New to restoring

Hi Y! since there can be a lot of variables with kind of repair/restoration can you share some information about what it is we are cleaning? and do you have a Radio shack that's still open near you? they sell a contact cleaner called Deoxit. the D5 is the kind they sell. for cleaning switches and volume controls and other places making electrical contacts that oxidise over the years.
so can you post some pics of what ya have?

I only have interior pics at this point, but I just picked up a Magnavox X-10. The cabinet is in good shape. When I removed the back panel, it looked like I was the first one who had.

Our Radio Shack is still open, and only a mile away! I have been there for tv transistors and for a fuse for an early 70s tube amp.
Do you have to be careful with the deoxit around wires and/or rubber?

Greetings;
be sure to unplug unit and wait an hour or so. I would first grab a 1 wide inch softer paint brush and your vacuum hose and brush off the dust and let the vac capture the dust bunnies. hook up the vac brush for interior walls. make note of all wires in case you remove something like the TT section.

Deoxit isn't a general spray all cleaner, it is for the i.e. volume, tone and balance pots that you spray 'sparingly' into the slit on the body. usually you can see that clearly on these old units. You may need to pull the TT and use some vcr type lube/grease for the moving parts again sparingly. If equipped with a tuner and tuner cap.. do not spray anything on the that. A small shot of deoxit5 on the tuner shaft bearings only is okay.

just take your time.

Reactions: Y&.
Ah! Thank you!
Can I use the deoxit on areas of the aluminum that have oxidized on the TT, or should I 1) leave them alone or 2) use something else?

Can I use the deoxit on areas of the aluminum that have oxidized on the TT, or should I 1) leave them alone or 2) use something else?
No deoxit isn't that type of cleaner and is almost exclusive to pots and some switch types. in my opinion you don't have to do that much aside from the TT.

TT. post a pic top shot or have a model of the TT? many manuals are available, The mechanical end of operation usually just requires some new grease on that gear and any visible cams or guides for friction. Spindle bearing cavity perhaps or just the bearing i.e. if it operates okay unserviced then prob. just a lube job. little oxidation isn't a big deal. Biggest pita is usually the tone arm operation and if that needs wiring and or an new cart and stylus. If the amp has tape input option? most users go with that option and or adapt the input with a cd player.

keep us informed.
bink

Back
Top Bottom