New to Turntables

If you can up the budget $100, I'd go with the Project Debut Carbon Esprit.
This is poor advice in terms of bang-for-buck.
It's a NEW turntable with a warranty and perfect for entry level buyers.
Not perfect. At all.
You'd have to spend over a grand to get anything better.
We have entered the realm of farcical now.
Yes it's totally manual, but a better bet than a used 'table.
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.
They can get rather pricey if you have to rehab it or pay someone to do it.
The reason for the existence of this thread is to help the OP find a decent deal on a used deck that won't need to be rehab'ed, or won't need much.

Here's what I can tell you about the Pro-ject decks:
  • The majority of the people who attempt to change out the cartridge will break the clips on the tonearm wires. Because they're cheap and flimsy clips. You will have to pay for this repair because it's not covered by the warranty. I get these all the time.
  • The motor WILL NOT LAST with regular use. Because they're cheap and flimsy motors. You will have to buy a new one. Unless it dies within two years (hey, it could happen!), it won't be covered by the warranty. Depending on your model and when it dies, there might be spares available. But there might not.
As a comparison, here's what I can tell you about a Dual 1019 that's 50 years old:
  • Unless somebody has absolutely trashed the thing, it can be turned into an excellent performer.
  • There are still plenty of these in the wild (far more than a Pro-Ject) that can be used as good parts donors if one is needed. Rebuilt idlers -- the part of the mech most likely to need replacing -- are available for $28 at VOM.
  • It is more likely to still be working in another 50 years than a new Pro-Ject deck.
I won't rag on the performance of the Pro-Jects -- they sound fine when they're working. But they won't last that long. I take them apart and see what they're made of. Trust me on this.

because it's too many opinions and without fail some argument about these opinions will start taking place in the thread. Might even happen in this one

Indeed.. :)

Hopefully the PL-530 will get him going!

Pioneer PL530. Any opinions on this one?
Good decks. Their one weak point is the plastic bracket that goes down into the base and connects the tonearm to the rest of the turntable. It is known to crack and make the arm loose. You can google "Pioneer PL-530 loose" and find several threads on it here and on VE. If the arm doesn't seem loose in the base, it should be fine.

There's a Linn LP12 close to me. I wish I could afford it because wow it's gorgeous. Also, the ad for the PL530 says that, "the arm on return falls just short of where it should." Is this a sign of a loose arm?

There's a Linn LP12 close to me. I wish I could afford it because wow it's gorgeous.

Also, the ad for the PL530 says that, "the arm on return falls just short of where it should."

Is this a sign of a loose arm?

Should be easily adjustable, see service or owner's manual. :)
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-530.shtml

Not necessary a sign of a loose tone arm.

Check the black plastic tone arm base for cracks if you have the chance. :idea:

Last edited:
Not perfect. At all.We have entered the realm of farcical now.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. The reason for the existence of this thread is to help the OP find a decent deal on a used deck that won't need to be rehab'ed, or won't need much.

• The majority of the people who attempt to change out the cartridge will break the clips on the tonearm wires. Because they're cheap and flimsy clips. You will have to pay for this repair because it's not covered by the warranty. I get these all the time.
  • The motor WILL NOT LAST with regular use. Because they're cheap and flimsy motors. You will have to buy a new one. Unless it dies within two years (hey, it could happen!), it won't be covered by the warranty. Depending on your model and when it dies, there might be spares available. But there might not.
As a comparison, here's what I can tell you about a Dual 1019 that's 50 years old:
  • Unless somebody has absolutely trashed the thing, it can be turned into an excellent performer.
  • There are still plenty of these in thean confirm that i wild (far more than a Pro-Ject) that can be used as good parts donors if one is needed. Rebuilt idlers -- the part of the mech most likely to need replacing -- are available for $28 at VOM.
  • It is more likely to still be working in another 50 years than a new Pro-Ject deck.
I won't rag on the performance of the Pro-Jects -- they sound fine when they're working. But they won't last that long. I take them apart and see what they're made of. Trust me on this.

Well having owned a Dual 1019, I c
Not perfect. At all.We have entered the realm of farcical now.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. The reason for the existence of this thread is to help the OP find a decent deal on a used deck that won't need to be rehab'ed, or won't need much.

• There are still plenty of these in the wild (far more than a Pro-Ject) that can be used as good parts donors if one is needed. Rebuilt idlers -- the part of the mech most likely to need replacing -- are available for $28 at VOM.

Having owned a Dual 1019 many years ago, I can attest they are fine performers, in their day. If the OP is dead set on used, I suppose there are worse choices. As a recent owner of the Project (2 years), it's been a great turntable. I even changed the original Ortofon 2M red to a 2M blue, WITHOUT BREAKING ANY LEAD WIRES! Yes it can be done!

As usual, haters start hating on new tables. In this case the OP is asking about used, so no point getting into the argument. Bangsezmax, you are wrong....That's all :)

Bangsezmax is like a car mechanic who sees the lemons all the time. As for the Project Carbon the plinth should be a bright yellow to warn the potential buyer as to what's in store for him. There's a good reason these new entry level tables take a huge depreciation the minute you open the box, you can read all about it on the pages of AK and as he said none will still be spinning 50 years from now let alone 2 years from now.

. . . The reason for the existence of this thread is to help the OP find a decent deal on a used deck that won't need to be rehab'ed, or won't need much. . .
To be fair, the OP in the original post did not specify that he was only interested in used turntables. He did, however, use the word vintage in his third post.

As usual, haters start hating on new tables. In this case the OP is asking about used, so no point getting into the argument. Bangsezmax, you are wrong....That's all :)
I dissect hundreds of turntables and inspect their innards. It gives you a very different perspective in terms of the design and the materials used by the manufacturer and their commitment to a quality product. So you can call me wrong if you want, but you can't call me uninformed.

Like I said, some of the Pro-Jects are fine performers. I just think they should start at about $150.

There's a Linn LP12 close to me. I wish I could afford it because wow it's gorgeous. Also, the ad for the PL530 says that, "the arm on return falls just short of where it should." Is this a sign of a loose arm?
The Linns are amazing. If there's a knock on them, it's that some Linn experts (who can be a little snooty IMO) will tell you that the suspension needs to be regularly and properly tuned by a specialized Linn technician with the proper jigs and whatnot. But the LP12s that have come through my shop sounded glorious without me having to do anything other than the usual arm and cartridge setup.

On the 530, the arm not returning all the way is not quite a red flag (a yellow flag?) in terms of the arm issue. It may be nothing. But it may be a symptom of a cracked arm base.

It would be better to find a used table that is working 100% than one that has anything not working.

In the Miami area CL is full of good $150 tables like Sony PS-X5 and Denon tables like the DP-7F which looks like BPC but sounds way better than it looks.

I’m sure if you keep an eye out on your local CL something will appear in the $150-200 range that will give you many years of fun.

A turntable is like a girlfriend, its best you do your own shopping for what you want. You can't ask for others to find a girlfriend or wife for you as only you would know what you like.

Case in point I don't like Duals. I don't care how much someone else likes Dual Turntables.

A turntable is like a girlfriend, its best you do your own shopping for what you want. You can't ask for others to find a girlfriend or wife for you as only you would know what you like.

Case in point I don't like Duals. I don't care how much someone else likes Dual Turntables.

Find me a redhead. :)

Read my post, it says I purchased the Technics 6 months ago.

Here, I copied and pasted it for you.

"If sold on Technics the 1200 I posted above was purchased about 6 months ago on eBay for $300, plus $60 shipping, came with a Shure cartridge and new in box stylus. The table is pristine as these pics will attest, again patience is your friend, along with due diligence in communication with the seller before purchase a must"

Just posted a KD500 with an AT arm, can't remember the cartridge in another thread a few days ago for $500, I've seen them for less in great condition but I have a search on eBay.

Not long ago I brought a KD770D going for $345 on eBay to the attention of another member here, they had shown interest in mine but passed because they had recently purchased a car.

Again, I watch eBay for certain decks etc by setting a search, it's how I scored my NOS Grace F8-L10, and F8C Custom currently on my Grace G707 arm.

This is the same KD500 I mentioned earlier, the price has dropped $50, if I needed another table I would offer $350 and maybe meet somewhere between. As I mentioned, if patient deals can still be had, try beating this table with anything new at the price.

You know, I just looked at this again and the more I look the more I like. The fact this has an intact "working" dust cover is rare, the hinges on these usually fail long ago, that really adds to this tables value.

Screenshot_20181006-213353.png

I've attached a few more pics, looks really nice, no affiliation whatsoever.

Screenshot_20181006-221917.png Screenshot_20181006-221846.png Screenshot_20181006-221826.png Screenshot_20181006-221802.png

Last edited:
Bangsezmax is like a car mechanic who sees the lemons all the time. As for the Project Carbon the plinth should be a bright yellow to warn the potential buyer as to what's in store for him. There's a good reason these new entry level tables take a huge depreciation the minute you open the box, you can read all about it on the pages of AK and as he said none will still be spinning 50 years from now let alone 2 years from now.

I am like Bangsezmax, I have the same role in this as he does. I see turntables as customers bring them in. Good, great, not so great, and outright defective. When he and I make a recommendation, it's one we see which mainly only needs minor maintenance, setup as needed, a cartridge and/or stylus as needed. We both call it as we see it. There's turntables we love seeing, some of which we cringe at seeing, we do our best to get them playing records reliably on a daily basis. We do our best for our customers to be repeat, and refer other people our way, and we love happy clientele. When I see a nice old Japanese DD, or a nice old Japanese AC motored belt drive complete and in need of just love and TLC, I know my odds are high it can play records again outside of a very few outliers or severely damaged examples. Some of the turntables I see are pushing 40 years old, and still keep on running when chosen right.

Back
Top Bottom