New to me Philharmonic 3's

ictwoody

I like vintage gear — my preamp is from 2007.
In an effort not to derail another thread I'm starting this thread now.

In a daydreaming state I was wondering what would be my next pair of speakers in the future to replace my much loved Salk Songtowers. I don't have any real complaints with the Salks... They do everything very well... One of the only reasons they aren't an endgame speakers for me is because they aren't true fullrange speakers.

Since the STs are designed by Dennis Murphy I found myself purusing his Philharmonic Audio site and reading about his offerings. The Phil 3's seemed like they could be something special from the reviews and the fact that Dennis publishes a ton of data to back up the design. I went as far as emailing back and forth with Dennis a few times to see if they would work in my room, which is a cozy 12'x16.5' with the system on a short wall (where the dedicated circuit is located.) Songtower owners are a loyal bunch and a lot of them have upgraded to the Supercharged Songtowers which use the RAAL ribbon tweeter and people rave about them. The Phil 3's have the RAAL as well as a Planar mid which intrigued me.

During my emails with Dennis, he mentioned he only had three more sets of the mid range planars due to the manufacturer discontinuing sales to outside producers. To me, this meant that I probably could kiss the idea of Phil 3's goodbye cause I wasn't planning on actually making a purchase in the immediate foreseeable future. Well fast forward a few months and as I puruse Audiogon, low and behold, a pair of Phil 3's pop up for sale at a possibly doable price... And in a veneer I like, rosewood. They are the newest models with the tilted rearward cabinets and chamfered fronts, which is an additional cost upgrade. I contacted the owner and after a lengthy conversation we came to an agreement and the deal was done. He was selling the 1.5yr old speakers cause of relocating to a smaller home and he wouldn't have the space for the system these were in.

They arrived yesterday and after unboxing, I'm very pleased. The cabinets and finishing isn't quite to the standard of the Salks... But very very respectable.

I haven't as of yet had time to listen. I'm hoping to get them hooked up this weekend. My custom rack for that room is 6' wide, and the only thing Dennis told me is that they should be 2ft or more from the sidewalls. That means they would have to be slammed right up to the rack... Im going to rig up a temporary solution until I work out what I want to do there.

Here's a couple of pics. I really need to finish the frames/covers for my front bass traps.

- Woody

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
In an effort not to derail another thread I'm starting this thread now.

In a daydreaming state I was wondering what would be my next pair of speakers in the future to replace my much loved Salk Songtowers. I don't have any real complaints with the Salks... They do everything very well... One of the only reasons they aren't an endgame speakers for me is because they aren't true fullrange speakers.

Since the STs are designed by Dennis Murphy I found myself pursuing his Philharmonic Audio site and reading about his offerings. The Phil 3's seemed like they could be something special from the reviews and the fact that Dennis publishes a ton of data to back up the design. I went as far as emailing back and forth with Dennis a few times to see if they would work in my room, which is a cozy 12'x16.5' with the system on a short wall (where the dedicated circuit is located.) Songtower owners are a loyal bunch and a lot of them have upgraded to the Supercharged Songtowers which use the RAAL ribbon tweeter and people rave about them. The Phil 3's have the RAAL as well as a Planar mid which intrigued me.

During my emails with Dennis, he mentioned he only had three more sets of the mid range planars due to the manufacturer discontinuing sales to outside producers. To me, this meant that I probably could kiss the idea of Phil 3's goodbye cause I wasn't planning on actually making a purchase in the immediate foreseeable future. Well fast forward a few months and as I puruse Audiogon, low and behold, a pair of Phil 3's pop up for sale at a possibly doable price... And in a veneer I like, rosewood. They are the newest models with the tilted rearward cabinets and chamfered fronts, which is an additional cost upgrade. I contacted the owner and after a lengthy conversation we came to an agreement and the deal was done. He was selling the 1.5yr old speakers cause of relocating to a smaller home and he wouldn't have the space for the system these were in.

They arrived yesterday and after unboxing, I'm very pleased. The cabinets and finishing isn't quite to the standard of the Salks... But very very respectable.

I haven't as of yet had time to listen. I'm hoping to get them hooked up this weekend. My custom rack for that room is 6' wide, and the only thing Dennis told me is that they should be 2ft or more from the sidewalls. That means they would have to be slammed right up to the rack... Im going to rig up a temporary solution until I work out what I want to do there.

Here's a couple of pics. I really need to finish the frames/covers for my front bass traps.

- Woody

I'll be watching this thread with much interest. Congrats again, they look great!

Nice! I'm also interested in your listening experience of these. Dennis is a great guy. And he kinda looks like Clint Eastwood. Hahaha!

Why didn't you decide go up Salks scale and get Soundscape for instance?

Mostly cost. My next move up the Salk line probably would have been Veracity STs. The are $4300 or so. I got the Phils for about 75% that and they go down to 25hz.

I haven't sold the STs yet. I like them too much to sell them before I'm sure about the Phils.

- Woody

Quick update. Finally found some time today to setup the Phil3's. I got a set of jumpers from Paul at Clear a Day Cables cause my Clear Day Double Shotguns are not biwire. Several people including the former owner of these speakers said to biwire or at least replace the stock metal plate jumpers with something cause it makes a big difference. I don't doubt it since I found the same thing when I had my ShengYa's.

Since these need at least 2 ft off the side walls my 6ft wide rack is just a bit big. So for the time being I am just using a small coffee table I have as a stand in rack. The small size doesn't allow for my analog front end so I'm just doing streaming only for now using Amarra for Tidal on my MacBook Pro into my Schiit Bifrost Multibit.

So far... Damn. These things are awesome. I only got to listen for about an hour before having to go to some Christmas parties, but I'll get some more listening time over the next few days. A few notes...

Clear as a bell. Ribbons and planars, oh my! Bass in spades. Feel it in the floors and sofa. Box free sound. The imaging is halographic. Incredible. Soundstage is good. Need to listen a bit more critically for that. Instrument separation is great. Driver integration is near perfect. So far so good. Will report back.

Pics...

- Woody

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Really nice looking presentation! Love that "coffeetable" -
Love to hear them, but you are a bit far from Virginia for a listening party!
Question: Are the Phil3s 2 a pair of stacked cabinets?
I have a pair of Von Schwiekerts VR-4s which have a bass Cabinet with an upper Cabinet stacked/locked in place on top ...
I was uncertain, but that format seems to work very well, and makes it easier to move them!

Ah - googled the site and got informed - looks like they are stacked cabinets!

http://philharmonicaudio.com/phil3.html

Last edited:
Really nice looking presentaton! Love that "coffeetable" -
Love to hear them, but you are a bit far from Virginia for a listening party!
Question: Are the Phil3s 2 a pair of stacked cabinets?
I have a pair of Von Schwiekerts VR-4s which have a bass Cabinet with an upper Cabinet stacked/locked in place on top ...
I was uncertain, but that format seems to work very well, and makes it easier to move them!

Ah - googled the site and got informed - looks like they are stacked cabinets!

http://philharmonicaudio.com/phil3.html

Yes. The tweeter and mid are contained in an open baffle upper. It has some poly fill in the back that can be varied to tune them to the room. There is a magnetic grill to cover the back of the upper cab. The upper cabinet isn't locked into place. It just sits on top with three sorbothan hemispheres to add some isolation from the lower bass cab. Seems to work pretty well.

- Woody

New pic of my room...

- Woody

25794115995_4bb510b900_h.jpg

Looking fabulous! Who is that peeking down at your HiFi...lol!

I don't hunt. I picked up the antelope in an estate sale purely as decor. I'm pretty sure it helps with room modes. :) need to give him a name. Hmmmm...

Man that looks so awesome! I bet it sounds great!

Thanks. It sound amazing. These are the first speakers I've owned that truly go low. They are flat down to 25hz. And throw a huge box less wall of sound. Incredible.

The dac upgrade was just done and the amps and speaker cables are new, so I just let the system play internet radio for the past 120hrs straight at low volume. I'm guessing they are pretty burnt in now!

I'll be doing some pretty close listening over the next few weeks. My Wells Audio Majestic should be here late this week or early next week and it will be an interesting comparison.

- Woody

I don't hunt. I picked up the antelope in an estate sale purely as decor. I'm pretty sure it helps with room modes. :) need to give him a name. Hmmmm...

- Woody

I don't hunt either. However, I'm from Idaho where I am the only person who doesn't hunt...!

I hunt and I like it! Adds character. That antelope looks like a Steve. Name him Steve.

Haha. Thanks, Mark. I'll add Steve to the list. You should see the American Bison I have...

- Woody

Nice room. I'm guessing you get some great sound there.

It is great. Really great. The ratio of the room is very close to perfect sonically... If it was just 1ft longer. :-/

The crazy part is that as awesome as it is, it will probably get better with some more treatments. I love it.

- Woody

Back
Top Bottom