New turntable needs new belt

Brian Brown

I picked up a Yamaha YP-B2 today and it needs a new belt. My question is, is a belt a belt or are some better than others? Do you get what you pay for?

Belts from different manufacturers can vary in their dimensions slightly. A slightly thicker or thinner belt can contribute to speed being off slightly. It might be so negligible that it is not noticed but it can also be dramatic. Also, a belt can be too wide for the motor pulley or guides. I've actually taken sharp scissors to a too wide belt to make it fit.

Kind of. Some might feel more pliable than others but it could be because of dimensions. Really old stock might be a problem as the rubber can break down over time.

I have a belt that varies in thickness from one spot to another. The result is the wonderful wow and flutter. Sounds like the motor has a problem, but the belt has a problem.

Buy from a reputable dealer, like LPGEAR or someone like that. If you need to return it due to QC problems, a good dealer will exchange it.

A belt is not just a belt, just a belt. Buy from someone reputable, not the cheap stuff on that auction site where they have a zillion of them in a warehouse that are "close enough" in width/diameter/thickness made of recycled car tires.

I have a couple Dual tables, and I always stock replacement belts from Thakker (noafil), because they are "correct"--sure, I can get a dozen of them from China for 25% of the cost of a single belt, but at least they fit correctly and maintain speed correctly.

Ordered one last night from "that one auction site" brand EVG. I new I wanted to stay away from one that said "unbranded"in the description so I picked one that had a brand name. Hope it's good, if not lesson learned and I'll order from LPgear. Thanks for the input everyone.

Back
Top Bottom