New Tv

rocknroll1

I am about to by a new TV. Probably a 70" 4K but what specs do I look for. There are so many to choose from now. I have looked at vizo and Samsungs. Would like suggestions please.

What you should do is look at the reviews and be aware of the problems these new tvs have. I went through this hell a little over a year ago and after 7 4k tvs within a 3 month period I learned alot,all were LG btw. The problem is called DSE or dirty screen effect and while watching the TV it will look like dirty lines that are vertical, it's very noticeable on panning scenes in daylight.

After doing much research I found out that all the brands of tvs can have this and that there is a certain percentage of tvs that are allowed to go through with these problems, kinda like the fda and being allowed a certain percentage of insects in our food. Anyway I ended up with a 65in Samsung 8000 series and while it's still not perfect it's better than the others. Btw I have all my tvs professionally calibrated and that doesn't do anything to take away the DSE in fact when calibrated it's more noticeable.

Just letting you know what to look out for and hopefully your luck is better than mine.

Audiofreak71

If you sit further away than 4 feet, 4K is worthless. Unless you are ... 12 and have perfect vision,
On a 70", ok - if you need that size it does make some sense to go for 4K.

The more contrast you have, the nicer the experience, you know, from the deepest black come the transient bursts of light, hehe.

So that leaves OLED technology really. OLED is basically "the" thing. No other tech comes close. Not last year at least. I know Sony et al reacted and brought out new tech too.

OLED can turn each pixel OFF. There is no backlight.

Every other TVs tech is "the same", like all amps sound the same. Yes, they are all different, but it doesn't really matter.

OLED is what high res music wants to be. Where the 24 bit "marketing" actually translates to more dynamic range. OLED range is unsurpassed, because it can do "complete and real" blacks.

What ev13wt said. OLED is buy it and enjoy for years to come. The LG interface is cool too. Bought a 55" LG in April.

First flat screen I had was an LG and I loved it. It got ruined and I bought a vizio that was awful. Sold the vizio and got a sony which was on sale.

The sony is not bad.

I didn't like the picture on the vizio and the delay was a lot. Couldn't watch a movie using my stereo cause the sound was off from the picture. If it were me I would stay away from vizio. Even if the picture looks good those tv's are cheaply made. There's a reason they are wal mart tv's. Just like I would never buy a surround sound unit from Wal-Mart.

I had a friend that had a husqvarna chainsaw. It had a bearing that went bad. He got a hold of the company and ordered the bearing. He got asked if the bearing was plastic or steel. He said steel then asked why. They said if he bought the saw at a hardware store then it would have the steel bearing. If he got it from a big box store it would have a plastic bearing even though they are the same model number. Big box stores are only worried about selling volume and don't care about quality was the guys explanation. So on that reason I don't buy things like that or electronics or tools from big box stores.

Who knows how many companies do the same things to get into big box stores. (Make something cheaper so the store can sell it cheaper. Pretty dirty for companies to do that but apparently it happens)

When I get another tv it will be an LG. Whichever way you go it's best to look up reviews on the tv's you have picked out.

Last edited:
I am about to by a new TV. Probably a 70" 4K but what specs do I look for. There are so many to choose from now. I have looked at vizo and Samsungs. Would like suggestions please.
Samsung or LG are the best. Everything else is third or worse.

OLED and HDR are the technologies that truly make the difference.

Smart TVs are great, but I like my Roku better. Additionally, using an external box allows me to get the hi-res codecs (Dolby Digital Plus, Atmos, etc.) whereas a Smart TV only has an optical output that can't handle those codecs. I think ARC might work but that's a finicky technology.

Also be sure to look at external output connections/inputs that you might need. Lots of Bluetooth but maybe that's not what you'll be using. Some TVs these days have almost no connections, even an earphone jack.

Also be sure to look at external output connections/inputs that you might need. Lots of Bluetooth but maybe that's not what you'll be using. Some TVs these days have almost no connections, even an earphone jack.
That's a great point. My brother was looking at a TV (a LG) about 6 months ago and it had ZERO audio outputs.

My Vizio's have been extremely reliable. In my bedroom I have one of their first LCD's and it's been going strong for 16 years. It's outlasted a Panasonic plasma that died one year out of warranty and a Hitachi.

I have a 4K Vizio 65" M in my den and love it.

Pay attention to HDR and what kind it has. There are two? kinds. Some TVs have both. Anyway, if you plan on using a 4K Blu Ray player, I think you'll need HDR in order to see the benefits of the 4K on the TV. Otherwise, the player will downsize the resolution. At least that's what happened to me. I bought one of the very first Sony 4K TVs for my bedroom, and it was just fine as a TV. Then one day I had the idea to buy a cheap 4K Blu Ray player. It even came with a 4K disk. So I hooked it all up and put in the disc. Then I got the message that the TV couldn't play HDR and the resolution was being played downscaled. The TV didn't have HDR and couldn't be updated via a firmware update. Maybe all the new TVs now have HDR, but it I'd pay attention to that issue.

Pay attention to HDR and what kind it has. There are two? kinds. Some TVs have both. Anyway, if you plan on using a 4K Blu Ray player, I think you'll need HDR in order to see the benefits of the 4K on the TV. Otherwise, the player will downsize the resolution. At least that's what happened to me. I bought one of the very first Sony 4K TVs for my bedroom, and it was just fine as a TV. Then one day I had the idea to buy a cheap 4K Blu Ray player. It even came with a 4K disk. So I hooked it all up and put in the disc. Then I got the message that the TV couldn't play HDR and the resolution was being played downscaled. The TV didn't have HDR and couldn't be updated via a firmware update. Maybe all the new TVs now have HDR, but it I'd pay attention to that issue.

You are mixing up resolution and HDR. HDR is only the "dynamic range" from black to light. Has nothing to do with resolution. (btw If a pixel cannot turn off, it will always be greay - never black, no matter high high the fake numbers in marketing tote the contrast ration to be.

The sample BR probably has an option for HDR. Just plug your laptop into the tv and see if it works with youtube 4k vids.

1. All I know is that the 4K Blu ray player wouldn't play the 4K disc because the TV didn't have HDR. It went on to say that the movie would be played at a lesser resolution. For what it's worth, the player is a Phillips that I bought on sale for around $249 at Best Buy.

My Vizio's have been extremely reliable. In my bedroom I have one of their first LCD's and it's been going strong for 16 years. It's outlasted a Panasonic plasma that died one year out of warranty and a Hitachi.

I have a 4K Vizio 65" M in my den and love it.
I bought a 65" Visio 4K a few months ago and it has a much better picture than the Samsung in the bedroom. And it has a better picture than the LG
I had.

One note that I would add - I wish my 55" Vizio had a web browser that would let me search for and download other "apps". I didn't even know I would want that feature, but I[m on Spectrum and they just went "all digital" in my area and my Vizio does not have the "Spectrum App". I added a Roku player to accomplish this, but it's another cost and more connections and more complexity. I haven't looked into the TV's that have Roku built in, but I think I'd go for that if I had to do this again.

Why not...

Can't really provide any information for your home set up, but for work we always purchase Samsung or LG....

Have purchased a few Sonys as well. A little more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Kind Regards,
John

Back
Top Bottom