New USB DAC

JoeESP9

ESL's & tubes since 83
I'm looking for a USB DAC with support for up to 32/768 FLAC/WAV, DSF 2X/4x and MQA. I don't need a headphone amp or a volume control. I don't need or want to pay for multiple inputs or a remote. My only restriction is that it cost less than $300US. The DAC will be used in my bedroom sourcing files from an external USB HDD connected to a laptop. A Little Dot MKII is the headphone amp. Currently I'm using a HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC.
I downloaded a couple of DSF files to my AGPTek Rocker 2 (portable player) and I'm impressed with the sound. That's enough to make me want playback capability of DSF files on a stationary DAC. I would have jumped on a Dragonfly Red ($199) but it doesn't support DSF files. I've also been looking at a SMSL 8A ($249) unfortunately it doesn't do MQA.

Meridian Explorer2 ?

EDIT: Sorry I just noticed that it wont do 32/768. I don't think you can get that and MQA at your budget.

Eric

Actually, 24/96 is probably enough. Just trying to shoot for the Moon on a Budweiser budget.

I've also been hearing that MQA DAC's don't play right with other file formats. One of the reviews I read said it was necessary to re-boot the DAC to play FLAC files. I just wish the Dragonfly Red would do DSD. I'd most likely have bought one. DSD capability is far more important to me than MQA. Audioquest says the current Red DAC's are MQA enabled.

I’m not rebooting in between playing alac, dsd and MQA content. $300 will be a tough price point to meet. Filters are defeated during MQA playback.

The Pro-Ject I just posted a thread on is certainly worth an audition.

The MQA requirement makes the $300 goal unattainable, at the moment anyway. If you can drop the MQA requirement then the Topping D50 will do everything else nicely for $250. And if 384kHz suits you, then the Topping D10 which costs less than $100 is worth a consideration too. The mid-ground is the D30 but it is limited to DSD128, not sure if supports DSD native or only DoP. I have no direct experience with Topping DACs but people seem to like them, and apparently they test pretty good too. You will need to have a player app than can send DSD native to the DAC to play DSFs directly, or maybe convert it to DoP if you end up with a DAC that only supports that.

DOP is native - there is nothing wrong with that as the DAC will see it as DSD and report it as DSD.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, did I? It does limit the max DSD data rate. The D30 maxes out at DSDx2, which makes me think it is DoP only.

Project has had a huge issue with this - look on Computeraudiophile where the these companies have their own forums. Even high end DACs have been having this issue.

There are filters on MQA playback, just not very good ones - very leaky filters and upsampling.

Lol, the beauty of free will is I can stay away from toxic boards and posters if I want, but hey, I went on over just because you asked nicely!

“Well, we always complain, but PS2D is great DAC. I use it every day”

“ Would someone be so kind as to provide a summary of this kit please? The idea of reading 34 pages just to get a few impressions puts the damper on my laziness streak.

Already done. Summary of PBS2D threads. (Links to a Google Doc.) This lists all the reviews that we know of. They are all flattering.”

Good enough for me, thanks for the tip botrytis!

For digital content I listen exclusively to dsd, hi Rez alac, mqa and regular lossless content. I haven’t had issue one with these formats with the S2. No hugh issues, no issues at all.

The filters available on the S2 are defeated during mqa content, as for the mqa commentary, spare me, please crap elsewhere.

Incidentally, the Pro-Ject S2 sounds fantastic!, spend the extra $99 and return it to amazon if you don’t agree.

The MQA requirement makes the $300 goal unattainable, at the moment anyway. If you can drop the MQA requirement then the Topping D50 will do everything else nicely for $250. And if 384kHz suits you, then the Topping D10 which costs less than $100 is worth a consideration too. The mid-ground is the D30 but it is limited to DSD128, not sure if supports DSD native or only DoP. I have no direct experience with Topping DACs but people seem to like them, and apparently they test pretty good too. You will need to have a player app than can send DSD native to the DAC to play DSFs directly, or maybe convert it to DoP if you end up with a DAC that only supports that.

With all the problems I'm hearing about MQA compatible DAC's I've been giving the Topping D-50 a serious look. However, I'm still open to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom