New usb A>B cable requires 250 hours of burn-in...for real??

Huck

Hi:
I inquired about one particular 1.2 meter usb A>B cable and was told by this dealer that it requires 250 hours of burn-in to sound it's best....does that sound about right?! Thanks,Huck

Hi:
I inquired about one particular 1.2 meter usb A>B cable and was told by this dealer that it requires 250 hours of burn-in to sound it's best....does that sound about right?! Thanks,Huck
What material is used for the conductor ? Solid silver ?

:rolleyes:

What material is used for the conductor ? Solid silver ?

:rolleyes:
This is from their web-site..quote "This USB cable uses 99.99998% (7N) Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC) silver signal conductors. Power is also supplied by 99.99998% (7N) Ohno Continuous Cast (OCC) silver conductors. The signal and power cables are kept completely separate to ensure that source generated noise does not disturb the digital cable". Huck

Hi:
Good thing I have loads of "vintage" USB cable in a storage box -- already "burned in".

My opinion;

1) USB cables do not all sound the same.

2) None require a burn in period.

The description of that cable sounds excellent. I would try it out if I could afford it.

I have a stubby Pangea solid silver. Like it.

A reputable "uber-premium" cable company would pre-burn-in cables prior to sale, so customer would have 'satisfactory' performance from the start. Because that's part of manufacturing. How could they do any meaningful QC without that step?

It's an extra 11 days in the factory. I doubt the demand is such that they simply must be shipped the minute they're terminated so they can get on to building the next one. They could even process the whole spool of bulk cable at one go.

Oh, I'm sorry, what? None do that? Hmmm...

(I suppose next it'll be "burn in only works if you do it with the music you'll be listening to later on"...)

On edit: Just did the calculation, and the 250 hours is how long it takes to forget just exactly how much it cost to purchase. ;)

Last edited:
Pangea Silver here - no burn in required. Sounds good - definitely better than the cheepo cable that was included with the DAC.

Maybe you can speed up the burn in time?

giphy.gif

A reputable "uber-premium" cable company would pre-burn-in cables prior to sale, so customer would have 'satisfactory' performance from the start. Because that's part of manufacturing. How could they do any meaningful QC without that step?

;)

But then how would you be able to hear the dramatic change in the cable? :)

It's an extra 11 days in the factory. I doubt the demand is such that they simply must be shipped the minute they're terminated so they can get on to building the next one. They could even process the whole spool of bulk cable at one go.

Oh, I'm sorry, what? None do that? Hmmm...

(I suppose next it'll be "burn in only works if you do it with the music you'll be listening to later on"...)

On edit: Just did the calculation, and the 250 hours is how long it takes to forget just exactly how much it cost to purchase. ;)

Yeah,after ten and a half days of burn-in,I would probably have forgotten what the old cable sounded like.Huck

I think @sKiZo hit the nail on the head. Giving me a piece of equipment that needs 250 hours to "work" is the same as giving me an unfinished bottle of wine. Even taking the cable argument out of the equation and come to think of it, assuming the cable believers are right and those on the other side are "deaf" cables should be sold "complete" with the required burn-in.

I find that supposition lacking in supporting facts. 250 hours to burn in a cable? Preposterous.... :D

I found my new WW interconnects did take a bit of time to settle in as did my Acoustic Zen speaker cables. But 250 hours? No way...

Back
Top Bottom