New to the forum - lurking for months

r.chrome

Hi yall!

I've ended up here more and more as I have been getting my bearings in the stereo repair world. I come from a synthesizer repair background but have been working for the past year as a repair technician at the Homeboy Industries owned Homeboy Electronics Recycling. We get a lot of strange stereo equipment that we repair and resell around LA. One of my favorites was a Marantz 2275 with blown output transistors someone donated from Altadena CA. It's been fun learning to work on this old stereo equipment and speakers. I'm afraid it's made me more of a snobbish audiophile as well :/

I also produce music and have a home studio, which is where most of my favorite speakers are. I have acquired some new ones since working here, notably some NS-10's which I power from a BGW 250d and a reftone mono mixcube I power with a Hafler p230. My mains in the studio are Neumann KH-120's and I love them.

The stereo setup I've built in the last year is a Luxman r-1050 that came in too broken to sell, a pro-ject turntable someone abandoned, a luxman k something tape deck I scored off Clist and a pair of Bowers and Wilkens 705 (older style) Speakers i straight up bought after they came thru the shop (with annihilated tweeters) because I had never heard anything like them. It's been fun listening to records again.

Anyways I have ended up often looking to this forum for opinions on gear that comes thru. We do individual drop offs, asset management for large companies like disney or paramount or even hospitals and e waste disposal for medium sized companies. So all kinds of weird stuff always makes its way here and when its vintage audio and some strange brand I have never heard of I end up here! So thanks! Ya'lls general opinions and vibe seem to match my own sensibilities so I thought it time to become a little more active here.

Sounds like a great background - kudos!

Back
Top Bottom