NEW VINYL REVIEW: Capitol Vaults Re-Issue 'Pet Sounds' 180gr.

LPMike

Vinyllicus Diversicus
Saw this at the local music store that also sells only new vinyl.

Capitol Records "From the Vault" series 180 gram vinyl re-issue of the classic Beach Boys masterpiece 'Pet Sounds' it was selling for a fair (for new vinyl) price, and I had a bunch of trade ins with me, so i got it.

I have in my collection the original 1966 issue of 'Pet Sounds' (mono) in VG+/NM- shape and have listened to that gem many times... But i was curious as to how well (or poor) a job Capital has done on this new "faithfully remastered' pressing.

From the outside, the jacket is a 100% clone of the original. There isnt a single bit of ink that isnt on the original, and there isnt a single bit of ink on the original that isnt on the re-issue.... except for one thing I noticed.... it seems capital chose to dig up the original negative or some other original source for the cover photo, because the photo on the new issue, while being the exact same photo, is of slightly better quality... and Al Jardine has a hair on his head that is out of place that seems to have been touched-up (removed) on the original 1966 cover... thats the only thing i could find different on the jacket.....

The inner sleeve is a heavy paper (light card stock) reproduction of the 1966 original inner sleeve (which I have in my '66 pressing) complete with capital album listings.... nice touch... but somewhat a novelty... i would have preferred a audiophile sleeve for the record, and the novelty sleeve could have been just a double printed insert... but this is not a problem...

The record itself is a solid pressing... heavy and without any visible flaws... a black somewhat old-style capital label adorns the disc, but it is not an exact clone of the original label. No quibble about that though....

PLAYING:

After a direct back n forth A/B test between this M new pressing and my NM- '66 mono.... my first impression was that the new remastered LP has been fattened up considerably on the bottom end. Bass has been extended down. vocals have been brought forward slightly and highs are a bit sharper. Basically there is a slight increase in "presence" on the new LP, and the bottom end has been expanded... Additionally, I noticed that the harmony vocals seem to have gained some reverb... this is something that is not necessarily faithful to the original. It seems to work, but upon listening to the original '66 pressing, there is a "listenability" and "one-ness" to it that seems to be missing on the new disc.

Going back to the new LP, after side one i began to feel that something in the remastering was beginning to grate on me. The sound was full and rich and present and sharp and really does sound very nice... lush... but i was beginning to get a headache... or feel like the music was smothering me..... the '66 LP does not do this. Why? All I can surmise is that the engineers went for more dynamic bang, vesus the original masterpiece of tonal harmony.

I also begin to feel that Capitol has added some stereo seperation to the mix, which might explain the sense that the harmonies have been reverbed.... this effect is extremely minimal, and nearly non-existant, but close A/B comparisons point to this.... I would say it is tasteful in its minimalism, although this would make the new LP technically a "stereo" LP not a "mono" as is indicated.

Side two and I skip around a bit, but a recurring phenomena now becomes clear.. i had heard on a few tracks a warble, ever-so slight.... as wooo-ahhh, that wasnt a vocal, but instumental, when it should have been a woooooooo.... This is something never noticed on the original, and here it was now that I was catching this on a few tracks... my first impression was that the master tape had a speed error or defect or something.... not good, but this was ever so slight.... i didnt think of it again until i heard it again.... very very slight... only noticeable here and there....

I conclude that ive heard enough of this new pressing, and side two being 3/4 finished i walk to the tutrntable to cue the tone arm and something catches my eye.... the tonearm is moving ever-so slightly side-to-side..... (WHAT?)
I get in close and verify that what i am seing is happeneing...yes, the tonearm is moving slighly side-to-side.... perhaps a milimeter deflection with every revolution.... this disc has been mis-stamped.... and that explains the wooo-ahhhh-wooo i heard .... the acceleration/decelleration of the stylus riding an ellipse.... Shame on you Capitol Records.

SUMMARY:
While the original '66 Mono has a simplistic purely mono sound, the new LP has been expanded dynamically, with a fatter bottom end, more vocal presense, cleaner highs, and some very minimal reverb or separation added to the mix.

The original '66 is infinitely listenable. It is a masterpiece indeed and doesnt grate upon repeated listens. The new LP is sonically more exciting and sounds beautifully dynamic, but after just one listen, the beauty sours to grating, and the excitement turns to boredom. The new LP tested has been stamped off center (very slightly) on side B. (Havnt verified side A)

So there you go. My impressions of Capitol's new 180 gram "From The Vault" mono LP re-issue of the 1966 Beach Boys classic 'Pet Sounds'

Last edited:
The original Capitol was never a sonic masterpiece... The frequency range was squashed to accommodate the mid-fi phonographs of the time.

I have been curious about this one too. It has been in my local vinyl place for a while, and I have been torn. I have several copies of this, including the Brother/Reprise mono reissue. I would imagine the sonic range was extended on the new one as they could do that. The misalignment is bad news though.

My favorite press is still the Canadian mono, and oddly I do love the Dutch "beyond Duophonic" rechannel from the early 70's. I think I play that more than the others.

The Brother/Reprise mono reissue (2LP with the Carl & the Passions LP) is generally considered better sounding than the original issue.

I also have the 1999 mono + stereo CD remaster, and I agree its a winner... This LP is a mixed bag... I really like it, but im not sure its worth keeping.

I also have the 1999 mono + stereo CD remaster, and I agree its a winner... This LP is a mixed bag... I really like it, but im not sure its worth keeping.

I'll have to look for the 1999 mix to compare to the 2001 copy I have. I would think they were similar, but who knows. the '01 is a stereo/mono disc, I wasn't sure that was the normal approach (you would think it would be compressed to fit).

sad to hear of the new vinyl issue, I had my eyes on it, it looks really professional and nice. I guess i'll try hunting a original down, or the brothers reissue...i've only ever heard the cd. The music is really spectacular though:yes:

UPDATE:
Had the record dealer order me a new copy of the LP... swapped it out today and here's what I found:

The new copy has the same prob as the old... side B is stamped off about 1mm in rotational deviation. and on top of this this pressing has a slight ripple through the outer-most tracks.... minor... but Ive never seen 180 gram Vinyl track like a waterbed.

This sucks, but the ripple is very minor and the offset stamping B side is not easily discernable.... But im bummed. Im tempted to take it back but I dont wanna come off as some vinyl snob elitist either... i dont know....

what I do know is Capitol has done a sh*tty job on this one.

Thoughts?

I'd take it back. I'm not real impressed with these Capitol Vaults re-issues. I have one of their Queensryche Operation Mindcrime re-issues and it sounds like shit. No bass and no punch to it at all. I ended up finding an original copy from ebay and it sounds 100 times better. I won't buy another one of these re-issues.

sad to hear that , but not surprising . I have some new LP's also way off center and all sorts of defects , doesn't matter how thick they are . Sad thing is the retailer is on the hook for those .LP production today is really hit and miss I find.
Good review though .
thanks

Back
Top Bottom