New turntable acquired - Technics SL-QL1

Markoneswift

Quartz locked n ready to rock
I've just acquired a Technics SL-QL1 for $30 and I was wondering if anyone has one of these turntables ?

Apparently this one has been sat for quite some time and is described as having 'a couple of feet / springs missing'.

Does anyone know if parts are available for this model at all, or whether someone has a compatible model they are parting out ?

Thanks.

There are many Linner Tracking tables out there. They are supposed to totally eliminate Inner Grove Distortion. They all have a lot of mechanical hardware to accomplish this, that make it require more attention than a simple pivot arm. When setup and maintained properly they are fairly good. The piece you are looking at is not the worst of the lot. The mechanism needs cleaning and adjustment, and you can learn to do it. It also nay need a $3.00 belt. The other problem is that some require a special format cartridge that limits your choices. If you have adventure in your sole and can screw in a light bulb you can attempt this task. You might be surprised at how good it will sound!

There are many Linner Tracking tables out there. They are supposed to totally eliminate Inner Grove Distortion. They all have a lot of mechanical hardware to accomplish this, that make it require more attention than a simple pivot arm. When setup and maintained properly they are fairly good. The piece you are looking at is not the worst of the lot. The mechanism needs cleaning and adjustment, and you can learn to do it. It also nay need a $3.00 belt. The other problem is that some require a special format cartridge that limits your choices. If you have adventure in your sole and can screw in a light bulb you can attempt this task. You might be surprised at how good it will sound!

Hey thanks for the comments. I do actually know the benefits, and pitfalls, of linear tracking tables as I used to own a Technics SL-10. I'm wondering whether anyone on AK has a QL1 specifically so I can get an owners view on it.

Cheers,

Actually the SL-QL1 is one of the very best Technics linear trackers they made: their best is the long armed SL-M3, then come the SL-15, SL-10 and SL-7... which are on the same level. And guess what, the SL-Q1 belongs right with them: it was the full sized version of the premium jacket sized players built to the same standards. Unlike the lesser and later siblings it is a heavy built unit with full metal base and cover. Nice find, very cheap.

Actually the SL-QL1 is one of the very best Technics linear trackers they made: their best is the long armed SL-M3, then come the SL-15, SL-10 and SL-7... which are on the same level. And guess what, the SL-Q1 belongs right with them: it was the full sized version of the premium jacket sized players built to the same standards. Unlike the lesser and later siblings it is a heavy built unit with full metal base and cover. Nice find, very cheap.

Hey thanks for the info. I had the SL-10 a while back but just didn't like the 'feel' of it, being jacket-sized. I sold it on for a healthy profit so I didn't miss it too much :) I'm on to my third Technics TT now (had an SL-Q3 after the SL-10).

Hey thanks for the info. I had the SL-10 a while back but just didn't like the 'feel' of it, being jacket-sized. I sold it on for a healthy profit so I didn't miss it too much :) I'm on to my third Technics TT now (had an SL-Q3 after the SL-10).

Well then you probably already experienced that technology and build wise it is on the same level as the SL-10. It does not have the MC step up and the built in puck but that does not make it a lesser turntable.

Well then you probably already experienced that technology and build wise it is on the same level as the SL-10. It does not have the MC step up and the built in puck but that does not make it a lesser turntable.

My SL-10 had been fitted with an mm cartridge anyway and I removed the puck because I found it affected the sound somewhat.

Back
Top Bottom