New to Audiophile u-verse

Is this a good beginning set-up?

• Total voters

bdeihc

Hey All, newbie here... Just got my set-up going. I am new to this and sorta trying to find my footing but here is my set-up... I Inherited my mom's record collection and her husband gave me a TT for free to play them. I am really into vintage things right now and I was really into these vintage speakers I found so I added those in as well...

• TT - Pioneer PL-660 - Received for free - Circa 1985
  • Receiver - Harmon/Kardon HK-330 Vi - Purchased - Circa 1988
  • Speakers - Zenith Omnidirectional Speakers circa 1968

Just a few questions for some feedback and for my own knowledge...
  • Any feedback on each piece would be great
  • I really like the look of the speakers but am wondering am I getting great sound? Should I look for something in similar style that doesn't break the bank and gives me great quality sound?
  • I'm kinda really into the Kenwood receivers from the 60's and 70's for appearance and make..(specifically KR06400, or KA-7300) better receivers than the HK?

Thanks

B

Attachments

• IMG_5850.jpg
    IMG_5850.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5849.JPG
    IMG_5849.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5848.JPG
    IMG_5848.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 108
Yeah. Whether or not you like it all now, the urge to go up the ladder will probably hit. It's these darn sites! And of course, access to the internet in general. Never before have people had access to so much great audio equipment.

You have a nice system. Your speakers are unusual, with a 360 degree radiation pattern. Try them in different locations, and get used to how your albums sound through them. At some point, maybe get a different pair of speakers. They will sound different. Can you hear more things in your music?

Rinse and repeat...

:)

Thanks all! ...yeah I kinda have the bug... because I'm into the vintage aspect I kinda wanna check out various options from the 60's and 70's...

When I think back to the Scott 222, 350, the Garrard , and the RCA speakers, I can't really find any fault with what you have started with. But remember speakers are always the most critical building block of your system. My next step was Stephen Woofers, Oxford tweeter, and a Davis enclosure. Next came Fisher electronics and then Altec Coronados. Back to Scott, then Mcintosh mono amps. And from then on I should have kept a diary. Turntables by Thorens, and Arm after arm after Arm. with so many different cartridges if I hadn't made a list I wouldn't no where to start today. By 1981 I decided to stand pat for close to 30 years and follow other interests. But sound was always number ONE followed by photography and travel as hobbies.

I agree with Joe and you. The speakers can be bettered very easily with some nice vintage units from Craigslist for short money. The HK is a fine sounding unit and the Kenwoods although very nice units and probably more powerful might not sound quite as good but the difference in electronics sound is very small compared to the difference in the sound of speakers. Even some small Polk, EPI, Advent, Paradigm speakers will sound better than the Zeniths, assuming the surround on the woofer is in good shape and the tweeters work. Add a sub and you have something.

If you like the sound of what you have, in general, you have done just fine getting onto the ladder to pursue upgrades as you feel they are necessary.

Thanks all! ...yeah I kinda have the bug... because I'm into the vintage aspect I kinda wanna check out various options from the 60's and 70's...

Welcome, bdeihc. I agree that different speakers would be a good, next move for you. Would you mind telling us in what part of the world you live? If you look at my avatar, I broadcast my town and state to the world, whereas Blue Shadow, above me in the thread, provides a more general area, which also works. Of course, it is optional to share anything like that - no biggie either way. But there are a lot of gearheads hanging around here who might just help fix you up with a pair of spares for little cost, if they know you happen to be nearby.

Last edited:
Hey All, newbie here... Just got my set-up going. I am new to this and sorta trying to find my footing but here is my set-up... I Inherited my mom's record collection and her husband gave me a TT for free to play them. I am really into vintage things right now and I was really into these vintage speakers I found so I added those in as well...

• TT - Pioneer PL-660 - Received for free - Circa 1985
  • Receiver - Harmon/Kardon HK-330 Vi - Purchased - Circa 1988
  • Speakers - Zenith Omnidirectional Speakers circa 1968

Just a few questions for some feedback and for my own knowledge...
  • Any feedback on each piece would be great
  • I really like the look of the speakers but am wondering am I getting great sound? Should I look for something in similar style that doesn't break the bank and gives me great quality sound?
  • I'm kinda really into the Kenwood receivers from the 60's and 70's for appearance and make..(specifically KR06400, or KA-7300) better receivers than the HK?

Thanks

B
Well the KA-7300 isn't a receiver, no tuner involved. That said it's a great integrated amplifier that can later morph into a nice preamp if and when you decide to go the separate power amp route. I'm currently using one as a pre with a Belles Model I amp in one of my systems.

If you can score one with the rack handles all the better.

As the others have said, the Zenith speakers are the weakest link in your audio chain, best relegated along with an inexpensive receiver to a garage system, etc.

Thanks. I figured the speakers were the weak link. I just like the style. Seems one is also louder than the other. I had to adjust the balance to test... sure enough one seemed louder so i think maybe one has been refurbed... Also... My HK received just completely quit working... Not sure what happened. I was listening to the tuner and it just shut of... Guess I'll have to have it looked at, any recommendation or ideas on trouble shooting?

Blowing fuses is usually a sign of something not right. You said one speaker was louder than the other, check for a possible short or problem with the speaker that is not as loud as the other. The problem with that speaker could be reason your blowing fuses. Just a wild guess actually but without checking with meters all you can do is guess.

I’m gonna get a new fuse tomorrow. Seems like ace hardware carries this type of fuse. We’ll see. I’m curious as to whether or not the record player resting on top of the reciever didn’t contribute to overheating and blowing the fuse... thoughts?

Welcome to AK, bdeihc. Good to have you.

Upgrade the speakers first. My family owned a set of the Zenith Circle of Sound speakers, and we had a fantastic bit of fun from them.' But they are far, far, away from any acceptable level of speakers that will give you a nice springboard into those that will simply mesmerize you. So, first, go forth and find ye a nice set of Smaller Advent loudspeakers. Live with them for a while. Allow them to tell you exactly what you do and do not like about them. Make note of those likes and dislikes, and then move up to a speaker that most closely fills the audio memory you have in your head.

Must check out now - my Ambien is singing my lulabyes.

GeeDeeEmm

Welcome to AK and the world of audio. How far down the rabbit hole you tumble is all up to you. Here's hoping it was just a weak fuse or a speaker problem and nothing is wrong with your receiver. Yes it's a good idea to put some space between your amp and TT for some breathing room.

Keep your eye on local sale sites for some inexpensive speakers to upgrade from the Zeniths. When you find something that peaks your interest do your research here and all over the net to see what they are worth and what others think of them. At 25 watts per channel that HK doesn't have a lot of power so keep your search modest depending upon your budget. There are some nice speakers, vintage and otherwise that will match well. Pay attention to the specs for the speakers like watts needed or max watts and efficiency in dB's. The higher the dB rating the more efficient and the easier they will be on your amp at volume.

Good luck with everything!

Back
Top Bottom