT center speakers at reasonable prices. I'd avoid any of the early NHTs with the polycarbonate tweeter, but any models with the soft or aluminum dome are at least very good. You'll need a subwoofer with any of these small models, but any decent one should work.

if you have room for floor standers, check out the 2.5i or 2.9 (not sure what the market is where you live, but I've seen 2.5s for $200 for the pair, and with those you could skip the subwoofer.

Back
Top Bottom