New Toy 2330

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by Fairlane, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Fairlane

Fairlane AK Subscriber Subscriber

Always wanted one of these and my good buddy slowpat tipped me off to this one for sale locally but at a price that a restored unit in top shape would command. No picture in the ad either but I shot the seller an offer after a quick picture that he sent me only showing the face and I could see a lamp out so it was clearly unrestored original.

Fast forward to yesterday I get an email from the seller weeks later saying he was never going to restore it and if I wanted it I could have it for a little more than my offer. I did at the time show him some pictures of my other Marantz receivers I have restored and he did like that a lot since it was his fathers and that was one of the reasons he called me because I will get it back to its former glory. He even brought it over for me to hook up and test

Well it was a mess and the controls were so dirty it was hard to test which worked in my favor of course so I got a better deal but the price was fair to both of us. The relay clicked though so I felt good taking the chance on it.

A little after then the before. Got some LED's in it since I had them already and working on the cap list for it.
    After some control cleaning and some easy adjustments it is in good shape mechanically.

Noticed it has two different types of output transistors; one quad with black writing and the other quad is red. Just curious if it would have come from the factory that way, no issues and both channels sound exactly the same. Don't know if it was a warranty thing or the factory using what it had?

From the little testing I have done it is a powerful beast! It will easily humble my 2325.

0311181747.jpg

0311182000.jpg
    0311181306.jpg

0311181306a.jpg

0311181327a.jpg

0311181329.jpg

0311181326.jpg

Decades of grime and dirt. It is cleaning up pretty good though.

cortico and Aaron99 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

One my favorite receivers ever.

catrafter likes this.
  3. Fairlane

Really surprised by power of this. Just the slightest turn on the volume knob gets this thing loud.

Should be fun once it's sorted out to open her up with abandon.

Looking at the main filter caps they are 15000uf 90volt. Easy to get them in 100volt and I think I will go with the Vishay caps.

Anyone have experience with them? In the past I have gone with the United Chemi-Con but the Vishay caps have a considerably longer life according to the spec sheets.

4. tarior

tarior Dirty pool, old man? Subscriber

Seems like I used 18K uF 100 volt caps in mine. Plain ol' CDE large can type. Hard to go wrong with either UCC or Vishay. Either one will probably out live both of us.

5. Fairlane

Thanks. There are several options and I agree any of the mentioned brands should be fine.

6. Jailtime

Jailtime Standin' on a corner Subscriber

What a monster, and pretty rare as far as I can tell. Nicely built too, I like the covers for all the boards, makes for easy cleanup.

7. Fairlane

Yes I had its smaller brother the 2285 and it too was a beautifully made receiver and gave me the bug to keep looking for the 2330.
    Like that it does not have the dual can caps of the 2330B and has separate amplifier boards that are easy to remove and place on your work bench.

8. Fairlane

Doing some preliminary testing with it now that I know it is in good running condition.

Have new main filter caps on the way and I can source the other caps locally for now until the Bay Area prices every small electronics business out of existence.

Got all the finger cheese removed from the face plate. Its not perfect but it's not bad.
    LED's looking nice I think.

0313182107c.jpg
    0313182107b.jpg

MBuras likes this.
  9. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Very nice! Hope you can find the missing knobs. :thumbsup:

10. Fairlane

I have the knobs Steve. Just running it with most of them off just so I could test it basically.
    Going to be removing the tone board soon to go over it so I did not want to put all of them back on.

Steven Tate likes this.
  11. KutzlerTrans

KutzlerTrans Jennie & I with Buddy and Barney. Subscriber

Congratulations!
    These are nice powerful units with a clean sound.

12. Fairlane

Got my new main filter caps from Mouser today. Got around to putting them in this evening.

The old originals were both leakers. You can see the corrosion on the connector. Cleaned it up with a small wire brush and it's good to go.

Took a little while to get both lined up to my satisfaction but they look good. Going to tackle the power supply tomorrow.
    0316181930a.jpg
    0316181932.jpg
    0316181933.jpg
    0316181944.jpg
    0316182025.jpg
    0317180011.jpg
    Have the tone board out at the moment so I hope to fire it up tomorrow and at least listen to it a little. Hope to get the power supply sorted then I can take my time doing the amp boards. My left amp has been out at some point in its lifetime it looks like and I suspect a warranty repair maybe.

Look forward to comparing it with my 2325.

13. Jailtime

Jailtime Standin' on a corner Subscriber

LEDs sure do look good in that beast, cool dial face on the 2330 and it's smaller siblings.

4 of the last 5 Marantz receivers I've restored had bad filters, seems to be a common thing as they get over 40 years old now.

14. Fairlane

Yes these were toast for sure. It did work but I only ran it long enough to check it out.

Look forward to firing it up for real. Hopefully tomorrow.

15. Dearslayer

Dearslayer AK Subscriber Subscriber

Good luck hope it works out. You're gonna love that beast. My 2330 is a daily driver and it sounds great.

16. Fairlane

Well here is my gut pile so far. Still evaluating what else I should do. Have not touch the buffer PH-01 as it looks like in has good caps on it. Have new films and lytics for it and really tempted to do that next. There is a small black tantalum on the board that is not marked. Anyone know the value?

Done the basics no just looking to go further potentially but it is sounding great. Been looking for a relay but noticed this one has six legs instead of eight. Can someone recommend a good replacement part number?

Any how here are a few more pictures.

0319181935a.jpg

0319181918.jpg

Attached Files: