New Winslow Burhoe Speakers

DanTana

Anybody know that Winslow Burhoe, designer at EPI, AR, Boston Acoustics among others, is now making a new speaker? He calls it the "Silent Speakers." Amazing thing about them is they look like the exact copies of the EPI 20+ speakers he made years ago execpt with only two drivers.

http://www.directacoustics.com/home.htm

Originally posted by DanTana
Anybody know that Winslow Burhoe, designer at EPI, AR, Boston Acoustics among others, is now making a new speaker? He calls it the "Silent Speakers." Amazing thing about them is they look like the exact copies of the EPI 20+ speakers he made years ago execpt with only two drivers.

http://www.directacoustics.com/home.htm

I admit to being totally unfamiliar with EPI speakers, but I just sent him an email with a few questions- could be interesting.

Here's the rather puzzling response I got from Burhoe:

Thank you for your interest. I am not presently active in selling these speakers. Corner placement would be undesirable. They are designed to sit on the floor against a back wall.

They have extraordinary deep bass but do not play very loudly. Midrange is very smooth. The top octave, above 10 kHz is not as precise as possible. Stereo imagining is a bit weak.

Winslow

tentoze wrote:

>1) Not familiar at all with EPI speakers, which I understand this design evolves from. How would you characterize the sound of your speakers? My all- time reference is the Dahlquist DQ-10, which I still own,if that helps with the sound that I prefer.
>
>2) Do they absolutely require corner placement for optimum sound?
>
>2) What is the cabinet finish? Black?
>
>
>Thank you in advance,

Maybe he was referring to the EPI speakers? I'm a little confused myself. If you write to humanspeakers.com about EPI maybe he can help you with EPI questions. Burhoe seems like a guy who is a perfectionist, but that is a good thing if your buying his speakers. Not sure if he meant he is not selling his "silent speaker" or not. I'm glad he took time out to write you himself though. He is one of the true legends of speaker creation in my opinion, right up there with Kloss, Klipsch and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom