New Thorens Power Supply

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Ilikevinyl, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Ilikevinyl

Ilikevinyl Cool Breeze Subscriber

Recently installed this Thorens Power Supply from "Vinyl Passion" in the U.K.. No soldering required, which is the main reason why I purchased it. My motor capacitor on my Thorens TD-160 needed to be replaced. I hate to solder stuff so this was a blessing. After I installed it, my motor vibration was just about gone, barely feel any when I touched the motor housing. I do notice an even darker background, which I had before. Leading and ending of musical notes are more precise, everthing seems to sound just right! You can also use this power supply for a Linn Sondek LP-12! When ordering, make sure you tell them it's for a 16 pole motor (Thorens), and 120V (USA). Linn Sondek would be 24 pole motor. There's also a motor fuse on the power supply. Highly recommended it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vinyl-Pass...4&hash=item4d256e6359:g:EMcAAOSwajVUM~ul#rwid

Please register to disable this ad.

2. bang4buck

bang4buck Well-Known Member

Except we're not talking about signal wires here, we're talking about mains AC voltage connections. If somebody's not comfortable working on those, I really don't think talking down to them is helpful. I find it perfectly reasonable to opt for a ready-made solution instead.

3. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

From the look of the eBay product, the Original Poster listed, he's got to connect it to AC line power connections as well -
    cut the wires and slip them into a screw down block. If he does that wrong or gets frazzled ends touching outside the connector,
    its an Oh No Mr Bill moment anyway. :eek:

If he is afraid of touching AC connectors on an unplugged turntable,
    I'm not sure what difference it makes soldering or crimping them.

That's not talking down to anyone, its being sensible.
    Don't fool with things you are afraid of. Period.

tnsilver likes this.
  4. jgannon

jgannon AK Subscriber Subscriber

All he did was say he tried something out and he liked it. It would be one thing to point out that a simple soldiering job could do the same thing for a lot less money. But it's another thing when it's accompanied by a sneering attitude. The OP is also one of the stalwart members of the AK community. I also happen to know him very well and he communicated to me privately how excited he was to get this product which he felt might help him out with his turntable. He wasn't shilling for the product in any way, but merely trying to pass on to others something that worked for him.

5. Ilikevinyl

Thank You, for removing that first posters remark. :thumbsup: I tried to answer him as calmly as I could. ;) He was partly right about components costing much cheaper. I do know how to solder but I find it to be a pain. I bought this product to make the repair much simpler. I guess convenience cost money these days.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 3:12 PM
    ETLS likes this.
  6. Ilikevinyl

The power cord is anchored down, won't slip out of the power supply. I'm the only one using the turntable, so it won't be bumped or moved. I understand your concern of a wire coming disconnected. I made sure that every wire is tightly connected. They give you 4 small feet with sticky adhesive underneath to attach it to the top plate (underneath). Fits perfectly in the space where the original power supply was.

KentTeffeteller likes this.

7. bobins08

bobins08 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the info Steve. Glad to see your still tweaking your TD 160. I’m going to return mine to duty, probably after the summer, I’m loving my tricked out XB right now.

Keep spinning, Bob

Ilikevinyl likes this.
  8. lini

lini just me...

Ilv: Hmmm, but does that solution really make that much sense? I mean, from the pic it would seem that it's basically the usual, simple solution with a drop-down resistor, a phase-shifting cap for the second motor winding and an anti-sparking cap for the switch - just with an extra fuse holder plus fuse. And except that fuse all parts are soldered to the little board, so if one of the caps fails, a person, who can't or doesn't want to solder, would need to buy a new "Wave", which doesn't exactly seem cheap, or have the broken one repaired.

Hence for someone, who can't or doesn't want to solder and who might also not want to spend 55 quid for a solution that wouldn't really offer much of an improvement over the original solution, I'd think it would make more sense and be a good bit cheaper as well to simply re-implement the original solution, but use a row of... uhm... let me look up the English word for "Lüsterklemmen"... ah, ok: "lustre terminals" instead of a PCB for that purpose, so that all parts would be easily swappable. And of course one could also add a fuse to that lustre-terminal-based solution with a suitable in-line fuse holder, if one would like to. Granted, though, such a solution would surely look less tidy, and I'm also not quite sure, whether such a solution would still comply with current electric safety regulations (*).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

*) I vaguely remember having seen such a solution inside at least one of the older Thorens models, though...

tnsilver likes this.
  9. bang4buck

bang4buck Well-Known Member

That's called a "terminal strip" (at least here in the US).

Please keep in mind that multiple entries have been removed from this thread, including the ones where the moderator explained why. I believe we're all in agreement that this power supply board isn't some radical new technology, and may be a little expensive for what it is. The issue was the attitude with which this was pointed out to the OP.

10. hjames

hjames dancing madly backwards ... Staff Member Moderator Subscriber

Yep. It seems to be a pricey approach, and while folks may be able to do similar thing with a DIY approach, the OP reminded us that not everybody does soldering.
    The point is to be friendly while sharing such info, and not being judgemental on how folks approach an improvement in sound.

The real point is enjoying the music - and learning better ways to get there!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:53 AM
  11. lini

lini just me...

b4b: Oh, I see...

Oh, and I forgot to mention: Some manufacturers also offer anti-sparking caps with integrated series resistor, the use of which isn't a bad idea for further improved sparking suppression.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini