New to the forum, and new receiver (Mark 1500) help

cheath94

Hi all, I'm not extremely new as I have used this forum for information for awhile now, but never posted. Anyways I got into audio when my dad gave me his old Technics setup which included a SU-8044, complete with a blown right channel. I have since repaired it and works and sounds decent.

Last week my fiance's grandfather wanted to know if i was interested in a old receiver. Of course I said yeah. He comes out with a Project One Mark 1500! He tells me that he thinks it has a short because one channel doesn't work very well. I got it home and powered it up and could tell that it definitely had some dirty switches and pots. I had some CRC QD sitting around and cleaned them up, (I know Deoxit is preferred and I will be ordering some). Upon letting it dry I powered it back up and it sounded great. Next step I checked the DC-offset of each channel and it wasn't to bad, but not great either (40mv-52mv). After looking at the board and determining that I knew which pots were the adjust for the offset I managed to get them very close to 0v.

My next question is what should be my next step? From the research I have done, there is no service manual out there so I'm just going by what I know and what other people do to these old receivers.

Please ignore the mess in the background. It has a few scratches and dings. The power switch knob has been busted off ( Trying to find a part number or source one from another receiver). The watt meters for both channels quit working, which i understand is a common problem with these project one receivers. I have seen a post on here where the guy took meters from a pioneer sx-1280 and split them in half and used them. I might try to source some of them and try that as well, I prefer the black face.

Attachments

• Mark 1500.jpg
    Mark 1500.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Mark 1500 2.jpg
    Mark 1500 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 27
Next thing to do with it is hook it up and enjoy it while you search for parts and information. As you enjoy it, keep track of how it works and make a list of any issues. Then address those as needed.

How did you fix the Technics? Asking if you have learned about the guts or not, fixing the amp and figuring which VRs to twist to adjust the offset. Maybe as you find the part for the power you can jump inside and refresh it, fix the meters and change/repair the switch.

I like the way they look too. I saw one at the flea market once, but it was smaller and had a weird issue. All the knobs and buttons had the chrome coming off which showed that the parts were a clear yellow plastic. It was ugly and I passed. I hope your serves you well.

I like the way they look too. I saw one at the flea market once, but it was smaller and had a weird issue. All the knobs and buttons had the chrome coming off which showed that the parts were a clear yellow plastic. It was ugly and I passed. I hope your serves you well.
Yeah I have never seen the brand before, from my research this was the cream of the crop model. All the switch covers and knobs are aluminum and weighted really nice.

Back
Top Bottom