New to Sansui 881

Hey, congrats on the 881! :thmbsp:

I have a recently acquired 771 which I like very much but it too has poor FM functionality. I'm wondering if this series has a problematic FM section.

Paul

It might just need to be realigned, Paul. But then I suppose you would have the equipment to do the job, right?.

My curiosity is aroused, now, so I'll be looking for 881's, too. Like I wasn't already space-limited.

Bob

It might just need to be realigned, Paul. But then I suppose you would have the equipment to do the job, right?.

My curiosity is aroused, now, so I'll be looking for 881's, too. Like I wasn't already space-limited.

Bob

Yes, Bob, I have enough gear to do an FM alignment minus the stereo multiplexing signal. I'd have to rely on FM stations to set separation -- not really a great option but ... :sigh:

Paul

Loved my 881, still working at my sisters house (she won't give it back)

My dad's 9090DB is at the shop once a year.

9090DB is high maintenance.

hi frends iwant ask for sansui model 771 881 8080db who is the best please tel me because iwant buy one from theis items

For a different opinion. the 771 or 881 definitely. I still believe that the 881 was the best sounding SS reciever I've ever heard.

More or less on the topic here:

I've always thought that the 1970s Sansui receiver power output philosophy wildly inconsistent.

First you have the xx1 series (7 models) with only one unit OVER 60 w/ch, and within a few short years you have the G-x700 series (6 models, IIRC) with only one unit UNDER 60 w/ch. From an entry level unit at 8 w/ch, to one at 50 w/ch!

Having said that, I own a 661 and a G-4700 and really like them both. I've often said the G-4700 is the "punchiest" 50 w/ch receiver I've ever heard, and for an "entry-level" unit, has ALOT of nice features.

I just hooked up my 9010 (black faced 881) that I got from epay and it sounds great. I still like the sound of my 8080/9090DBs. If you have a "high maintenance" 8080 or 9090DB then it has never been properly repaired. Once properly repaired they are tanks (IMHO).

I just hooked up my 9010 (black faced 881) that I got from epay and it sounds great. I still like the sound of my 8080/9090DBs. If you have a "high maintenance" 8080 or 9090DB then it has never been properly repaired. Once properly repaired they are tanks (IMHO).

Agree. I had both the 881s and 9090DBs, the 881s are gone. They seem to have a common problem with hum--not related to the power capacitors. Both of my 9090DBs got major rebuilds before becoming stable work horses.

The x0x0DB series tend to have recurring problems with the Dolby board. You either have to Deoxit it a few times a year and/or use the Dolby switches so the oxidation in those controls is under control (no pun intended). Other than that, the x0x0DB series are great and to my ears the best sounding. Am I implying the plain x0x0 seriers are better, YES. Less parts and less maintenance at the expense of slightly less power.

I do agree the 881 is a great little receiver. I have most of the big Guys up to G-22000 and I am not that impressed. In that territory, it's mostly quantity and size and not quality. I don't understand enough of the transistor amplification but to my ears, G series is somewhat like watered down coffee. Also many here in AK would say that quality starts to degrade in the G series, more plastic and less metal.

wsjoe

I have a question about Sansui 881...I just purchased it to go with my AKAI gxc-510d because it is the perfect storm of unbelievable sounding tapes...but I think that maybe I should have got the Sansui 771..is there any reason for me to think that the taping function would be different between these two receivers

I have a question about Sansui 881...I just purchased it to go with my AKAI gxc-510d because it is the perfect storm of unbelievable sounding tapes...but I think that maybe I should have got the Sansui 771..is there any reason for me to think that the taping function would be different between these two receivers

You may consider starting your own thread for this question, but the answer you seek is a simple no.
Casey

I am in the process of re-capping an 881 that has incessent crackling on the right speaker. Some times the relay kicks in very frequently once the unit is turned on. Can anyone advice what caps I should be replacing?

I am in the process of re-capping an 881 that has incessent crackling on the right speaker. Some times the relay kicks in very frequently once the unit is turned on. Can anyone advice what caps I should be replacing?

In a receiver that's 35 years old?... ALL of the electrolytic caps. :yes:
Although the mains might be OK to keep if the amp sounds right after replacing all the other ones and if they show no signs of failure.

Reminds me of the joke about the guy who asks his dentist if he has to floss all his teeth every day.
The dentist says "no".
So the guy says "Which ones do I need to floss?" to which the dentist replies "Only the ones you want to keep". :D

FWIW, this sounds like a bad audio driver or audio power transistor...

One rule of re-capping, the receiver must be working properly I.E. comes out of protection, all switches function, and the sound is not distorted. You need to troubleshoot the receiver and find out what is wrong and repair that before you do a wholesale re-capping (that may require replacing some electrolytic caps). Once the receiver is working then you can start the replacement of all the electrolytic caps.

The amp works very well for a while if left unpowered. Then slowly, it starts to give off crackling sounds on the right speaker which persists until the amp is left untouched for a few more days...

Hi, I bought my Sansui 881 for $70 and was amazed how good it sounds. It actually rivals my Marantz 2325 in some ways, and that is a 125w unit. Ofcourse the base is not as deep but sonically it seems very acurate. One big dent in the wood cabinen on the side, but sound wise it is really nice. Currently my bed room unit. :music:

The cracklin you here is from the input transistor, Tr1, Tr2 or Tr3, Tr4. They are located on the audio bd. just behind co8 and co7. the transistor are 2sc1222. I just fixed a 771 with the same problem. The 771 uses different transistor , but has the same configuration. These trnsistors are used as a diff. amp. ( Pioneer sx636 also uses the same cnfig. for there audio input circuit)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom