New to me large Advents = WOW

I was wondering if making a bracket to tip the top speaker forward, so both sets had the tweeters pointed at my ears, would reduce the comb effect.
You really wouldn't be changing the tweeter to tweeter distance enough to address the underlying problem of the physical spacing between the driver centers and the wavelengths reproduced - a 10k signal for example is but 1.3 inches.

It's not a problem with midranges operating in no shorter than 5 inch wavelengths.

These suckers sound awesome. I have a real problem on my hands. I have a pair of ADS L-880/2 that the drivers are on there way back from Richard So. I really don't want to unhook the Advents. Here's my impression from a short listening session last night. I checked the SPL with my phone app, and I was peaking at 76db. It wasn't load, but very full sounding.

ZZ Top- Blue Jean Blues- Billy voice and guitar playing had amazing detail. I was hearing little guitar fills and voice details I have somehow missed the last 5000 times I've listened to this. Dusty and Frank were right there, creating that amazing foundation.

Blues Brothers - "B" Movie Box Car Blues- John's voice and a wet and raspy tone that sounded very real. Matt's finger picking guitar parts were more detailed than I had ever heard. This recording is very good for a live setting.

The Black Keys - I'm not the one - The sound stretched much wider and deeper on this track than the others. Dan's voice was more detailed than I had ever heard, and again, the guitar tones were righteous. The bass was almost enough to make me ill.

Clapton Unplugged - Old Love - more of the same. Robust bass, clean and clear guitar and piano. An amazing performance.

Of the new music vinyl I played, the bass was almost too much. My guess is, these new recordings are mixed bass heavy to sound good on wimpy blue tooth speakers. The Black Keys track offered the most in width and depth. The older recordings sounded way more balanced and very enjoyable. I have a mint copy of Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers Hard Promises, and it's a killer album and recording. That band is tight! To be objective, the sound stage wasn't the best I've heard, but my toe was tapping and I was jamming out (that's worth a lot to me). I think I need to lower them about 4"-6". I might knock out a quick pair of stands this weekend, to drop them down a bit.

FYI, according the meters, my Yamaha M-65 was barely working driving both sets in Class A mode. I had my Yamaha C-85 preamp set to bypass mode on the tone controls. I was hearing what my stock Technics SL-1200 / Ortofon MC20 was digging out. No I need ot figure out how to sneak out of work early.

Love my stacked Advents. With my room, the tweeter switches sound best on decrease, speaker facing straight ahead. I find that helps tame the tweeters, which can be bright, to me. Also, love my stacked L880's. Maybe you need a second set of L880's to compare them.
Also, please post your impressions of your rehabed L880's when finished. I have not done that.
Enjoy

Last edited:
My Advents have been recapped. Difference with your stack is, my top stack is model one, with smaller cabinet and no tweeter switch. I plan to add a one ohm resister to it. Also plan to add new seal tape to all woofers. My Rogue Sphinx amp does not have tone controls.
Love the Advents, but tone controls are needed, in my room, so I run with a Sony integrated,100 wpc@ 8 ohms. I run in series so that power is reduced.
The ADS have a fuller base and more detailed treble and mids. The Sphinx amp has 200 wpc @ 4 ohm load ADS in parallel. It is an unfair comparison, since the ADS were much higher priced speakers, built with later technology.
Just my opinion.

Saw the rig and the cartridge. Had to look up the pre's mc input as I know the MC-20 is an VLOMC. HFE showed it a 0.033mV which is the lowest I have ever seen, but the OM shows it as 100µV which is 0.1mV probably just fine for the 0.07 from the MC-20.

When I first saw your stack, I was thinking that is too tall. We used fruit crates in college, perfect height, no, but probably really close, at less than a foot, but close to that.

Tom Clone borrowed an MC 20, enjoyed it but was concerned about no bass response until he learned it was tight accurate bass compared to the AT440 and V15 II. Bought a Benz and returned my MC-20. Didn't like the Benz for half his music, thought it was broken, but when he brought it over for all to hear we told him it was fine and he just didn't like it. Replaced with an MC-20 and has since moved to an MC-30Super, too (added turntables). Nice sounding cartridges.

Blue Shadow, I have Ortofon's MCA-76 which is a capacitor based step up device that allows me to run it into my Bottlehead Seduction Phono pre. I'm testing the transformer step up idea with a DuKake transformers step up box from SUTman, on my Audio Technica OC9. It should arrive today or tomorrow. By all reports, this should add space between the instruments, and some width and depth. I hope to be swimming in it. :biggrin:

I would love love love to get my hands on an MC30Super.

So you think 10" off the floor is good for the stack?

The MCA-76 is an amplifier, but then I don't know what a capacitor based step up is. Have you recapped it? It is full of Frako's and a half dozen tants. Interested in your review of the SUT v. the MCA.

I probably don't have my terminology correct. I call it a capacitor step up because I took the lid off and it's full of capacitors. What's a Frako and a Tant?

[QUO'tTE="Onebean, post: 10383357, member: 238769"]Blue Shadow, I have Ortofon's MCA-76 which is a capacitor based step up device that allows me to run it into my Bottlehead Seduction Phono pre. I'm testing the transformer step up idea with a DuKake transformers step up box from SUTman, on my Audio Technica OC9. It should arrive today or tomorrow. By all reports, this should add space between the instruments, and some width and depth. I hope to be swimming in it. :biggrin:

I would love love love to get my hands on an MC30Super.

So you think 10" off the floor is good for the stack?[/QUOTE]

One Bean,
Don't know if your a DIYer. If you want to shorten your speaker stands, wood ones are usually pretty easy. I'm not a woodworker, but have successfully done a couple sets.

I placed my stacked Advents right on the carpet. I used 8" stands tilted back for a single pair. YMMV.

The Frakos are all those gold caps in the MCA-76. They are known to be poor performers after all these years. Tants are the red teardrop (or other color) tantalum capacitors that many here don't like. They are much for audio and they can fail shorted and flame out with just a little over voltage. Folks change these, too just because. I have a really neat flame out aftermath in a chuck of test gear. I would have liked to watch it...from a distance. The burned gray blob used to be one of those yellow topped drops with the purple waist and green pants (colors tell the value) tantalum capacitors.

An SUT uses a transformer to make a voltage change and step up is the term used for boosting that voltage especially for the LOMC to phono input. The MCA-76 is a moving coil phono pre-preamp. It does about the same thing but is an active stage that needs power to run. A pre-preamp like this is also called a head amp.

Attachments

• Tant-1.jpg
    Tant-1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Tant-2.jpg
    Tant-2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 12
So I need to recap that MCA-76 ASAP. Any suggestions for a quality cap to replace them with? I've been looking at Cinemag SUT to replace the MCA-76. The DuKanes I bought are the correct turns out for my AT OC9's .4mv output.

Thanks for the information on the capacitors. :beerchug:

They sound really great. Tons of low end punch, sweet mids, and just enough highs for details but they don't seem aggressive at all.

There is a good reason they sold so danged many of those things.

Back
Top Bottom