New(to me) SX-950

reidcc

Hi Gang-

While reading some of the threads here at AK- I kinda got my appetite whet for an older receiver from my youngin days. I'd always been of the older Marantz and the Sansui 909, etc. In fact at one time I had I think a 2325 and a 9090db- and blew outputs on them just powering up 20 years ago. Think I sold them both for $50 each back then. Had I known then what I know now...

Anyway- I just picked up an SX-950 on a local CL ad. I knew it had a cracked glass in front- but not much else. There was nothing else the guy had to check any inputs, and I almost brought a TT with me to check phono section- but didn't(pouring rain). From my initial play- the only thing I knew for sure was that it had scratchy controls.

I've not pulled covers or even looked inside yet. The guy claims he used it every day, so I've been playing it and checking out what works and what does not. I've been playing a CD through the AUX input, and tonight I hooked up my NAK Cassette and played that back through AUX- thats fine.

Hooked up a table to both Phono inputs, and both appear to be dead. I also get some popping in Phono 1. I then did some searching here and found an old post back from 2008/2009 on a guy looking for phoo board help. Markthefixer and others got him going, and seems he was successful in getting board rebuilt.

While I have not soldered anything in 20 years- I have the desire to attempt the repair of this myself and use the BOM list of replacements on the Phono Board. I realize there are other boards that should get attention first- but the Phono board needs the work. It may be a while before I order parts and attempt anything, but I just wanted to chime in and comment on just how helpful the people and threads here are.

While I did not know exactly what I was getting in to when buying this- I did understand I would probably want to send it off for some level of rebuild. I saw a reference to a guy in Florida NY that does a lot with this- he is not all that far from me either- should I want to just have it all done.

Thanks
Chris

I have 2 sold a 1250 and bought 2 950s and still had change left over for a pair of mach 1 speakers. Plenty of output for me, nice looking too. Wish I still had the 1250 also.

Thank You Tim-

This was one of the threads that I had found on my issue, and also a part of my reference for others jumping in with knowledge to help others through challenges with their refurb. I believe I had read in another thread of someone suggesting sending a unit to you for rebuilding!

Reading threads like that can sometimes give folks some confidence and motivation to undertake something like this- I know its given me some confidence.

Chris

There's a fair chance that it is the function switch, my 1250 (same switch, different board) had problems with the phono inputs until I cleaned the switches.

Yes, same switch, just not sure that the 1250 has the same configuration (but I think it does, the speaker switch board is the same 950-1050-1250).

Thank You Tim-

This was one of the threads that I had found on my issue, and also a part of my reference for others jumping in with knowledge to help others through challenges with their refurb. I believe I had read in another thread of someone suggesting sending a unit to you for rebuilding!

Reading threads like that can sometimes give folks some confidence and motivation to undertake something like this- I know its given me some confidence.

Chris
The board is quite easy to work on, you should be able to do it,just position the transistors the correct way and you should be good

Many thanks Tim-

I will attempt this. If it fails- it will be taking a ride for a rebuild. Potentially I gain a working unit and much bigger- a bit of experience and some confidence.

Chris

Work the switches a few times with the volume turn low. Sometimes if the switch is dirty it will clear up enough to indicate that be it.

Barney

I refurbished my SX-950 and found it very easy to work on.
All boards dismount easily and have just enough wire to be flipped over for access to the back side.
It is a good receiver to learn on.

Mine was lacking in low frequencies prior to replacing resistors and capacitors.
Afterward, it is now plenty strong in the low frequencies.
It's a whole new receiver.
It was definitely worth the $100 in parts that I bought.

.Chris[/QU
Many thanks Tim-

I will attempt this. If it fails- it will be taking a ride for a rebuild. Potentially I gain a working unit and much bigger- a bit of experience and some confidence.

Chris

Need help just ask

Back
Top Bottom