New to me large Advents = WOW

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Onebean, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Onebean

Onebean AK Subscriber Subscriber

I grabbed a pair of Large Advents off Craigslist to tied me over while my ADS L-880's are getting the Richard So treatment. I hooked them up last night and I'm blown away. They sound really great. Tons of low end punch, sweet mids, and just enough highs for details but they don't seem aggressive at all. I have no idea what the sensitivity of these are, but I'm going to hook my set 2A3 amps to them tonight, and see how they sound. Currently I'm driving them with my Yamaha M-65 fully recapped and upgraded by our Avionic. It's a really nice amp to say the least.

Anyone know the sensitivity on these guys? The woofers have been re-foamed, but other than that they seem to be original.

Onebean

Diathesis likes this.
  2. drumbum

drumbum Well-Known Member

About 89 db 1w/1m

3. classic carl

classic carl Got Vinyl? Subscriber

Nice grab.
    Are they the Original Large Advents (OLA) or New Large Advents (NLA)? Are they wood or vinyl veneer? Photos with the grills off would make ID easy.

4. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

Get a second pair, even more better.

5. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice!

Congrats on the Advents!

I listen to my 3's everyday.

I have my eye on a pair of the big boys but they are asking $300.

6. Onebean

I'll post picture later today, I'm at work now. My guess is the original version. They have thumb screw terminals for speaker wire connection, and a sticker on the back with a very lengthy description of the speaker and how to hook it up. Almost like the they decided to make the owners manual a sticker. I'm sure they are plywood with veneer. They are heavy, i would guess 40 lbs. each.

Onebean

7. Onebean

I have one picture from my garage the day I bought them.

[​IMG]

Onebean

Diathesis likes this.
  8. bryans12v

bryans12v Marantz Junkie Subscriber

Love my OLA's. Enjoy!

9. ranch 22b

ranch 22b AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those look like Original Large "Utility" Advents. That's the simulated walnut, vinyl version. There is also a walnut veneer version.

Nice speakers. I started out down the Advent road after finding 3 free Utility OLA's on someone's curb while biking. 'Liked them so much that I eventually bought 2 pair in walnut veneer and "stacked" them. They are fun speakers to use with all that bass.

I use a 55 wpc vintage Nikko receiver to power my 2 pair. A friend used a Yamaha receiver to power a pair just like yours with good results. I've found that the cleaner the signal, the better those "fried egg" tweeters sound. The way that the crossovers work, they are ask to cover a lot of ground.

If you haven't already, I'd pull the front covers off (velcro) and check just to make sure the surrounds on the woofers look okay.

Congrats!

10. Onebean

Yes, they are vinyl covered. I'm sure the veneered models look way better, but these aren't bad, and they are in really nice shape for their age. The woofer surrounds were replaced by the guy I bought them from. My Yamaha M-65 puts out 170 watts per channel class A/B, or drops the power back in full class A. I run in full class A, and the output meter doesn't show more than 5 watts output. Source is all vinyl right now, with a couple MC cartridges, and Bottlehead tube phono pre. I'm running the Yamaha C-85 preamp now, but my recapped/rebuilt C-70 should be arriving soon.

I might have to try my Yamaha M-85 on these guys. It pushes 260 watts a channel. Iron fist in a velvet glove. :biggrin: I love this hobby.

Onebean

classic carl and ranch 22b like this.
  11. classic carl

They do like power, but be careful with that volume knob. Advent recommended installing in line fuses to protect the tweeters if driven by more than a 60 wpc amp. I fused my stacked Advents when I bought them in 1976. I used a 70 wpc amp back then. I later drove them with a 300 watt amp without issue. They really open up with a more powerful amp. One pair went to my son and I sold the other pair last year. Have fun with yours.

12. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

I have taken out my share of tweeters using 150+ wpc. OK, it was clipping at times, I'm sure, but tweets were under warranty and I had a good rapport with the shop.

13. Onebean

My room is small at 12' x 12', so it doesn't take much to get the volume. I usually listen about 75-80 db.

14. ggregg

ggregg Super Member

Always loved large Advents. Blew a few eggs back in the day also, although I'm sure the amp was clipping every time it happened. One of the smoothest 2 way speakers around.

kydog likes this.
  15. Onebean

I'm guessing replacement parts are not available???

16. ranch 22b

ranch 22b AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those fried egg tweeters pop up on eBay fairly often. Just be aware that there are at least a couple of versions out there. 'Lot's of threads here on AK to steer you in the right direction if you find that you need one.

17. stevo137

stevo137 AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's good to see someone knows the db they listen.
    Man the temptation to hear more with that M-65 is scary with these!
    I have also blown my share of tweeters.
    I run a Yammi M-35 with Advent 3's and I know that when I get into the
    80-90 db level I need to watch it.
    It doesn't take much to get there.
    80-89 range is the most I push them but I don't listen to anything over 90 with any system.
    I kinda' use the meter as when it turns red, (90 db or over), that's red line and in red line anything can happen and it's not good for your ears either.

That M-65 should sound sweet with those larger Advents!

IMG_2122.PNG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  18. classic carl

You won't have any problem then.

19. drumbum

drumbum Well-Known Member

Finally listening to my NLA's for the past couple, w/ my recently repaired Jvc VN-700 40w per/ch integrated. Only cassettes so far;)

Currently, my Advent tally is 1pair NLA, 2pair Smaller Advents(stacked), 2pair Baby Advent II's, and some crappy calypso outdoors.

20. SpruceMoose

SpruceMoose Super Member

Advent said 15 watts minimum. Trying to push more volume with a low power amp will drive it into clipping and take out the tweeters. I would imagine that a minimum of 10 watts with tubes would be ok, since tubes don't clip as hard. But more is better!