New to the family....need help identifying my new purchase please!

I'll keep everyone post on my progress. While I have you hear, would it be a crime to update the console to modern day insides and restore the vintage look on the outside. I am looking for something where I can Bluetooth while rocking the sheetrock to powder. My plan is to have this as a "daily driver" in my bedroom and my thoughts were it does seem to be a model that is collectable. I am trying to source a Zenith Louver door that I plan to restore and keep intact as my "Sunday drive." I am options, opinions and advice. Thank you all in advance!

Looks like an excellent starting point for a mono setup for 78s and mono pressings using a true mono cartridge. Very attractive.

If there is an AUX input you can hook up a Bluetooth input there. I'm not up on Bluetooth but I know that guys use it to go into vintage gear.
That way there is no need to modify anything, just run a cable up to your phone or what ever.

BillWojo

Bluetooth is wireless, but everything else you said is correct Bill. OP can run a cable from a phone to an Aux input. Or there is probably a Bluetooth gadget that would receive from the phone and output line level audio.

If there is no Aux input, it is possible to create one with a little ingenuity and a soldering iron.

In any case I would strongly recommend fixing up the original tube gear in this console and listen to it that way. This is practically a museum piece and it would be a shame to alter it. JMHO.

Took me a minute....this thing doesn't have a radio tuner, it's only a record player. Does not have a source selector knob so there is no AUX input. Schematic shows the one input (which you can see as a black cable plugging into the side of the amp) going to the RIAA equalized phono amp.

Still would be possible to add an input with a switch and an extra jack.

Schematic is here:

https://app.box.com/s/4rjobo8zzu79yihtxh6u

BTW it also has multiple phono equalization curves, which is great if you're in to very old 78s before the RIAA curve was standardized.

Hello Tox! Thanks for the info. In all honesty, I am very new to all this. I'm just being led by my desire to own a piece of history. The plan is to keep the old tube gear, and only updating what needs to be in order to be able to listen to mp3. I have zero clue what a 78 or RIAA is. I'm not even sure if this console is stereo; like I said, "I am really new" to all this. I am not really sad about no having a tuner, I rarely listen to the radio as it is; too much BS. My goal is to get it running right (retrofit what I need), update speakers and installing either a aux or bluetooth module so that I can listen to it in my room.

Thank you for schematic Tox! Just downloaded it; now the process of learning to understand it. I don't want to alter it if I don't have to, I just want her to be loud/powerful and be able to play mp3's. Do you think it's not worth modifying it because it's valuable, or because it's old and in really great condition?

Back
Top Bottom