New T Amp Deskset

i don't know why, but my cut and paste links aren't working. a search for AR TDS202 on ebay gets you where you wanna go

shrink, your linky no worky.

i got one of the TDS' with BIN yesterday. i followed my own advice and ordered the SI T amp from Parts Express too.

i got my SI from ecost.com. it was back ordered, but then showed up pretty quick. it is really neat. i'd love it if steve gibson did a little photo show on his repackaging projects.

Just a week ago, this seller was offering several of the TDS202 units with an opening bid of $7.99, and there were few takers.... I nabbed one on Saturday.

It looks like the interest level is climbing.....

I am almost wishing I had popped for 2 or 3 at that price... the interconnect cables alone almost justify the price.

If they work as claimed, I can think of 3 or 4 TDS applications around the house.

they must still have a bunch of 'em

I just got an e-mail back from the eBay seller in response to whether I could purchase a second TDS202 unit.... no problem... same price as the first one.

Total for 2 units with shipping to a top-secret AK pony express depot near Buffalo is $25. :thmbsp:

am I missing something?

dingus... I believe you can use any interconnects you wish to connect the TDS to your equipment... or am I misunderstanding your question...???

the input to the T amp is a stereo jack like on a portable CD player. i was hoping to avoid the Rat Shack, which is the only convieniant place locally to get a Y adapter. i thought shrinkboy might have a nifty alternative.

well... short of homebrewing your own adapter cable, the next best thing in my mind would be to buy an adapter plug (if you can find one..) that converts from phono stereo jack to a pair of RCA... Then you can use a quality pair of interconnects of your choice.

i gave in and went down to Rat Shack and bought a Y adapter for $5 and some change. it does the job just fine.

current configuration (my daughters bedroom setup):
B&O 2400 TT
Coby DVD\CDP
Pioneer SA-7100 (serving as pre-amp)
TDS202
SI T Amp
ADS L-810's

the SI T Amp is a nice little unit, it sounds a lot cleaner and sharper than the Pioneer SA-7100, and it packs plenty of punch too. as far as i can tell the TDS functions as advertised. makes for a bigger, wider soundstage, just makes everything sound a bit better. i havent heard the 810's sing like this since they were on the Luxman @ 165 wpc. all in all an impressive sounding setup, it put a big smile on my face. my daughter wont even see it till tomorrow, i know she'll be happy. the SI T Amp does get a bit warm, i think this is normal as it heated up pretty quickly and ran for well over an hour without a hitch.

also, i got the 12V adapter for the SI T Amp from Parts Express so i dont have to mess with batteries. cost for the SI T Amp, TDS unit, 12V adapter, Y adapter and shipping, was around $85. for the price, i think you would be very hard pressed to find an amp that matches the quality of sound that you get with this combination.

now if only i can con Steve into making me one of those sweet custom enclosures......

ding-- analog audio outs from the cdp to in's on the TDS, then analog out with mini connector to in plug on the T-amp

shrink

ding-- you've actually got the T-amp/TDS on the L810's? i hadn't thought of using that big a speaker. i didn't think they were efficient enough...i've got a set of L810's, i'm gonna hafta give that shot. yeah, i used the RatShack RCA y-cable to mini connector, which i think works fine. the sites that show mods for the T-amps talk about getting the mini-to-RCA adaptor, or completely desoldering and reinstalling with proper RCA in's....i have had nothing but expressions of shock as people come to grips with the fact that they are listening to a few dollars worth of electronics.

some of the mods guys say the T-amp needs no less than 100 hours to 'burn-in'. i always wonder about that, 'burn-in'....what burns in? anyway...that is one of those cable thread deals. but it does kinda make ya wonder if you shouldn't just go around the house and replace all the amps, doesn't it?

I'm using my T-amp with some inefficient Wharfedale Emerald 97 3 way, large tower speakers. Surprisingly, I get adequate sound levels in a 10 X 11 room. These Emerald speakers are very nice sounding by the way.

shrinkboy said:
ding-- you've actually got the T-amp/TDS on the L810's?
yep, till last night i was using the SA-7100 by itself to drive them, which just didnt have enough oomph to drive the 810's the way they want to be driven. the T Amp / TDS combo has no trouble getting the 810's to open up big.

shrinkboy said:
some of the mods guys say the T-amp needs no less than 100 hours to 'burn-in'.
cool, i will keep an ear on that.

VintageNut said:
I'm using my T-amp with some inefficient Wharfedale Emerald 97 3 way, large tower speakers. Surprisingly, I get adequate sound levels in a 10 X 11 room. These Emerald speakers are very nice sounding by the way.
yeah, i didnt push the volume to ear piercing levels, but i got the feeling i could have without stressing the T Amp. i will put through it some more paces today.

Isn't that SA-7100 rated about 25WPC??

It would be an impressive feat if the Sonic T outperforms your Pioneer.

Have you tried the TDS in combination with the Pioneer to compare??

hpsenicka said:
Isn't that SA-7100 rated about 25WPC??

It would be an impressive feat if the Sonic T outperforms your Pioneer.

Have you tried the TDS in combination with the Pioneer to compare??
i didnt put the TDS in line with only the SA-7100, but i do know that even with the TDS off in the current setup, the T Amp puts out a cleaner, tighter sound than the SA-7100.

Back
Top Bottom