New to British audio

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by JMiP, Feb 24, 2018.

1. JMiP

JMiP AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hello all (mates?). I just bought a clamshell version of the Rega Elicit amp and while I'm awaiting it's arrival, I have a few questions:

1) One of the RCA inputs in the back has lost its sleeves. Where can I find replacements for them? Anywhere or are these made of British unobtanium featuring the blood, sweat, and tears of Norton motorcycle owners? Also, do they just slide into place or is soldering into place needed? No problem if that's the case.

2) How does one open these clamshell units? Is this a process that is outlined in the manual (of which there is one that is coming with the amp, I believe)? I enjoy looking at the innards of electronic devices.

3) Right now, I am running a pair of Acoustic Research AR-2ax which are nice, but require a lot of juice from the amp to get them to their potential. Should I also start looking for some other speakers? Or should what I have be OK? I guess the real answer will be when I get the amp in place and just listen to some music.

4) This will be my first amp without tone controls. Oh man, what have I gotten myself into?

I feel like I missed my opportunity for an "innit" and to proclaim my love for Crystal Palace football.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

sleeves? you mean the cylindrical metallic cover used as the RCA g
    round
    . if so, and
    if it's a standard size, then pull one off an RCA connector. post picture and I can send
    you one free. measure also in case you use an old smartphone at midnight to take a
    picture I can't see. PM me after posting picture. do note any ground connections to
    your unit that a plain sleeve may not totally connect correctly.

clamshell? like laptop? or portable CD player? post picture. look for screws at back and/or bottom
    or post URL of picture.

you don't need tone controls. use the ARs til you find something better.

enjoy, British audio is fantastic.

3. JMiP

I do not yet have the unit. I bought it from another AKer in Barter Town last night. The following are photos that he took of the unit.

Check out the AUX input

[​IMG]

4. JMiP

And here's a photo of the front of the amp. They called this a "clamshell" design. Or, at least, someone is calling it that.

Note the little tabs on the front left edge that is closest to us.

[​IMG]

5. Bob

Bob AK Subscriber Subscriber

pictures don't show up.

6. JMiP

Please register to disable this ad.