New To Me Cornwalls, I Have Some Questions Concerns

Thanks. I am contemplating a Cornscala type mod. As a fan of the big Altec 2 way sound if I do mod them I will likely go with the Cornscala D style 2 way. My big hangup is that I always keep resale in mind. Maybe end up with all new cabinets. Hell I dont know, lots of options.

Made a quick model of what I want to do. It's not done. Based on the original Cornwall sized cabinet. Need some dimensions for motorboats cutouts. This shows my intent for bracing. I will add a vertical bracing as well in the same fashion as the horizontal. Once finalized I will dump the files into the CNC router.
20170118_165716.jpg
The braces are not in there final location. Maybe I won't need both. Have to wait and see how it all fits together when I get some more info and dimensions

Just a little update. Thought I would give this thread some closure. Since I found a set of Cornwall IIs local to me (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cornwall-ii-questions.765156/) my Dad kept these and fixed them up. He fixed the holes on the front baffle and painted it. Painted the back and braced it internally, built some risers and sanded & oiled the veneer. He plans to recap and be done. Not sure what he will hook them up to. Maybe a G8000.
Resized952017042995112329.jpg Resized952017042995110632.jpg

How do the braces work? I've considered trying it but not sure how or if I should. Plus mine have the padding inside.

I think he just added a couple ribs from top to bottom of the back panel. If one was inclined to move the crossover and some padding a brace horizontally from left to right could be added and then tied to the front baffle with another brace but you would have add some screws to the back panel to tie into that horizontal brace.

The Crites tweeters will give more uniform matched highs and new crossovers will be redesigned to get optimum performance and protection for your new tweeters and will guaranty better midrange to tweeter performance. I would save my money and get the woofers re-coned as soon as possible. It will allow your speakers to handle more power with less distortion. Bob will tell you if that recommendation is not valid up grade and the woofers should be replaced.

When finished you will have some outstanding Klipsch speakers.

The Crites tweeters will give more uniform matched highs and new crossovers will be redesigned to get optimum performance and protection for your new tweeters and will guaranty better midrange to tweeter performance. I would save my money and get the woofers re-coned as soon as possible. It will allow your speakers to handle more power with less distortion. Bob will tell you if that recommendation is not valid up grade and the woofers should be replaced.

When finished you will have some outstanding Klipsch speakers.

If one desired to do all that why even bother with buying an old pair of speakers? May as well just buy all new components and build your own cabinets. But does one then really have a pair of Klipsch speakers? I think sometimes this kind of thing goes a bit too far.

The OP came by and posted but didn't bother with my question... am I out of line for asking what they are worth in that condition?
Don't know if this will help, but I bought a pair of '76 Cornwall Decorators that had grills made for them (may have come as a kit from Klipsch) that are bone stock for $400.

Don't know if this will help, but I bought a pair of '76 Cornwall Decorators that had grills made for them (may have come as a kit from Klipsch) that are bone stock for $400.
Nice. I would not turn that down. I'm loving my quartets but I want to go bigger now that my pre-conceived about Klipsch, thanks internet, have been proven false.

Back
Top Bottom