New-to-me Revox A77

Chip Chester

For some reason, an A77 followed me home from craigslist the other day.
Looks like a low-speed 1/4-track MK II, with the US-option stainless front panel behind the reels. Pretty clean, no missing parts. Seller had it turned on when I arrived, so variac start-up no longer an option.

I'll need to replace the 'incendiary' caps and others, and evaluate overall functions, etc. Only 'missing' item is the case -- or any case at all. It was mounted in some nice custom cabinetry, but now sits shivering on my shelf. I'll need to source either the wood case with handle, a suitcase, or just a rack mount (which I can probably make in the shop). Looks like I just missed one up in Canada.

Kudos to Studer/Revox for having the ops and service manuals right there on their ftp site. Plus they're very nice manuals -- block diagrams, troubleshooting advice, schematics, board photos, mods... the works -- all wrapped up in a nicely indexed/navigable pdf. Ahh, the good old days...

It will join its growing band of brothers -- Akai 4000DS, Crown 700, Teac 32-2B, Pioneer 707, Akai GX 77, Ampex 601, and maybe one or two I don't remember... I may have a problem.

Last edited:
I believe that is probably a standard speed unit as Revox did offer logging speeds and others. Low speed to me means 15/16 ips or 1-7/8 ips.

After you get it all rebuilt it should be a great machine. With the support these still have, you should be able to make it right, again.

Yes, it labeled 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 ips... that's low to me. 15/16 ips would be boat anchor territory... Or modified for real speeds.

15/16th is was used for commercial/ military /gov't. (FAA) for extended speech recording. As a kid, dad would bring home old 10"reels of well-used tapes from work (he was an air traffic controller) that maintenance was going to shiitecan , so I could spool onto 7"reels for my old webcor '50's-vintage mono recorder, a hand-me-down from an uncle. Playing these at 1,7/8 ips prior to erasing used to cause no end of amusement for the younger siblings (think alvin & the chipmunks)! I think I still have all that stuff buried in an outbuilding. Can't wait to retire so I can unearth & rediscover such artifacts again!:)

Back
Top Bottom