New System setup and troubleshooting in winter home

EJC1

This is the year we became snowbirds. We have a place in South Carolina and it is an audio horror story. The system was to go in the living room which is the main area of the house, there were also issues with keeping "She who must be obeyed" happy. With this in mind, my initial thought was to avoid floor standing speaker to make her decorating easier.

The room has an 18' ceiling. The left side has sloped reflective areas front and back going to the ceiling. The right side is open, as is the back. the ceiling, slab floor, and roof line make wired rears more trouble than they are worth. As we adjust, I may look into wireless speakers or surface wiring (under rugs) for the rear. So far they are not really missed.

The system is a mix of old and new and as of last night the adjustments have created a great sound field.

And here they are in the system:

Yamaha RX-A 860 - new

Fisher Studio Standard TT - MT-273 w/ Ortofon OM-10 cartridge - TT is from 1983, cartridge is new.

TV -70" Vizio SmartTV - new

Speakers - Main - Klipsch Heresy 1 - 1979 Rebuild project

Front Surround - Martin Logan Edge - in-wall - New

Center - Martin-Logan SLM - surface mount - New

Sub W - Parts Express Titanic - Parts Express Kit (transplanted from home system)

Rear - none

ISSUES ENCOUNTERED with the install:
1- The Edge speakers were not properly (professionally) installed. The left speaker had reversed polarity and they did not place insulation around them.
2- As I used the system I discovered I was getting wall vibration/noise in the bedroom on the other side.
3- The sound in the living room sounded distorted and fuzzy.

TROUBLESHOOTING/CORRECTIONS:
1- I first pulled the M-L edge speakers and I added Dynamat (type) material to the bedroom wall.
2- I checked the manual, something the installers didn't do, and it specifically calls for Insulation around the speakers. It was 11pm when I decided to do this, and I had no spare insulation, so it was up to the attic to steal some. This helped but as I discovered it did not eliminate the issues.
3- I started thinking that because of the nature of the room that the M-Ls were having issues and distorting, and they were sounding like the speakers were bottoming out.
4- This is when I decided to go to to the Klipsch Heresy 1 for front speakers and shift the M-L Edges to front surround. These were a project, as can be seen in the Klipsch Corner. I picked up some '79 cabinets and did a complete rebuild and update of all drivers and x-overs. I love Klipsch, I'm using a pair of Forte IIs ('89) in my home system. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing to compare to the sound of those horns. The Heresy's sounded great, the risers improved the voicing of the system, and the overall result was much improved. But it wasn't there yet.
5- The M-Ls still didn't sound right. They were still distorting. Now I had the brain Fart. Back to the manuals.
I check the frequency response of the M-Ls (again the installers did not do this). The system was overdriving them in the bass range. My guess of the speakers bottoming would appear to have been correct.
6- Now it was into the Yamaha menu system. I changed the x-over points for the M-Ls and the Klipschs, then adjusted the SubW.

What a difference those adjustments made. The system is essentially 5.1, but all front, the distortion is gone and the sound is great and when I put on an LP in 7channel stereo the M-Ls can run at full potential with the Klipschs, and the sound is exquisite.

Last edited:
Thanks. I should have started with the Klipsch. But then again, had I, I probably would not have gone with the M-L in walls and together they make for a great sound.
And the Klipsch project was fun and cost about 1/2 to 1/3 of what a new pair of heresy's would have cost

Congrats!

....interesting audio "rack" .....story behind it?
Purchase, custom build, DIY?

Congrats!

....interesting audio "rack" .....story behind it?
Purchase, custom build, DIY?

Thanks on the audio rack.
The "Rack" was a find of my wife's at a local furniture outlet. It is actually a Buffet Table. it is lovely old distressed wood. It is a SOLID and HEAVY piece, great support for the TurnTable and hides the wire rat's-nest fairly well

Yes, please! My SO would LOVE something like that for our winter place.

I can't take credit, it was my wife's find. A buffet table made of old distressed wood found at a local furniture place in Charleston. It is a very heavy piece, great for a Turn Table

I can't take credit, it was my wife's find. A buffet table made of old distressed wood found at a local furniture place in Charleston. It is a very heavy piece, great for a Turn Table

It looks amazing. If you have a chance, please post some more photos of it from different angles.

It looks amazing. If you have a chance, please post some more photos of it from different angles.

The Piece was purchased at Celadon Furniture (Wharehouse) in Charleston, SC
http://celadonathome.com/
i believe that they have 2 locations, this was the discount store.
It was a Buffet Table, the drawers actually can open to either side if the wall wasn't in the way
Now the pictures you requested

The Piece was purchased at Celadon Furniture (Wharehouse) in Charleston, SC
http://celadonathome.com/
i believe that they have 2 locations, this was the discount store.
It was a Buffet Table, the drawers actually can open to either side if the wall wasn't in the way
Now the pictures you requested

Wow, that really is a beautiful piece. Congrats to your wife for having such excellent taste in furniture, and congrats to you for having such excellent taste in wives.

Last edited:
Wow, that really is a beautiful piece. Congrats to your wife for having such excellent taste in furniture, and congrats to you for having such excellent taste in wives.

BNM

Thanks. Yeah, she puts up with a lot of crap from me when it comes to stuff like this

Back
Top Bottom