1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

New Yamaha integrated amps

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by mike0565, Mar 19, 2017.

1. mike0565

mike0565 ADS speaker nut Subscriber

I'm seriously considering buying one of these newer integrated yamaha amps. In particular the A-S801. Does anyone have one of these amps or one of the other models and can give me their opinion?

2. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the A-S 801, having upgraded from the 501.I really like it. The phono input on the 801 is a step up, and the inclusion of a DAC is really nice. It's on the neutral side, which I like. The Luxman amp I have gives a little more rhythm, but the Yamaha is worth it just for the DAC and the sheer number of inputs. Now if it only had a mono switch. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

3. Mr Owl

Mr Owl AK Subscriber Subscriber

well, you already know I have one (that's the same model I have). I love it for the inputs as well.

I use it for all the digital stuff - bluetoothed ipad, tv optical, and even CD's (I feel CD's sound better through this than my vintage preamp). The phono stage is respectable, but won't make you forget your C4 or anything (but nice for backup). And it's silver!!

4. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

a-S500 and I love it had it for over 8 years and not a single problem. Listening to it right now.

boza likes this.
  5. SuperLead100

SuperLead100 "These go to 11"

I too have the A-S500 and A-S501; they sound great! I especially like the dac and Bluetooth capability of the A-S501 for wireless playback of the iPod. I find that quite convenient.:thumbsup:

boza likes this.
  6. boza

boza Super Member

I also have the as500. It's not the most expensive amp I've had in my system but it's by far the best.
    I've had mine about 4 year now it's the best money I ever spent.

7. mike0565

mike0565 ADS speaker nut Subscriber

Thanks for all the input AKers. I plan on buying the A-S801 and the matching cd player s300 soon. I'm going to use it for cd's and internet radio. My yamaha c4 will still do the vinyl duties. Haven't read a bad review about the s801 or the s300.

boza likes this.
  8. SpicySammich

SpicySammich Active Member

I am contemplating one of these. Does anyone have a breakdown of the differences between the 301, 501 and 701? Surely it can't be just higher wattage. I'll be running a Lounge MCR MKIII phono though it so having a pre on-board is nice but won't get used.

9. Norliss

Norliss Member

A-S1100 here. I've only had it a couple of weeks but I'm loving it. Oodles of power and it's very well-built, and heavy at 23.5KGs!

SeattleHiFi likes this.
  10. arclight73

arclight73 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes there is. The amp section is not just 25 watts. The 501 and above share dual heat sinks and filter caps about twice the size of the 301. I owned both and sent back the 301. The 501 was just better all the way around. I understood why this amp was praised so highly. It offers HUGE value. Especially now that they have digital inputs with solid DAC sections.

11. SpicySammich

SpicySammich Active Member

Perfect! You sold me on it. Bummer no mono switch but I'll figure something else out.

arclight73 likes this.
  12. bjlefebvre

I have an A-S801 I really like. I just made a mono switch box for it. I have left over parts for another one. You can check out how it looks on Barter Town. Or if you are interested, ping me.

SpicySammich likes this.
  13. arclight73

Nice. It's a great amp. I see you own Focal's. I have a pair of Aria 905's on the way. Should be here Wednesday.

SpicySammich likes this.
  14. Rob84

Rob84 Active Member

I have the AS-2100 and I expect it to last me a long time. I am very pleased with it. I am not compelled to buy any other amp.

15. Soapbarblues

Soapbarblues Member

I'm also trying to decide between the 701 and the 801 to power my Focal Chorus 706Vs. Such decisions...

SpicySammich likes this.
  16. bjlefebvre

801 has the better DAC. It's a nice touch.

Soapbarblues likes this.
  17. arclight73

Get the 801. The extra 100 is really worth it. The USB input and ESS dac are really nice touches and top notch.

Soapbarblues likes this.
  18. Soapbarblues

Soapbarblues Member

thanks! the 801 it is!

19. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

It is great to see more companies making reasonably priced good equipment.

20. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

I may upgrade to a silver digital capable model in December when I turn 80, come to think of it the 801 would be a great number to get. My AS500 has no shortcomings at all, but what the heck, why not!

SpicySammich likes this.