New to me JBL 240Ti

Now now, some of the guys on the Lansing site ARE hard chargers and do intimidate newbies -
I think they delight in being curmudgeons - but there is a wealth of knowledge there if you do some googling ...

Some don't suffer fools that's for sure :). But we're a good bunch of JBL-heads over there and will always help out those who come looking to learn. And Heather is certainly right in pointing out the HUGE wealth of accumulated knowledge available if you have the time and patience to search it out.

jblnut

I appreciate all the guidance and help from the folks here. I also get that it must be tiring dealing with what may seem to be the same questions over and over again. While I understand that most things are searchable and that the answer is probably in section 5 of volume 3 in between posts 8-13. Sometimes its nice to engage in conversation and learn directly from the sources. In my case this is a labor of love and I am not someone looking to flip these for a quick buck. I also genuinely have no prior restoration experience which is why I am farming out a lot of the restoration tasks I cannot do. It is nice to have a place where you can banter and ask questions and not be instantly slammed for lack of knowledge. If we do not foster and share this stuff, our hobby will suffer.

I have decided to keep the cabs a little rough for now. I will do a deep clean on them when I have a rain free weekend and do the Howard's treatment but that will be all for now. With a little one still running around I would be devastated to go through the effort of restoring the cabinets to come home to a Crayola Original masterpiece. I am in a holding pattern for the grills while the folks tinker with making them from scratch. Not sure what goes into making grills, but my lack of skill prevents me from passing judgment. I will be glad when they are available. I wonder what color I should go with?

Hello Gonzo,

To be brief. I am about to dive in on refurbishing/upgrading crossovers and 'tone pots' on my JBL 4312a Control Monitors. Love these speakers but they can be crazy harsh.

Questions are:
1) what tone generator and/or impedance tester do I need to test speakers?
2) is there a list of what parts/tools that are needed for these upgrades (caps, resistors, wires, solder, pot cleanup)? Perhaps a step-by-step?
3) are the mids out of phase on these and do the woofers run full-range? Any advantage to brining all drivers into phase?
4) are there any suggested edits/additions to cabinet dampening?
5) is there a ribbon tweeter that could be easily swapped in on these monitors?
6) what about using an external tunable crossover with these monitors?

Your guidance is sought.

Many Thanks,
Brett

So I am late to the party on this thread. You still looking for grills? Though I have repurposed my components of my pair of JBL 240ti's, I can create a template for you if you like. Let me know. Not sure where you stand with these in the rehabilitation but I was able to find NOS recones for my mids over the last couple of years, you just have to be patient. My LE14H-1's were expertly reconed with aftermarket kits by Upland Sound as well. Had to as mine were bare frames only when I bought them.

Back
Top Bottom