New To Me Sony APM 66ES speakers

^^^Those are so awesome. And in black too! I wish I could afford them. I have a feeling they'll go for a bit more than the $950 current bid....

Don't fall for this eBay listing, the last photo is a violation, with an email and a very low buy it now price. It's a hijacked page with that added pic as far as I am concerned. I also recognize the layout for the graphics/font used on the photo. This person does this often with unobtainable Sony stuff, and always gets nailed.

Finally took the time to look at these knobs. Sounds even better now though I can't detect much difference with the tweeters.

1494025585879.jpg

Every time I see those I wonder about refoaming.
Same for those speakers that have the ear shaped woofers.

Every time I see those I wonder about refoaming.
Same for those speakers that have the ear shaped woofers.

I'm pretty sure there's a guy in Russia who offers new surrounds kits for these. I've read they're decent quality and it's not too hard to do. But I have no direct experience. I'm still waiting to get lucky enough to find a pair at a decent price :biggrin:

Resurrecting this thread so I apologize. I wanted to update any other 66 owners that I did take the leap on the Russian foams from the auction site and want to say they turned out pretty fantastic. Trimmed the inner and outer seams to fit but the rolled part was a great fit and very soft/compliant. Happy to have the apm's back in rotation for a reasonable price.

Attachments

• 20180904_210043.jpg
    20180904_210043.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180904_210034.jpg
    20180904_210034.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 24
I was considering buying a pair of non-ES APM's (only because the ES versions are scarce & expensive), building some good stout cabs for them and redoing the X-O's with upgraded components. I said was only because right now I have more speakers than I can use. Still might do it anyway ;)

I was considering buying a pair of non-ES APM's (only because the ES versions are scarce & expensive), building some good stout cabs for them and redoing the X-O's with upgraded components. I said was only because right now I have more speakers than I can use. Still might do it anyway ;)
I have a post about the APM-717s I refoamed as practice for the 66's. They're not bad drivers (I still like the flat square tweeters) but the woofer on the 717's is literally just a plastic cone glued to the square metal-coated cardboard. The squares are novel but you'd likely be happier modding any other round speakers into a custom cab.

But who am I to pass judgement. I'm keeping them in the original cabs for the neat factor too.

Those "woofers" on the '717's are actually passive radiators :) The ones I've had my eye on are APM-615's. Those are true 3-ways. The idea would be to replicate the original cabs with the rounded edges of the front baffles and using the original grills. Using 3/4" MDF or Birch ply. I wouldn't expect them to be as good as true ES models but like I said, those are scarce & expensive!

Back
Top Bottom