New user - New system!

Luis.correia

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on this forum. I just registered! Thank you for having me. I hope I can leanr much from everyone.

I'm a 38 year old music lover. Born in the beautiful islands of the Azores, but now living and working in Lisbon.

My wife offered me a turntable for Christmas and after that I bought the rest of the components. Entry level, but it sounds so good.

As a kid I have lived around records from my father's collection. He has a big collection mainly Brazilian music (bossa nova), African music and some Jazz and american standards.

The last few years I've been talking about buying a turn table and start collecting records but I never got around to it. Until this Christmas where my wife offered me a turntable. I think she regrets it now! :)

My setup:

Project Essential II turntable
Cambridge Topaz AM10 Integreted Amp
Cambridge SX50 Audio Speakers
Cambridge Topaz CD5 CD player.

Whats your thoughts?

One first question: i am thinking about upgrading the stylus to an Ortofon 2M Red. Will be improvement be noticeable?

Yesterday I bought and assembled some speaker stands... and uau.. the sound quality has improved a lot.

The speakers where still in the same desk as the turn table (i know.. i know... :)

Thanks in advance!

1ccfa5fbeee952bb94bccda110c54467.jpg
4acbfc995c2f08107db28f3db68d74e8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome and congrats on your system. I have a 2M red and it could be an improvement over what you have now. I posted questions about in the forum and the general consensous was better cartriages are available at the same price. Use AKs' search function and you should get some info. The 2M red performs adequately on the low end table I have, if I get a better system it might be time them to consider an upgrade.

Welcome to AK Luis!! I always say allocate more for your cartridge in your analog portion. You will get more sonic satisfaction with a higher end cartridge from your vinyl, the next step would be upgrading to a higher end phono stage.

If you give us a budget for your cartridge I am sure you will get many suggestions

Welcome to AK. You have a solid system. Pro-Ject and CA is decent gear. You were wise about adding speaker stands which are a necessary upgrade, especially with a TT.

As for the cartridge, you might not get a yes/no answer since there are far too many variables and views. If you do decide to upgrade the cart, my recommendation is to go higher up the food change than just one step (OM5e to the 2M Red). Perhaps the 2M Blue.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK! You have picked a very sensible and good sounding system! Forget about the search for infinity and enjoy the music!

Welcome to The Machine.....Sorry for the Belated Welcome.:)

Nice Setup, any Changes since Your OP........Did You go with the Blue or Red :dunno:

Thanks for Sharing, Mike. :smoke:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom