New toy - SPDIF iPurifier

That really is the question isn't it? Is it a repackaged stock unit, or is it built on the same chassis as another piece. With something like computer audio it makes sense to use a component that is already in production, especially if it can be massaged to work well for audio. So that is the crux of the question. Is the innards the same or not? Just because the chassis looks the same does not make it the equivalent. And how to find out the difference. I do agree that one of these is expensive at list price, fortunately I did not have to pay that. However it is very obvious that it works well, and does what it says it does. That is very easy to tell.

Regards
Mister Pig

Fair enough, but the product description doesn't bring out any immediate thoughts the LanRover does anything more significant than other (quality) USB over Ethernet extenders, iCrons are known to work quite well for USB audio.

Fair enough, but the product description doesn't bring out any immediate thoughts the LanRover does anything more significant than other (quality) USB over Ethernet extenders, iCrons are known to work quite well for USB audio.

That is true, I can't say for sure that the ICrons are worse than the LANRover. Although it does seem that these Ethernet extenders are for commercial applications, and typically run in the $300 range new. They are not cheap either. And I did not significantly overpay for my unit. Let's say the price difference is not painful, and I have a vetted solution that is going to function properly for audio. I had no experience that shows me that is the case with the commercial market pieces.

Regards
Mister Pig

That is true, I can't say for sure that the ICrons are worse than the LANRover. Although it does seem that these Ethernet extenders are for commercial applications, and typically run in the $300 range new. They are not cheap either. And I did not significantly overpay for my unit. Let's say the price difference is not painful, and I have a vetted solution that is going to function properly for audio. I had no experience that shows me that is the case with the commercial market pieces.

Regards
Mister Pig

Sure, I'd too have no problem paying a reasonable price differential to have a peace of mind the device has been validated for my intended use, but at suggested retail it is a bit too much IMO.

These look interesting as well, and if there is no need to extend the range likely to work the same or better at the Ethernet based solution: http://intona.eu/en/products
Neither specifically deals with jitter I think, but improvements are likely because they filter out UBS noise and break ground loops.

Yeah, discussion wasn't really about the USB conditioners, or extenders, just plain ol' SPDIF.

But t
Yeah, discussion wasn't really about the USB conditioners, or extenders, just plain ol' SPDIF.

But that's the gist of it. USB appears to be noisy in general, and these devices clean up the USB signal in a way that is readily apparent. Technically it's a USB purifier in that it deals with inherent noise. Mine improved the sound of an inexpensive SMSL USB converter and old Dell D630 laptop. Now the architecture is an Ethernet extender that inserts itself into the USB feed, and the conversion process rejects/eliminates noise. It us just a different method of doing it from a Jitterbug or iPure.

Regards
Mister Pig

Great background and thanks for posting the link, I will have a look.

The source is a SB Touch.

The iPurifier would not doubt help on my desktop RX-V1/PSB Image 1B+ sub set up but it would be hard to justify the expense there. I have another Touch running into another RX-V1 driving a rather more serious pair of speakers, Kef 107. If I goy my hands on a iPurifier I would definitely give it a try there even though it is just for casual background listening.

I am not sure of how much can improve the sound on receivers that have internal DSP's. That's why I didn't get one for my Denon AVR, I think it has enough processing power to do the same thing (fifo buffer) and more (calculate SRC coefficients not just use look-up-tables). It's just a matter of how good the software is.

My Parasound multibit DAC didn't have that luxury, that's why I got it.

Interesting. Of course I used the V1s for 2ch only with effects off. Sould I assume the DSP would not enter into it?

Hmm, can't tell because it's all depending of the internal software, what was programmed into that. Theoretically I can see how they can add a FIFO buffer for all the signals, regardless of the choices you make on the front panel. Or they will not, like a "direct mode". Back then there was not sufficient processing power to do a lot of the things that today seem easy.
Example: my Parasound has a DSP dedicated for decoding Dolby Pro and Digital (with RAM memory), but it does nothing for the 2 channel signals. In latter models they added another DSP for DTS processing - because the original one couldn't do that either.

I guess you can try since you have a 60 day money back period. I know that mine doesn't go back, last night I spent several hours of listening, just pure joy of listening my well known songs with all the minute details that are "new" to me...

LE: I have DL the service manual for your receiver and took a look at the diagrams. Looks like the DSP memory block is used only when decoding Dolby signals, it is by-passed for 2ch operation.

Last edited:
FedEx says I should be getting mine delivered tomorrow. Reading reviews last night, I was surprised that there were quite a few that were claiming that it took THREE WEEKS to burn in. Three weeks?

Three weeks to burn in or three weeks for their ears to 'adjust' I have to wonder.

Mine arrived a little while ago and I hooked it up pronto. Initial impressions are very good. Mostly noticeable in the top end but benefits are from top to bottom. If it never breaks in any more than right now I'll be happy.

Listenng to Tidal lossless---->HDMI out of laptop--->HDMI Audio Extractor--->Optical--->DEQ2496--->IFi Spdif ipurifier--->Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 with upgraded discrete op-amps.

More to come.....

Mine arrived a little while ago and I hooked it up pronto. Initial impressions are very good. Mostly noticeable in the top end but benefits are from top to bottom. If it never breaks in any more than right now I'll be happy.

Listenng to Tidal lossless---->HDMI out of laptop--->HDMI Audio Extractor--->Optical--->DEQ2496--->IFi Spdif ipurifier--->Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 with upgraded discrete op-amps.

More to come.....
What do you use as an HDMI Audio Extractor?

HDMI out of laptop--->HDMI Audio Extractor--->Optical--->DEQ2496--->IFi Spdif ipurifier--->Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 with upgraded discrete op-amps.
I would also try to put the iPurifier before the DEQ2596. Or take the DEQ out of the chain completely.

I would also try to put the iPurifier before the DEQ2596. Or take the DEQ out of the chain completely.

I've thought about inserting it before the DEQ2496....just might have to give it a try.

The DEQ2496 is the single biggest asset in my system in regards to what digital component made the biggest improvement. The key is to only use it in the digital domain with an outboard DAC. The analog section is the weak link in this unit....so I don't use it. It will never leave my system.:thumbsup:

I've thought about inserting it before the DEQ2496....just might have to give it a try.

The DEQ2496 is the single biggest asset in my system in regards to what digital component made the biggest improvement. The key is to only use it in the digital domain with an outboard DAC. The analog section is the weak link in this unit....so I don't use it. It will never leave my system.:thumbsup:
I would assume that DEQ can benefit from a jitter free signal, and that the output of the DEQ is fairly clean in respect to jitter. That's why I was suggesting to try moving the iPurifier in front of it.
But if the output of DEQ has relatively high levels of jitter, then sure you would need a iPurifier there too...

Back
Top Bottom