New Tonearm Lifter

Both are versions of the Audio Technica Safety Raiser (patent expired). It worked flawlessly, and was height adjustable. Is the Fwend adjustable? Their ads show different sizes — do you have to choose the one that matches to your TT, platter height?

Both are versions of the Audio Technica Safety Raiser (patent expired). It worked flawlessly, and was height adjustable. Is the Fwend adjustable? Their ads show different sizes — do you have to choose the one that matches to your TT, platter height?

Only approximately. Both sizes are adjustable over a fair range. The AT and the similar Profile one I used to have, and the current Chinese version also have height adjustment but use spacers too to handle a greater range.

I also question the "worked flawlessly" bit. It worked well generally but could also be fiddly and if the wire "trigger" ever got bent, as happened to one I had, it could be a real pain.

I also question the "worked flawlessly" bit. It worked well generally but could also be fiddly and if the wire "trigger" ever got bent, as happened to one I had, it could be a real pain.
You mean "worked flawlessly unless damaged." Of course damage affects performance, as with everything else — including Little Fwend and other versions.

If the trigger gets bent (damaged) it's very easy to straighten. As for fiddly, if it's positioned correctly, and you understand how it works, it's pretty straightforward — as with Little Fwend and other versions.

You mean "worked flawlessly unless damaged." Of course damage affects performance, as with everything else — including Little Fwend and other versions.

If the trigger gets bent (damaged) it's very easy to straighten. As for fiddly, if it's positioned correctly, and you understand how it works, it's pretty straightforward — as with Little Fwend and other versions.

I used them for many (25 or more?) years. I fully understand how they work, and they still were fiddly at times. On the last AT I had (my third I think) the trigger was bent, not by me, at the mounting end of things and I struggled to get it correctly reshaped with only limited success. I am quite mechanically inclined but still eventually gave up on it.

By the way, some of those are completely made of plastic but painted to look like metal.

Is that statement from personal experience? I HAVE bought one of those and it has no more plastic in it than the AT they emulate. The lifter platform is plastic, the top plate that the trigger arm attaches to is plastic and the height adjustment spacers are plastic. The rest is metal. That mix of plastic and metal is exactly the way the AT was constructed.

Anyway, back to the Little Fwend. :)

I've listened to a couple of dozen records with the Fwend so far. No issues whatsoever. Works every time and it contributes a lot to the enjoyment of playing records. Like the other components in my system, its very elegant and well engineered. I have about $10K invested in my system plus 800--900 LPs, so I'm not at all concerned about spending $250 on a device that works so well and looks so good. You'd be impressed with how solidly built this component is. There is no "play" in the mechanics, and the neodymium magnetic mounting system is incredibly stable. If any adjustments become necessary in the future, the process could not be easier. If my maths are correct, the investment in the Fwend represents 2.5% of the cost of the system. I would say that is a fair price for something so useful and brilliant.

If you haven't seen the videos, take a look at the hydraulic-like action as it lifts my precious carbon fibre tonearm and Grado Master cartridge with the utmost of care and precision:

Last edited:
I'll have to put one of those on my Christmas list. If you've ever been quoted for stainless steel machining work you'd know this item is not expensive for what it is.

Sometimes you gotta go with what looks good even if it cost a little more especially if it’s going to be showcased like most tables are, the Little Fwend tonearm lifter looks very nice and solid. I have the Ortofon Hi Jack on my AR XA and I personally love the way it looks with the table , it isn’t an easy glide up and down lifter it’s all manual which to some would be a pita, but the craftsmanship is so beautiful that imo it overshadows it’s manual only operation yet still serves it’s purpose as a tonearm lifter .

D074E34B-52FF-4E00-A02D-759AC10FAF27.jpeg 61DD3A14-7F53-4397-AD6A-C8A6A473C7EE.jpeg

Audiofreak71

Last edited:
Sometimes you gotta go with what looks good even if it cost a little more especially if it’s going to be showcased like most tables are, the Little Fwend tonearm lifter looks very nice and solid. I have the Ortofon Hi Jack on my AR XA and I personally love the way it looks with the table , it isn’t an easy glide up and down lifter it’s all manual which to some would be a pita, but the craftsmanship is so beautiful that imo it overshadows it’s manual only operation yet still serves it’s purpose as a tonwarm lifter .

View attachment 1255416 View attachment 1255417

Audiofreak71

That's actually one of the coolest things I've seen all week! Looks great with your deck and has a killer name to boot. Love it!

That's actually one of the coolest things I've seen all week! Looks great with your deck and has a killer name to boot. Love it!
Thanks. It does it’s job and looks pretty classy while doing it imo . Yeah I thought it was a clever name when I first saw it lol .

Audiofreak71

Back
Top Bottom