"New" to me Realistic STA2500 ?s

Thehardway

Hi, first post, have always been interested in vintage audio stuff but never found the time for it, but recently I had the unfortunate circumstances to pick up one of these units, (death in the family), along with with some other pieces to go with it.

Ive hooked up this receiver to make sure it works and it seems everything does but Im a total noob when it comes to these things. The inside is DIRTY, really dusty so I do need to clean it, but my questions are, I cant seem to get a good signal on it with FM, well I can get a good signal, but the volume is really low if I have the clip from the power cord on the antenna, I have also tried hooking up an old cable wire I had laying around to the 75 ohm connection, but it seems the connection inside is loose or something, it barely wiggles, but playing with it only gets me static, and again, low volume. If Im one notch lower or higher on the channel I need the volume gets to where I think it should be but of course because its not the right channel its static. So basically it feels like nothing I do for the antenna will pull in any channels. I know theres probably more issues but Ill ask them later after I get this working correctly. Any ideas on where to start with this issue? Thanks

Welcome - Start with the cleaning but don't use anything on the variable cap that will leave any residue. There's plenty of info here covering cleaning products and technique.

It's attached to the drum on the tuner board - it rotates when you turn the tuner knob to dial in stations. You'll see "fins" on it (right) and the drum (left) gets the dialing string wound around it.

air-spaced-tuning-capacitor.gif.gif

Well, Ive just been trying to hook up a regular coax to my 75 ohm antenna connection, and regular speaker wire to the 300 ohm which by what Ive been able to find, doesnt work, so.. guessing thats why it sounds like crap and isnt working right lol

Back
Top Bottom