NEW Tuners

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
There are a few new FM Tuners out just now. I don't know much about them, but I've been looking at the info on the new Accuphase T-1000. It's insanely priced at $4,500 (still cheaper than the latest MD) but at least it has a novel design. If I understand it correctly, instead of a mulitplex unit, it converts the single channel signal to digital, then uses a DSP to generate the left and right channel digitally. So, it has an ADC, a digital splitter, and a DAC inside it. For those with even more $ to spend, it allows use of an external DAC, like a Mc MDA1000.

Now, Accuphase knows a bit about ADCs and DACs, as their TOTL electronic crossovers are also digital, and very highly regarded, but it strikes me that going into and back out of digital is a long trip just to avoid a multiplex circuit. Anyone know enough to explain their thinking? :scratch2:

Anyone have any info on other new Tunas?

Most of the noise you hear in FM is due to the MPX. That's why when you go to mono it is much quieter with less distortion. I imagine that coverting it to digital and what not. They are able to get a quieter stereo signal, with better separation and lower distortion. Does it sound better? Don't have the $4500 to find out.

Not much of New tuner fan. I think they made their best during the hayday of FM.

X

Maybe

Punker X said:
Most of the noise you hear in FM is due to the MPX. That's why when you go to mono it is much quieter with less distortion. I imagine that coverting it to digital and what not. They are able to get a quieter stereo signal, with better separation and lower distortion. Does it sound better? Don't have the $4500 to find out. Not much of New tuner fan. I think they made their best during the hayday of FM. X

Interesting! I certainly wouldn't plunk down that much $ until some expert reviewer says it's the cat's meow. On the other hand, Accuphase has shown that its knowledge of digital technology is second to none, and if they think the digital mpx unit is worth introducing a new tuner, it probably is. Certainly, the rest of the specs don't look much different to a T-109V.

Actually isn't the US and Canada about the same for made in the respective countries tuners? There's made in Canada Magnum Dynalab and made in the US McIntosh. In terms of models, Canada is ahead with the # of models of tuner model made by Magnum. Any other companies? Now that I think about it, in terms of manufactured receivers aren't the countries 1 on 1? Again Magnum and McIntosh.

VinylHanger said:
Now if they could just come out with a radio station worth paying 4,500 bucks to listen to.
Thats the catch right there. Generally speaking FM radio sucks.David

VinylHanger said:
Now if they could just come out with a radio station worth paying 4,500 bucks to listen to.
Amen to that. NPR is pretty much the only thing left around here fit to listen to on FM (let alone the muck that has become of AM). :no:

Wandered over to the Accu web site to see what a $4.5k tuner looks like and it's not up. Web site's kinda crummy, but, I would have to say that they're producing what is perhaps the most elegant set of audio components on the market. Really. Preamp:

Murray

Back
Top Bottom