New to Akai GX-77 -- Help!

intv7

Hi gang -- hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Any and all help would be much appreciated!!

I've just recently come into possession of an Akai GX-77 reel-to-reel deck and so far I am really enjoying it. However, I have never used a R2R deck before, and I must admit from the start that I am not the most technically knowledgeable about tape decks. I've had it for about 4-5 days, and just yesterday it started playing only the left channel when I play in reverse direction. When I play forward, they're fine.

It's my understanding that the tape head on the right side is what plays in forward direction, and the one on the left is the reverse. I've given it a good cleaning and it's still not playing the right channel. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks for your input!

-Kevin

Well, if it plays both channels going fwd, then you can (for now) rule out a problem with the preamps. Sounds like you first need to thoroughly clean the heads - and see how dirty the reverse direction playback head is! That might solve your problem. Use 91% or higher ISP alcohol and cotton swabs to do this if you haven't done it before.

Don't clean the rubber parts with this, however. Just the heads and guides.

See if that helps or not and then let us know.

You need to clean these switches with Deoxit. That should bring the channel back.

Attachments

• GX77.jpg
    GX77.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 56
Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Exactly which switches are these? Tough to tell on the schematic.

Last edited:
yea

If it is like mine. I went to record on it the other day and since I don't do that often. The r/l knob to select the record level freaked out. After a few turns they worked. But this is the first time I needed to do that. So it is time for a good cleaning. I confirmed this by listening to the output and could hear the static when adjusting the knobs. Got to love 3 head decks. Also if you have not done it. I have 2 decks and have not. But if you find yourself tearing 2 far into it. Might consider getting new belts for it. Perhaps somebody could chime in a good place. I see them on ebay but don't know if that is a good kit or not.

TTFN,

Josh

Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Exactly which switches are these? Tough to tell on the schematic.

That's not a schematic. It's a drawing of the circuit board. Just find the board that looks like the drawing. I have indicated where the switches are. Board on the bottom of the deck.

The Deoxit did the trick! I was a little nervous about opening the unit as I really am a novice with that sort of thing, but it worked. Thanks for all the help!

Hello everybody!

I've just got AKAI Gx77. It was working fine couple days, but today I noticed that there is no sound in reverse direction. I've cleaned the heads, but nothing changed. Where to I have to look to fix it?
Thanks for helping out (and sorry for for my english)

Ugis

Back
Top Bottom