New to me HH Scott LK 72

I saw those videos, too. Awesome sound. Who in the world does that version of "Don't Let Go"? I like it more than the original. Have listened to it a few times. Can't find who it is.
The track is Thief-Don't Let Go (En Vogue Cover)

The track is Thief-Don't Let Go (En Vogue Cover)

Thank you. Know the song. Who does this cover? I like it better than the original....

Sorry to go off thread.

Oops...it's BY thief. (Couldn't find it on yt.) Thank you. It's brilliant. Especially on that brilliant system.

Last edited:
Nice job! I live in Ireland but picked up an LK72 a while ago. I had it checked by my local tech and replaced the selenium rectifier as suggested along with most of the tubes with NOS hh scott tubes mainly. It was sounding great but lately has developed a fairly audible hiss and the odd crackle etc.. This sounds to me like a possible bad tube or socket somewhere but could it be the caps? I never got it recapped as my tech said it was all running fine and I was also reluctant to change out original parts for fear of altering the original sound of the amp too much. Is a full recap truly necessary and how will it affect the sound and performance? Can anyone recommend the absolute best caps to install and what I would need to get to give to my tech to do this job the absolute best way and most faithful to the original components? Any advice would be much appreciated!

LK-72 roughly equals the 299C (which had at least 7 various versions) and the LK-72B Is approximately a 299D. All good amplifiers.

Well, I just recapped my LK72B, replaced some functional but failing tubes and adjusted balance and bias and all I can say is the sound is much better than when it had the original old and aging parts. Plus I now have the peace of mind that I've significantly reduced the chance of the amp self destructing or taking out a transformer.

At the very least, I think most people would recommend that you have your tubes tested and replace the output tube coupling caps. You may also want to replace the electrolytics in the power supply if they haven't been already.

Also, keep in mind that noises, pops and crackles could just be dirty oxidized switches or pots. An easy fix but must be done the right way with the right products. Switches get Deoxit. Pots can too but you want to remove excess and follow up with some kind of greaseless lubricant.

BTW, I didn't install any boutique, expensive caps either. Just quality Cornell Dublier poly's except for a couple of the polarized caps on the power input section. Same capacitance with most getting higher voltage ratings.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Steve

Last edited:
At the risk of going OT, this week I pulled out another Scott amplifier to evaluate its condition. I thought that it was a 222 or 299. Turns out, it is a 299B. I remember that amplifier because it was obvious that the power transformer had suffered a melt down. How did I know? Well... the brown residue near the holes where the wires exited the transformer, the tar spattered on parts that were near the small openings near the laminations. Such a disappointment. "But wait, there's more!" one of the output transformers has an open primary.

Boy, did I get taken on that purchase years ago!!!

"We will now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...".

KV, it's not like you'll miss this one... as I remember you have a museum of Scott gear, isn't it? :)

KV, it's not like you'll miss this one... as I remember you have a museum of Scott gear, isn't it? :)

I may have a few pieces of HH Scott equipment. I just brought out a completely original 222D that I bought a few years ago. Rectifier is Mullard Scott labeled GZ34. Every other tube is Telefunken, including the 6U8 driver/phase inverters and 7189 outputs. Even still has the Siemens Selenium Rectifier. After I bench test it for a few hours (Monitoring the temperature of filters, and current draw) I will take voltage readings. It obviously has had very little use.

Do you remember where you found such a low hours unit?

Curious here Don...care to share how may Scotts you have?

-Steve

Steve, many are still packed away. What I do know is that I have all 299 series amps. The 299 both in the first edition and second, three 299B, one of which is trashed, a couple 299C and at least one 299D. I also have a few LK-72/Lk-72B as well as the LK-48/LK-48B. Also, let us not forget the 200/200B, of which I have a few. And the 210B, I have two and 209E, I have two or three packed away.

I am finally at my destination, Florida and I am able to get them out, evaluate if I want them, evaluate if I want to restore them and if necessary, sell them.

I have had the Chocolate/Brown face LK-72 for about 6 months now I would say. Completely redone, nuts to guts. Been playing it on Klipsch because of so many saying they are a nice pairing, and they are, but then...

I just acquired a pair of Altec 604b Hollywood's. For the love of jelly doughnuts. My journey has rounded out. I am now on to source and interconnects. I almost feel sad because I love the hunt so much. I am sure I will amp swap, and have... plenty already, but I came circling back the LK. There just does not seem to be a comparison to my ears. I know there is enough support here about this but I wanted to chime in on the Altec/Scott pairing.

It is a pure wonderment of sound. Here is a recording I did last night from my iPhone using the Altec's and the Scott. Technics SL-1301 TT using a Stanton 681 EEE-S II. Source is vinyl Vanessa Fernandez - I want you. Sorry so dark but will also include some pics besides the video.

KP7FRLz.jpg

iePR84v.jpg

kq8BSEp.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation. It'll be years before I'm lucky enough to find a combination like this, if ever. Do you know if the Valencia's are close to the Hollywoods in sound? Just trying to understand the hierarchy of the Altec Lansing line.

Still, it's nice to dream and admire :)

The Hollywoods at least make acquiring a nice pair of Heresy's to go along with my LK72B more realistic, from a cost perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. It'll be years before I'm lucky enough to find a combination like this, if ever. Do you know if the Valencia's are close to the Hollywoods in sound? Just trying to understand the hierarchy of the Altec Lansing line.

Still, it's nice to dream and admire :)

The Hollywoods at least make acquiring a nice pair of Heresy's to go along with my LK72B more realistic, from a cost perspective.
I am stupid brand new to Altec. These are only the second Altec's I have ever heard. The others were Model 15 with the Manta-ray horn. It was good but nothing in the atmosphere of the 604b's in my opinion. So I think I am not a good person to ask in the respect.

However, every Klipsch I have ever heard on the Scott was very very good. Forte, KG's, etc...

In regards also to new, faster, music, I too think the Scott is amazing on all genres of music.

Wasn't the LK series a kit form package from Scott?
Yes, but I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that you had the option for someone to build it for you at the Scott factory.

Mine was exceptionally well built. Maybe the builder was a real meticulous guy or gal. Anyway, sweet looking and sounding unit. I have the chocolate brown version and a pile of ANOS 7591's in case I need to retube.

Back
Top Bottom