New tube gear from Yamamoto Sound Craft!

BrianB

AK Vendor Emeritus
Subscriber
Hey all,

Yamamoto Sound Craft - the Japanese audio manufacturer whose electronics and audio accessories I am importing to the U.S. - just informed me of some new products that are now available.

First up is a special edition of the A-08 amplifier (the unit I've been using for my avatar) which uses Western Electric 205D output tubes instead of the standard 45s. This SET amp has a power output of 1.1 watts per channel.

A-08-WE205D.jpg

Next up is the new A-09 single-ended amplifier, which uses 300B output tubes.

A-09-1A-web.jpg

And finally, here's a photo of Yamamoto's new CA-04 line-level tube preamplifier, which uses a pair of 6AK5Ws.

CA-04-1-web.jpg

Can't wait to start bringing these items in! :)

Cheers,
Brian
Venus Hi-Fi

Just received my CA-04 preamplifier, and this unit is KILLER! Granted, it lacks the phono section that my beloved Yamamoto CA-03L preamp has, but it's line-level performance is even more transparent, and the CA-04 retails for half as much as the CA-03L.

Perhaps I'm biased here, but in all honesty I don't think that I've ever heard a better-sounding preamp for SET amplifiers.

Next up is the new A-09 300B power amp, which should arrive in a couple of weeks. :)

Originally posted by chops
What's with those funky looking mushroom shaped tubes? What are they? :dunno:

Those are Tungsol 717A pentodes, which Yamamoto-san loves to use for driver tubes.

Originally posted by BrianB
Those are Tungsol 717A pentodes, which Yamamoto-san loves to use for driver tubes.

Here's a picture I took of a Western Electric 717A. I think I still have some of these. Perhaps Yamamoto-san would be interested? Or maybe Brian could inquire about offering these as an option. I think they've been in my basement long enough.

Sealed for your protection

I'm a sucker for original stuff like this that's still sealed. Funny, I took these photos a long time ago with my first digital camera, a Sony Mavica. They still look good though!

I'll bet those WE 205Ds are fun to replace.
Are the TJ versions a direct sub? Do they sound as good?
jack

Originally posted by tubino
Here's a picture I took of a Western Electric 717A. I think I still have some of these. Perhaps Yamamoto-san would be interested?

I'll ask, but Yamamoto Sound Craft already has a very large inventory of both Western Electric and Tungsol 717As, all of which have been tested by Mr. Yamamoto and grouped into matched pairs.

It really is a fantastic-sounding driver tube, and it looks way cool to boot!

Brian,

Sorry if that was a tad forward of me, but I would be pleased if my tubes wound up in such great-looking equipment. Anyway, good to know there's a sturdy supply of those cute little tubes!

I neglected to say before that those are gorgeous pieces of equipment. I think it's terrific when fine audio engineering meets refined aesthetics and craftsmanship. I hope I get the chance to see and hear one sometime.

Originally posted by tubino
I neglected to say before that those are gorgeous pieces of equipment. I think it's terrific when fine audio engineering meets refined aesthetics and craftsmanship. I hope I get the chance to see and hear one sometime.

Perhaps I could drop one of my Yamamoto amps off at your place the next time I visit Toledo. That's where I grew up, and my mom still lives there...

Originally posted by Jack G
I'll bet those WE 205Ds are fun to replace.
Are the TJ versions a direct sub? Do they sound as good?
jack

I've heard mixed things about the TJ 205Ds, but I myself don't have any experience with them.

And yeah, given that NOS Western Electric 205Ds often sell for $800 or more PER TUBE, this is one amplifier that I'd be tempted to use only on special occasions...

Originally posted by BrianB
Perhaps I could drop one of my Yamamoto amps off at your place the next time I visit Toledo. That's where I grew up, and my mom still lives there...
Brian, I can't tell you how exciting THAT would be! If you could make time we could do the A-B with deHavilland gear on the Tannoy System 12s I've got coming. Yamamoto amp or not, please keep me in mind for a visit next time you're here.

Back
Top Bottom