New to Vintage Audio

jcmjrt

Addicted Member
I've recently "discovered" tube amps and how different they can sound from solid state. I've been considering getting a tube amp/preamp and McIntosh has a good reputation and are aesthetically pleasing. I'm looking at an MC250 which was supposedly working until unplugged. It looks in good condition. What's a good price? Would I have to have a pair? There's only one. What would I need in the way of a preamp? I'm in the SF Bay area and was wondering about repair support if it was needed. These tube amps are rather intriguing and I'd like to learn more about operation and maintenance....I guess that I'll be hanging out here and lurking some now that I've found this place...BTW I'm not rich so that's always a consideration.

aesthetics

By "aesthetically pleasing" I presume you mean "drop dead gorgeous!"

The MC250 is not a tube amplifier. Could it have been an MC240 (which is)?

We have a couple of Audio Karma sponsors who can put your McIntosh in top shape.

VintageMac

Welcome. I'm also somewhat new here.

Listen, I'm close to the bay area and have been keeping my eye out for a vintage Mc tube amp(s) locally. If you decide to pass on the purchase, please forward me the info on the MC-240, will ya? :yes:

Thanks and good luck!
Randog

Randog, look on e-bay and you'll find it. It's in SF and going for unfortunately more money that I can afford. It looks like I may have better taste than my budget will allow. I may have to start at the shallower end of the pool.

jcmjrt said:
Randog, look on e-bay and you'll find it. It's in SF and going for unfortunately more money that I can afford. It looks like I may have better taste than my budget will allow. I may have to start at the shallower end of the pool.

I was in the same boat you are, wanted tube but could only afford solid state. If you go with McIntosh SS you'll notice a huge difference in sound quality from anything you've ever heard before. I started out with just a MA-6100 integrated amp 70WPC and the sound is amazing (even through cheap speakers). You can usually find an integrated Mac on ebay anywhere from about 450 to $650 (models MA-5100 45WPC, 6100 70WPC, or 6200 75WPC). My brother got a new kenwood A/V receiver recently that costs $700 and the sound doesn't come close to my MA6100 (lots of hiss in the kenwood when it's cranked up and the definition is not as good) nor does the power output compare to my McIntosh. In short I recommend anything McIntosh, SS or tube. Furthermore, tube equipment can be more expensive to maintain (price quality replacement tubes). Once in good working order the tubes can last for many years but there are a lot of factors that affect how long your tubes will last. As long as you ventilate your SS amp well, you can pretty much forget about having to maintain except for cleaning the glass every now and then. Thus, my recomendation is to try out McIntosh SS equipment, you won't be disappointed. My amp is at least 26 yrs old and I guarantee it sounds better than any modern amp under $1200 nowadays and probably better than more expensive new amps. I've also heard top of the line Sony, Elite, Onkyo, and Kenwood, none of them compare to McIntosh. Don't give up on SS, it can sound as good as tube (in the case of McIntosh).

I've also heard top of the line Sony, Elite, Onkyo, and Kenwood, none of them compare to McIntosh. Don't give up on SS, it can sound as good as tube (in the case of McIntosh).
Where the hell is the 'upturned nose' smilie?? :lmao:

amason3 said:
I've also heard top of the line Sony, Elite, Onkyo, and Kenwood, none of them compare to McIntosh.

Nor should they. McIntosh gear is in a different class than that gear. Sony, Onkyo, Kenwood etc are typical consumer equipment, not true audiophile HiFi reproduction equipment.

Right

ninohernes said:
Nor should they. McIntosh gear is in a different class than that gear. Sony, Onkyo, Kenwood etc are typical consumer equipment, not true audiophile HiFi reproduction equipment.

That's the point I'm trying to get across; even solid state McIntosh will sound better than any other solid state the guys heard. He doesn't have to go tube for great sound.

You are right in that I haven't heard Mc SS equipment so it may be as good. In fact, I've been reading and some reviews specifically mention that Mc SS sounds "tubey". It's too bad that we can't join each other in the stereo room and check out all the different sounds. Wouldn't that be nice? I found a local Fisher 500C that's going for a reasonable (maybe) price. I'm going to check it out Tuesday. The guy says that it's dirty but not rusty, broken string on the tuner dial and played about 6 years ago when it got shunted aside into a storage locker. That's where I'm meeting him. He says that he also has a (WE?) tube checker which has been recently calibrated and an 8 amp variac which I may get. Any ideas on value? and he remembered that he has a Scott preamp/amp (didn't remember version) but did say that it ran 4 7591 A tubes. The guy is getting divorced, retired and moving basically at the same time and is looking to unload from a storage locker that I get the idea he hasn't been in too much in a while. I wish that I knew more about what I was looking at but I don't. If you have some clue then chime in. BTW, I haven't given up the idea of a Mc....and I'd have to agree that it looks like ebay is outta' control...

amason3 said:
That's the point I'm trying to get across; even solid state McIntosh will sound better than any other solid state the guys heard. He doesn't have to go tube for great sound.

I agree! The McIntosh solid state gear is smooth as ever!! Actually, I should say transparent. It does not color, or alter the sound in any way.

To JCMJRT

Sorry, I'm not that knowledgable about what Fisher and Scott go for, all I know is that tube equipment in general goes pretty high. You might check out the tube forum. The 500 is a sought after piece from what I understand and I'm sure people who know tube equipment can give you an idea what they are selling for. There are some posts on the Fisher 400 and 500c right now in the forum. Also, you might try asking Terry Dewick, he's a wealth of info about vintage equipment.

jcmjrt,
the variac would be a worthwile investment if your going to be getting into tube audio and same with the calibrated WE tube checker.
he remembered that he has a Scott preamp/amp (didn't remember version) but did say that it ran 4 7591 A tubes.
the scott integrated could be a 299d or lk72 which is the kit version of the 299d.both are very good amplifiers when brought upto specs.if the 500c doesnt cut it when you go to look at it id seriously look at getting the scott perhaps you can get both if he doesnt want an arm and leg for them.
chris

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I went ahead and posted in the tube forum to see if there was anyone else there who might know about some of these items. Being so new to the whole thing, it can be difficult to know what prices should be...although I do agree that in general it seems prices are high on tube gear.

I was going to post this in the other thread but I would suggest that you take the approach that if it has been sitting in a storage place for some time
and still original that you need to expect to need to have the unit(s) gone
through variac'd or not. If you are in my part of the bay area I could give you help if you need it. IMO, the Fisher sounds like too much to bring back if you don't get it for near free but the Scott 299 might be worthwhile.

Carl

Thanks for your generous offer Carl. I may take you up on it. I'll be looking at the units later today so it won't be long before I figure out what (if anything) I end up with.

Back
Top Bottom