New system:Stereo or surround sound?

planetluvver

I do not know much about audio, but would like to learn to listen better. I also need to choose a new system. (See my thread in introductions for some background about me.)

I am having difficulty finding very basic information about stereo because home theater seems to be much more predominant today.

I think the first choice I need to make is between the two channels of stereo and the five channels of surround sound. I am leaning toward stereo for the following reasons. I would like to know if my reasoning is accurate. Some of this is based on things I have read, and some is my own thoughts.

I would say that my preference to listening to music over watching films is 70% versus 30%. There is a bit of a gray area for me though. I am developing a taste for watching opera on DVD. I do not know if newer operas are recorded in stereo and if not, how stereo playback affects sound quality. At this point, I do not know opera well enough to appreciate it without knowing the plot. (Even though I realize plot is relatively unimportant to opera appreciation, I still feel the need to know what is happening in the story.)

I am pretty budget concious, and right off the bat, two speakers of a higher quality will produce better sound than four speakers. Also, there is likely a lot more used stereo gear out there to choose from. And stereo equipment is more likely to be under appreciated in today's market.

I am now living with other people, so a large part of my listening may be using headphones, which are always stereo, anyway.

From what I have read, stereo sounds much more forgiving regarding poor setup, which is a benefit considering my inexperience.

On the other hand, shopping for used equipment might be unrealistic, since I do not own a car and don't drive. Buying old equipment is riskier, due to my lack of skill in evaluating quality and condition. At my particular level, surround sound could possibly not be more expensive, due to economy of scale.

Other possibly relevant factors:
I am considering a budget of about $1000. The last time I bought brand new stereo components, the current video standard was Hi-Fi VHS, so I am way out of touch with today's choices. I listen to a wide variety of music. Predominantly folk. I would like to listen to more orchestral music, but I could not enjoy it at all when I was relying on a cheap boombox. I think I prefer a relatively neutral sound. I am taking singing and ukulele lessons, and want to become more discerning about vocal subtleties. I am living in a single room, about 20 by 12 feet (7 by 4 meters). I have significant hearing loss in one ear (I don't have the report available to state the frequecies affected.) I would not mind learning a bit about fairly quick and easy diy repairs, but do not currently have any tools, nor care to invest much in tools. (A multimeter and soldering iron would be within my scope, but not an ocilliscope.)

My apologies for the length of the post. I was trying to be thorough.

If you love human voice as I do you can have pretty good reproduction for close to $1000. Is your only source DVD's and CD's. A good vinyl system is not in reach. Surround sound can be cute but I can setup a two channel system with more realism for voice. What area are you in. What room are you using. and how big is it. EDIT: I did not see room size but what is 7 by 4 is that meters?

Last edited:
Both ... <G>

I've got a dedicated contemporary surround system for the video thing, and an old school quad (with center channel) for audio only. Yah, I know, you're thinking ... same thing, right? But they're both totally unique and the sound is quite different.

I've also interconnected the two systems, but seldom use it that way. More of a party thang for if I want audio in every room.

PS ... most any multi-channel material will also have a stereo track. Pretty sure it's required on SACD and DVD-a anyway.

I still haven't heard the multi channel surround system that sounds better than a high quality stereo set-up. I mean two speakers plus two channels of amplification has to be cheaper than five or seven or eleven speakers and amps!

I love surround sound, immersed like you are on stage in the middle of the performance instead of sitting in the 30th row.

Thank you both for your replies. I am living near Santa Barbara, California in the USA.

The room is about 20 by 12 feet ( 7 by 4 meters.) Floor is wall to wall carpeting. This will function as both my living and sleeping space. But I do not need to share this so I have total discretion in my choices here.)

For source, I intend to use CDs or files ripped from CDs. My collection is about 600 CDs. Due to storage limitations,I have started keeping them in binders. These are cumbersome. I own roughly 200 movie DVDS and about 50 opera DVDs. Also, due to storage limitations do not anticipate wanting to use vinyl as a source.

I am old enough to remember when quadrophonic recordings were introduced. I don't remember it ever becoming common, but I think I was still in my AM radio, top 40 listening days. Lol.

Thank you both for your replies. I am living near Santa Barbara, California in the USA.

The room is about 20 by 12 feet ( 7 by 4 meters.) Floor is wall to wall carpeting. This will function as both my living and sleeping space. But I do not need to share this so I have total discretion in my choices here.)

For source, I intend to use CDs or files ripped from CDs. My collection is about 600 CDs. Due to storage limitations,I have started keeping them in binders. These are cumbersome. I own roughly 200 movie DVDS and about 50 opera DVDs. Also, due to storage limitations do not anticipate wanting to use vinyl as a source.

I am old enough to remember when quadrophonic recordings were introduced. I don't remember it ever becoming common, but I think I was still in my AM radio, top 40 listening days. Lol.

Planetluvver, the good news is today you can purchase a really great sounding system well within your budget. For a 2 channel receiver check out the 202 and the 301 on this page:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/home-theater-receivers-stereo-receivers/105

For speakers there have been good reviews of the Daytons

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/floor-standing-tower-speakers/98

Finally, don't forget about a sub and the 80 watt unit is paired often with the Dayton towers:

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/powered-subwoofers/95

Hope you find this helpful...
Regards,
Jerry

Although there are plenty of AK'ers here who love watching movies in surround-sound, I think AK is more of a place for stereo enthusiasts. The home theater folks have one forum on this site, and while many younger members began with HT systems, a lot of them end up wondering if stereo would serve them better, especially if they are on a tight budget. I'm not knocking HT by any means, but from your posts, it sound as though you are more audio oriented than visual-oriented, with your singing and instrument playing. A good two-channel system is so, so much better than TV speakers, and there is nothing preventing you from running TV and movie audio through a stereo, so you can get quite satisfying sound, without the complications and expense of quality surround-sound equipment. In short, I think traditional stereo would be a better choice for you.

Welcome to AK! :)

Surround done right is the best thing that's happened to music reproduction since the invention of stereo. That said, on a budget and in a small space which will also have your bedroom furniture, stereo is a no-brainer. If you've already got a DVD player, you can get something like a NAD 3020 DAC/integrated amplifier and use the DVD player's digital out so it just works as a CD transport. The 3020 can also connect to your computer for your rips. Use what's left for some nice bookshelf speakers and/or headphones and you'll have a very nice system. There are tons of options out there.

Thank you. I think the first decision has been made, a stereo system.

With my last stereo, the components were all hooked together with cables, and the signals used were likely analog. Video was coaxial cable. Speakers were connected to receiver with speaker wire. I don't know if that is still common today. Do today's amplifiers and receivers have digital inputs?

As far as equipment goes, I currently own my cell phone and a Playstation 2. Nothing else. No pc, dvd player, tv, speakers, amp, receiver,etc. When I decided to sell my house, I had no idea what my future living situation would be, so everything except my media and the Playstation went. FWIW, I was still using an old analog TV with a picture tube. LOL. Also, moved four times since June.

I am living with my son, and sometimes watch videos with son and DIL.While music is important to me, they turn on NPR for the dog when leaving it home alone. Son has Wi-Fi that I can use.

As far as computers go, I have used Linux for perhaps ten years now. I also relied on tech support provided by the builder of my machine. Son uses Windows, so I am not sure which operating system I will use. I have tried to assemble a desktop pc on three different occasions and was unsuccessful. (They were built out of scavenged parts, and it has been years since my last attempt. Maybe it is time to try again?) The desk I had did not have room for pc speakers, so I did not use Internet or the pc drive as a music or video source in the past.

I have a lot to learn!

Many (most) of the newer AVRs will down mix surround sound to 2ch stereo if setup to do so. With that in mind, I would suggest trying to listen to as many different speakers/components as you can and get an idea of what you like/prefer and aim towards a quality 2ch system. Friends/relatives, etc may be able to help. Also visit local brick and mortar audio stores and solicit their input/help. You may find that you can do w/o a sub (for now) and so get better, higher quality speakers initially. You have to search, but there are also headphones out there w/ separate L/R volume controls that may work for you too.

Agree w/several postings above about surround sound, but as a starter/initial system, IMO a 2ch is where you should start for your CDs and DVDs. Your local CL may be a good option too. Also checkout http://www.accessories4less.com/. A new/used universal player w/ a headphone jack is also something else to look for.

Good luck and take your time - it will be worth it in the long run.

FWIW, my main system is a kenwood 6.1 receiver feeding a pair of homemade double advents l/r, a pair of advents in custom boxes used as center channels, and three minimus-7s used for surround l/r/rear. Two velodyne subs used if the movie needs it. Not very often with six advent woofers firing across the front of the room. Two channel mode for music, either from one of the two turntables, or an old pc grabbing ripped cds from a network hard drive.

So I guess my suggestion is this: a good a/v receiver and a pair of good, stand alone speakers to start out. Then add more speakers as your needs and money dictate.

I'd recommend a 2-channel rig--perhaps starting out with one of the new Yamaha integrated amps with Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelf speakers, or Andrew Jones' new ELAC bookshelf speakers and a PE Dayton sub to supplement the bottom end. The Yamahas have built-in DACs and some have phono inputs (should you ever go that way) and are solid performers for their price points.

I did the entire HT thing when it first reared its ugly head, but running wires all over the place, and placing speakers properly was too much of a PITA, so I ditched it years ago. It did sound good when properly set up, but since 90%+ of all of the TV that I watch is news/weather/sporting events, it was just too inconvenient--especially if you wanted to keep up with current technology (more channels, more decoding formats, placement of more speakers). Now I just run 2.1 systems on all of my TVs and it works for me. YMMV

In terms of cost and availability of used gear, there is a lot more used AVR gear out there dirt cheap than stereo gear. Prices on stereo gear are on the rise, but used (out of date--by current standards) AVR gear are a dime a dozen--literally $5-20 any day of the week in my area at the thrift stores. BUT--I have never heard an AVR in 2-channel mode sound what I would consider "good"--"acceptable" maybe, but nothing "great".

Just my $0.02...

I still haven't heard the multi channel surround system that sounds better than a high quality stereo set-up. I mean two speakers plus two channels of amplification has to be cheaper than five or seven or eleven speakers and amps!

Of course two will be cheaper than more of the same/similar quality. It's not that a multi channel setup can't sound as good; it's a matter of an apples-to-apples comparison.

I agree with Savatage1973; a Yamaha stereo receiver, ELAC bookshelves, and a Dayton subwoofer would make a really nice <$1000 system. You could substitute the ELACs for a used set of higher-end speakers if you know what to look for and how to judge quality of used speakers.

Dan

What's wrong with "High Current Ultra Low Noise Toroidal Transformer"?:D

The front panel looks downright plain in comparison.

I do not know much about audio, but would like to learn to listen better. I also need to choose a new system. (See my thread in introductions for some background about me.)

I am having difficulty finding very basic information about stereo because home theater seems to be much more predominant today.

I think the first choice I need to make is between the two channels of stereo and the five channels of surround sound. I am leaning toward stereo for the following reasons. I would like to know if my reasoning is accurate. Some of this is based on things I have read, and some is my own thoughts.

I would say that my preference to listening to music over watching films is 70% versus 30%. There is a bit of a gray area for me though. I am developing a taste for watching opera on DVD. I do not know if newer operas are recorded in stereo and if not, how stereo playback affects sound quality. At this point, I do not know opera well enough to appreciate it without knowing the plot. (Even though I realize plot is relatively unimportant to opera appreciation, I still feel the need to know what is happening in the story.)

I am pretty budget concious, and right off the bat, two speakers of a higher quality will produce better sound than four speakers. Also, there is likely a lot more used stereo gear out there to choose from. And stereo equipment is more likely to be under appreciated in today's market.

I am now living with other people, so a large part of my listening may be using headphones, which are always stereo, anyway.

From what I have read, stereo sounds much more forgiving regarding poor setup, which is a benefit considering my inexperience.

On the other hand, shopping for used equipment might be unrealistic, since I do not own a car and don't drive. Buying old equipment is riskier, due to my lack of skill in evaluating quality and condition. At my particular level, surround sound could possibly not be more expensive, due to economy of scale.

Other possibly relevant factors:
I am considering a budget of about $1000. The last time I bought brand new stereo components, the current video standard was Hi-Fi VHS, so I am way out of touch with today's choices. I listen to a wide variety of music. Predominantly folk. I would like to listen to more orchestral music, but I could not enjoy it at all when I was relying on a cheap boombox. I think I prefer a relatively neutral sound. I am taking singing and ukulele lessons, and want to become more discerning about vocal subtleties. I am living in a single room, about 20 by 12 feet (7 by 4 meters). I have significant hearing loss in one ear (I don't have the report available to state the frequecies affected.) I would not mind learning a bit about fairly quick and easy diy repairs, but do not currently have any tools, nor care to invest much in tools. (A multimeter and soldering iron would be within my scope, but not an ocilliscope.)

My apologies for the length of the post. I was trying to be thorough.

Building surround system without compromising of 2 channel listening is always a best choice. But considering your VERY limited budget, you will unlikely be able to build proper surround system. Decent new AVR starts at $500, good subwoofer will cost the same and you have nothing left for speakers. What you can do now is to get quality AVR plus pair of speakers. Then when more money is available - expand to full surround. I suggest to buy left over previous year AVRs - they are commonly sold with deep discount and you can get $1000 MSRP unit for $500 that way and it will sound as good as any 2 channel integrated at the same price range.

Thank you. I think the first decision has been made, a stereo system.

With my last stereo, the components were all hooked together with cables, and the signals used were likely analog. Video was coaxial cable. Speakers were connected to receiver with speaker wire. I don't know if that is still common today. Do today's amplifiers and receivers have digital inputs?

As far as equipment goes, I currently own my cell phone and a Playstation 2. Nothing else. No pc, dvd player, tv, speakers, amp, receiver,etc. When I decided to sell my house, I had no idea what my future living situation would be, so everything except my media and the Playstation went. FWIW, I was still using an old analog TV with a picture tube. LOL. Also, moved four times since June.

I am living with my son, and sometimes watch videos with son and DIL.While music is important to me, they turn on NPR for the dog when leaving it home alone. Son has Wi-Fi that I can use.

As far as computers go, I have used Linux for perhaps ten years now. I also relied on tech support provided by the builder of my machine. Son uses Windows, so I am not sure which operating system I will use. I have tried to assemble a desktop pc on three different occasions and was unsuccessful. (They were built out of scavenged parts, and it has been years since my last attempt. Maybe it is time to try again?) The desk I had did not have room for pc speakers, so I did not use Internet or the pc drive as a music or video source in the past.

I have a lot to learn!

Today's amplifiers may have analog only, a mix of analog and digital inputs or be digital only. Digital inputs may include physical coax or optical and various wireless connectivity including Bluetooth, WIFI, Airplay and DLNA. If your PS2 has an optical or coax out, you can use it as a CD transport for an amp that takes digital inputs. If your cell phone is a relatively recent smartphone, you'll have a lot of options for using that as a source over Bluetooth.

Back
Top Bottom