New to Fisher, so decided to buy a few :)

I'll have to check on the meter in AM but I'm 99% sure it does. It was probably a modernization move away from the tubes for tuning in the "C's. It was listed as a "PROFESSIONAL TYPE" not "professional". There is a difference. Professional type meaning it looks like a pro meter but isn't. And it isn't a pro meter. FISHER's marketing Dept was not in lockstep with the engineering dept., and wrote up stuff that today would put someone in jail for misleading the public. It was Hype, all Hype and nothing but Hype! And the Public ate it up, not knowing any better. Everything in the Early 60's was styling styling styling, without substance to back it up. Look at the cars from the 50's and 60's. BIG Fender's, BIG Fins, Big everything excpet for the engines. Mostly 6 banger's that made, if you were lucky, about 100 brake horsepower. The V-8's for the most part were all less than 1 hp per Cubic inch. Now you have 4 bangers that are putting out close to 250hp (normally aspirated) but at the top end of the power curve. Those 60's 6's had more torque than most 8's, but due to the design of the 6's then couldn't pull the rev's of the 8's (I'm not talking Ferrari's Lambo's or other Ital or French jobs. Strictly US stuff.) It was all Marketing Hype, and fluff.

Look at Magnavox at about the same time. They switched their whole damned line from tubes to transistors in ONE YEAR. 1962 tubes, 1963 transistors. ASTRO-SONIC was the line's name. Evoked images of the JETSON's, space age, and NASA! All 3 were big at the time. Magnavox had their biggest year in 1963 with the introduction of the ASTRO-SONIC's. They ALL used germanium transistors, but they were readily cross referenced to the original RCA parts manuals at the time. And they were cheap compared to the costs of FISHER's. The masses loved them, and their many cabinets, and amp tuner and speaker combinations. Most sounded like crap but the wive's loved their big furniture.

Last edited:
Magnavox had their biggest year in 1963 with the introduction of the ASTRO-SONIC's. They ALL used germanium transistors, but they were readily cross referenced to the original RCA parts manuals at the time. And they were cheap compared to the costs of FISHER's. The masses loved them, and their many cabinets, and amp tuner and speaker combinations. Most sounded like crap but the wive's loved their big furniture.

Were there any "audiophile-grade" consoles back in the 1960s? Or was it mostly just targeted at people who were not technically inclined to pick their own components -- or wanted WAF furniture?

Did the audiophiles then mostly go for separate components (for example to avoid turntable feedback that could occur in a console when the turntable was positioned near a speaker)?

In general, how did the early germanium stuff sound that Fisher implemented vs their tube stuff?

Last edited:
I'll have to check on the meter in AM but I'm 99% sure it does. It was probably a modernization move away from the tubes for tuning in the "C's. It was listed as a "PROFESSIONAL TYPE" not "professional". There is a difference. Professional type meaning it looks like a pro meter but isn't. And it isn't a pro meter. FISHER's marketing Dept was not in lockstep with the engineering dept., and wrote up stuff that today would put someone in jail for misleading the public. It was Hype, all Hype and nothing but Hype! And the Public ate it up, not knowing any better. Everything in the Early 60's was styling styling styling, without substance to back it up. Look at the cars from the 50's and 60's. BIG Fender's, BIG Fins, Big everything excpet for the engines. Mostly 6 banger's that made, if you were lucky, about 100 brake horsepower. The V-8's for the most part were all less than 1 hp per Cubic inch. Now you have 4 bangers that are putting out close to 250hp (normally aspirated) but at the top end of the power curve. Those 60's 6's had more torque than most 8's, but due to the design of the 6's then couldn't pull the rev's of the 8's (I'm not talking Ferrari's Lambo's or other Ital or French jobs. Strictly US stuff.) It was all Marketing Hype, and fluff.

Look at Magnavox at about the same time. They switched their whole damned line from tubes to transistors in ONE YEAR. 1962 tubes, 1963 transistors. ASTRO-SONIC was the line's name. Evoked images of the JETSON's, space age, and NASA! All 3 were big at the time. Magnavox had their biggest year in 1963 with the introduction of the ASTRO-SONIC's. They ALL used germanium transistors, but they were readily cross referenced to the original RCA parts manuals at the time. And they were cheap compared to the costs of FISHER's. The masses loved them, and their many cabinets, and amp tuner and speaker combinations. Most sounded like crap but the wive's loved their big furniture.

This is one of the best rants I have seen in a long time. I love it!

When it comes to consoles, I would love a Fisher. The seller of my 202T parted out the console because he said the speakers were not that great. Plus he made a killing on the monoblock power amps. I'd imagine you could put whatever speakers you wanted in one and have a terrific unit. As far as germanium transistors, I've found they usually end up having a bit of leakage / noise after all these years. I collected very early transistor receivers for awhile but it was rare that the sound quality from one amazed me.

Were there any "audiophile-grade" consoles back in the 1960s? Or was it mostly just targeted at people who were not technically inclined to pick their own components -- or wanted WAF furniture? I wouldn't classify any factory console as "AUDIOPHILE GRADE". the speakers were generally the weak link. They weren't that bad but by today's standards they were very weak. Pick a Co. and look for the consoles with full separates. Pull the gut's out and add really good speakers. Now you have an extremely pissed off wife, and really good gear. WAF furniture wasn't wanted by the guys. They had to accept the cabinets or it was a cold day in hell when the bed was available for anything, including sleeping! No console cabinet? You get Cold shoulder, cold feet, and cold food, and a definate lack of her lipstick on your collar. Back then a console was a status symbol in some areas for the wife . The bigger the better.

Did the audiophiles then mostly go for separate components (for example to avoid turntable feedback that could occur in a console when the turntable was positioned near a speaker)? Yes. And they still do.

In general, how did the early germanium stuff sound that Fisher implemented vs their tube stuff? Very close to the same. A little more forceful in the mids and a little less in the bass, but quite nice. 2 of my consoles are Hybrids (both 65's. Custom Electra VIII and a FUTURA VI.) the C.E. VIII sounds very much like a 400, andthe Futura sounds very much like an 800. 8" in the CE and 10's in the Futura for bass drivers. Even the 2nd Gen receivers with germaniums sounded good. Germaniums are more sensitive to cap leakage, and they themselves leak, so you check for DC on the output's more. But as long as there is no DC on the output's.and the bias is within spec(very narrow window here) they work surprisingly well.

Answers in the quote in RED.

Answers in the quote in RED.

Thanks! A lot of folks say the early Germaniums sounded pretty euphonic but weren't as stable as the silicon that followed. What percentage of the Germaniums in your Fisher gear were leaking and is it hard to find replacements? Did the more stable first generation of silicon transistors in Fisher gear sound as good as the earlier Germanium transistors?

The fourth Fisher from this guy, a parts-unit 500c, ended up not being worth it. No case, feet, or output tubes. Missing one tube shield, fuse holder, and three knobs. Some areas of faceplate lettering worn off. He also had a 500B that was totally picked clean, so I passed on that too. He did offer to sell me FOUR MORE Fisher receivers once he digs them up. Excited to see what they are! Sadly, will probably be another few weeks before I get to see those. At least one is an 800c. :)

The fourth Fisher from this guy, a parts-unit 500c, ended up not being worth it. No case, feet, or output tubes. Missing one tube shield, fuse holder, and three knobs. Some areas of faceplate lettering worn off. He also had a 500B that was totally picked clean, so I passed on that too. He did offer to sell me FOUR MORE Fisher receivers once he digs them up. Excited to see what they are! Sadly, will probably be another few weeks before I get to see those. At least one is an 800c. :)

Congrats! Yep, you've got the Fisher bug really bad. I think I've caught it too. :)

Back
Top Bottom