New Tekton Double Impacts..WOW

I feel like just about anything can play back some female vocals and a walking bass line.

Yes...it can and does. Play that stuff through $20,000 speakers and $20,000 worth of amp-preamp and compare to $1,500 speakers of a similar size/configuration of the expensive speakers driven by $1000 integrated amp. Get 10 people blindfolded, play both and I bet they'd be guessing at which actually sounded better.

Yes...it can and does. Play that stuff through $20,000 speakers and $20,000 worth of amp-preamp and compare to $1,500 speakers of a similar size/configuration of the expensive speakers driven by $1000 integrated amp. Get 10 people blindfolded, play both and I bet they'd be guessing at which actually sounded better.

http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm Here's a link to double-blind test which agrees with what you are saying.

While Tom Waits isn't exactly the same, it sort of falls into that category. It sounds amazing through my Realistic Mach One (it is like Tom Waits has a home inside my speakers). I bet it would sound just as good on any decent speaker, and I also bet it wouldn't sound significantly better on more expensive speakers (it already sounds good). The recordings are well done and well-mastered (which is why it sounds good in the first place), but the amount of modulation is really low compared to a metal album. I want to know how speakers perform with material that may not be impeccably mastered, and has a lot of modulation. I want to know if the individual instruments stand out in a really dense mix. Vocal based jazz really doesn't provide those sort of conditions.

I want to how good speakers sound trying to play back something like a grindcore record, which has a lot of lows but also cymbals and lots of transients.

A pair of Double Impacts w/upgrades arrived on the doorstep Tuesday. Got them hooked up after wrestling them into place. They are big and heavy.
Like the OP said, they are fabulous. My wife and 25 year old daughter agreed, their analysis after an A/B with my old speakers were they sound more lifelike, what you would expect from a live band. There is more defined separation but the music blends together better.
I only have a few hours on them so it's too early to do a proper evaluation, but they are the real deal.

A pair of Double Impacts w/upgrades arrived on the doorstep Tuesday. Got them hooked up after wrestling them into place. They are big and heavy.
Like the OP said, they are fabulous. My wife and 25 year old daughter agreed, their analysis after an A/B with my old speakers were they sound more lifelike, what you would expect from a live band. There is more defined separation but the music blends together better.
I only have a few hours on them so it's too early to do a proper evaluation, but they are the real deal.
Out of curiosity, what are you using for amplification with them?

how clear the double bass is and how authoritatively those 27Hz, low-A, bass notes sound

Open A on a bass is 110htz. Low-A is 55htz. If you try to play a "low-low" A, the loudest sound in the room will be the your fingers sliding on the strings combined with the buzz of "fretting out".
And that's regardless of how the action is set.
Beyond that, most studio equipment can't deal with frequencies that low without breaking up.
Neither can most bass amps.....unless you're running something like club speakers with motorized drivers.

So, what do you do if you want to sound like you're playing a frequency that low on a bass, even if it's basically impossible in real life?
You add a computer synthesized bass line one, or perhaps even two, octaves lower than the bass actually plays....with a very steep roll-off.
Even then, you're basically just hearing overtones,

Last edited:
Give them about 100 hours to really open up.

Resemble what a modern Bozak Symphony might look like, one less tweeter. Interesting.

Did you get the 4ohm or 8 ohm version ? Wonder if they sound different ?

Open A on a bass is 110htz. Low-A is 55htz. If you try to play a "low-low" A, the loudest sound in the room will be the your fingers sliding on the strings combined with the buzz of "fretting out".
And that's regardless of how the action is set.
Beyond that, most studio equipment can't deal with frequencies that low without breaking up.
Neither can most bass amps.....unless you're running something like club speakers with motorized drivers.

So, what do you do if you want to sound like you're playing a frequency that low on a bass, even if it's basically impossible in real life?
You add a computer synthesized bass line one, or perhaps even two, octaves lower than the bass actually plays....with a very steep roll-off.
Even then, you're basically just hearing overtones,

Open E on a bass is 41.2Hz
Open A is 55Hz
Open D is 73.4Hz
Open G is 98Hz.
These are the same for an upright or electric.

Getting a speaker to produce 41.2Hz is not that difficult. Most "decent" full range speakers will have no problem reproducing an open E from a Bass. Most stand mounted speakers are not what I would consider to be full range.

FWIW: All of my bass amps will easily produce an open E tone from any of my electric basses or my Ampeg Baby Bass (upright electric).

The dual subs in my two channel system are equalized to -2dB at 18Hz. The reference level used is 85dB at my chair.

PS: I bet those Double Impacts sound damn good!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I have been getting my bass fix lately with the new Houston Person & Ron Carter "Remember Love" disc. If you like mellow jazz.

You can hear Houston taking in and blowing out breaths, and Ron's fingers moving. Just the two of them on every track. If your a fan of stand up bass do yourself a favor and get this disc. Very well recorded, lots of space and the bass is greeeeeeeat.

I have been getting my bass fix lately with the new Houston Person & Ron Carter "Remember Love" disc. If you like mellow jazz.

You can hear Houston taking in and blowing out breaths, and Ron's fingers moving. Just the two of them on every track. If your a fan of stand up bass do yourself a favor and get this disc. Very well recorded, lots of space and the bass is greeeeeeeat.

Houston Person is a great sax player! He reminds me of Gene Ammons and that is high praise.

Mine are 4 ohm. First handful of plays were to check how instruments sounded, last night some vocalists. Eva Cassidy, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash. Very impressive.

I heard these sound very good with real music, and not just the usual jazzy stuff with no balls used to demo insanely priced speakers at the shows. Play Zeppelin or something like that through $30,000+ "audiophile" speakers and it usually sounds like $hit. You know...the kind of speakers the gray haired idiots drool over at Stereophile.

Man do I hate the word Audiophile. The definition lookup of this word should have a creepy old man wearing $20,000 headphones with his finger up Michael Fremer's bunghole.
Really, I'm finding it's the rock speakers that won't play anything else.

Thanks for that, Joe. I been wondering how these stack up against JBL's.

Seems everyone mentions almost every brand of speaker except that one. ;)

Cosmo - know EXACTLY what you mean. Everything is vocal and/or jazz. Dave Brubeck, some woman singing about living in a tree house, Dire Straits, maybe a few others. It's infuriating. And I LIKE jazz and Dire Straits...or did. But it's never metal, CLASSICAL, never electronic...nothing showcasing lower registers or scale. Makes me sick. If you want to show off a speaker, especially a full-ranger, use more than one or two genres (or artists) for crying out loud. Grrrr. I think I can actually remember the few videos I've seen that played something more gutsy.

I'm not really a JBL fan. Horn tweeters don't work for me. OTOH, I'd love to hear those Tektons.

Back
Top Bottom