New toy - SPDIF iPurifier

Interesting, at $250 it is very tempting to try a DEQ, is a USB to AES/EBU converter worth it over Toslink for computer use?

Interesting, at $250 it is very tempting to try a DEQ, is a USB to AES/EBU converter worth it over Toslink for computer use?[/QUOTE

I would try it. One thing I think everyone has agreed on that has tried a DEQ2496 is that it has excellent sound quality as long it is used digitally only with an outboard DAC.

As far as the spdif ipurifier, my main amp took a dump so I've been using a few others and they all sound great. I think tomorrow I'll take the iPurifier out of the chain and see what's up. Ive got quite a few hours run through it......at least 30 maybe 40.

I've put a good 50 hours through the iPurifier and after comparing with it in/out of the system I can clearly hear very little difference. The only time I heard a difference in sound was right after initially installing it and the highs were crisper. That went away gradually and then I did the comparison after 50 hours.

With the iPurifier connected, whenever I would pause playback after about 10 seconds or so I would get some nasty 'digital static' that would intermittently continue until I resumed playback. Not sure if this started from the very beginning but wasn't far off.

As of now I took the iPurifier out of the system and don't see a reason to put it back in.

^^^^^^^^Thanks for your thoughts SWL. That's just what I needed to hear to keep me from plunking down my hard earned coin for something that doesn't make a difference.

It makes or not a difference depending on the system that follows. Mine doesn't have any of the issues mentioned, no static noises with my CCA.
However, if the following stage has it's own DSP and buffer memory, then most likely the iPurifier is not really needed.

^^^^^^^^Thanks for your thoughts SWL. That's just what I needed to hear to keep me from plunking down my hard earned coin for something that doesn't make a difference.

No problem....but this is in my system with my gear. I got the iPurifier because the majority of the reviews were positive. It still may benefit your system, I don't know.....and don't know exactly why mine didn't benefit from it but I'm not too worried about it since I am and was happy with my setup anyway. I just wanted to try out a new toy and thought this may be of some help since part of my chain is spdif.

No problem....but this is in my system with my gear. I got the iPurifier because the majority of the reviews were positive. It still may benefit your system, I don't know.....and don't know exactly why mine didn't benefit from it but I'm not too worried about it since I am and was happy with my setup anyway. I just wanted to try out a new toy and thought this may be of some help since part of my chain is spdif.

Thanks and yes I read lots of the reviews to and I was on the fence about picking one up myself. Like you I'm pretty happy with my cd playback but of course was hoping for a possible inexpensive improvement. In my case it was going to go between my cd player and dac (Mac d100). It was tough for me to believe that a simple little add on like that would add anything to a modern $2G dac. Over the years personal experience has taught me not to trust all those glowing reviews.

Last edited:
In my case it was going to go between my cd player and dac.

Glad you mentioned that. I rarely use my cd player anymore....kinda forgot about it. I'll have to look at the adaptors that came with the iPurifier and see if I can put it in between my cd player and DEQ.

Well, that was easy......had just what I needed in my stash. It sounds smoooth. The way I have it hooked up will make it very easy to A/B with or without the iPurifier.

You did trust the reviews when you bought the "modern $2G DAC", didn't you? :D
I really did not browse the reviews much prior to purchase. What sold me on it were the specs and the name on the front:)

Last edited:
I just got done comparing the iPurifier in my system inserted between my cd player and DEQ. I went back and forth several times even though it was audible the first time, that the iPurifier does in fact clean up the sound in this spot. It is almost entirely in the mids-highs....improved clarity and detail.

This is 70 db at the sweet spot. I'd imagine the improvement could be more noticeable at higher volumes but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Also, I get no digital nastiness when plaback is paused this way. Works perfect. Maybe I'll contact ifi and ask them what might have been causing that when I had it connected to my DAC.

SWL,
Interesting info as I too have a DEQ 2496. Mine is fed via S/PDIF from a PC but I have bypassed the analog output section and use high-quality line matching transformers. I think it is a very good dac this way. This discussion has me intrigued about this purifier device. Might just have to give it a go.
John

Dammit I guess I can't write this purifier off as another gimmick just yet either.
Haha, nice! Well, like I said before, that proves that the output of the DEQ is very "clean" of jitter, so there is very little that could (or needed) to be done there if you are using the coaxial SPDIF connection (optical SPDIF inputs are prone to add some jitter, depending of the converter's quality).
On the other hand the CDP's are well known to have some level of jitter at the SPDIF outputs, but again, didn't know if the DEQ is handling that by itself or it needs some help.

As for being a gimmick, the iPurifier is definitely not one. It's just that some devices might have inside better SPDIF receiver solutions to deal with incoming jitter.
Where generic, PLL-based SPDIF receivers are used, this device will make an improvement. If more complex solutions are used (buffer FIFO RAM), iPurifier is not needed.

Here are their tests that basically prove that:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...-spdif-ipurifier-29537/index3.html#post618898

Last edited:
SWL,
Interesting info as I too have a DEQ 2496. Mine is fed via S/PDIF from a PC but I have bypassed the analog output section and use high-quality line matching transformers. I think it is a very good dac this way. This discussion has me intrigued about this purifier device. Might just have to give it a go.
John

I thought your name looked familiar. My DEQ 2496 sat in my basement for over a year out of intimidation from anything digital at the time. I think you were one of the members that walked me through setting it up. Thanks!

Since inserting the iPurifier between the cd player and DEQ I've been listening to cd's almost exclusively. I sent an email to ifi asking about the noise I was hearing when it was connected to my DAC. Hopefully they will respond soon.

Interesting discussion regarding deq 2496. Agree analog out is not good on this unit but haven't been able to like it using digital in/digital out. I can even bypass all modules in the Deq and still prefer it out of my system. Its a cool unit and wish it didn't degrade the sound for me. I only use it now for pink noise and rta/mic when changes made to triamp system.

Ouch....Well, it is after all a Behringer. Might want to return/exchange it for a different unit.

Back
Top Bottom