New Yamaha NS-5000 Speakers

Very impressive but I think sticker shock is going to be a problem considering NS-1000M and non-M and NS-2000 can be had for a fraction. The awesome NS-10000M may be in play for that money. 5000 mids and tweeters are not radically different from the 690 and in some ways are inferior to Be, which is truly an exotic material. If memory serves, Focal is the only speaker maker using Be. Anyways, an interesting and bold offering which will pair beautifully with A-S3000 series.

There's a gentleman on a Yamaha Facebook group I'm in that has a pair. He don't say much, but I'm sure he likes them. They certainly look the part for a 3 way loudspeaker.

IMG_0936.JPG

Nice!

Once you have even the 1,000's they stay with you.

You need to drive them with good stuff or they will let you know if you don't have good stuff!

I don't know how in the world they can call these bookshelf speakers!

Now the 5,000's have a "Zylon" soft dome mid range.

I would like to hear hese 5,000's.

Man, I miss my Yammi U1 piano, Yamaha is a great company and I'll bet these 5,000's sound great and they also look great with those stands.

IMG_4339.JPG

Last edited:
I paid $1000 for my NS-1000m's in 1984. Still have them. I finally have amplification and a front end that really makes them shine. The thing I like about them is that I would probably have to spend more than $10k to out perform them.

IMG_4323.JPG

Someone on another forum said he gave Yamaha USA a call and was told that there is currently no plan to bring the NS-5000 into NA. How many times have we heard that from Yamaha and others? Am guessing it has a great deal to do with Yamaha electronics being considered "mid-fi" in today's market-place, so getting a dealer to ante-up the $7.5K, or so, for a pair to put on the floor would be a problem, as well as selling a $15K speaker from what is considered a mid-fi company these days. Plus, who wants a 'bookshelf' speaker for that kind of money. If I was their NA marketing manager, I'm guessing those would be the arguments I would be listening to from my dealers.

Per the Yamaha website they are 78#, each. The Devore 0/93 and Vandersteen Treo CT are looking (sounding?) pretty good at half the price. Am guessing that I (and you) will never get the chance to audition the NS-5000. One of the reviews from the 2016 TIAS stated that the stands are included.

Beautiful setup and room!

What are your amps?
Thanks

I am using an Odyssey Khartago amplifier. Phono stage and preamp are BAT. I hope to replace the Khartago with a BAT tube amp at some point. I must say though, I am not at all unhappy with the sound quality of the Khartago.

Last edited:
"Best sound at a show" for me was the Wilson Sasha being driven by a pair of BAT VK-55SE mono tube amps with VK-52SE pre. Best preamp I've had in my system (before going to an integrated amp) was a BAT VK-31 with the six (6) 6922 tubes and the 6-pack upgraded caps. Can't imagine that a BAT tube amp wouldn't be wonderful with your NS-1000Ms. I'm fortunate in living close to BAT so is simple enough to have upgrades done by dropping the piece off at 'their place'. Great people to deal with.

So the trend of selling a limited edition for a high price piece of nostalgia continues. I would rather they just put them into production at a better price.
I also find it funny that on their website they have to say that these new drivers are as good as beryllium drivers. Then why not just make gold plated beryllium drivers. They look better and probably sound better. Better yet, bring back the NS1000s and offer the tweeter and midrange parts to the public.

These only cost me about $2,000 to acquire, completely refinish, and build and install Troels Gravesen crossovers.

I've heard the NS-5000. Granted, different venue and different equipment, but I'd say the differences are small. The NS-5000 was actually set up in a very large, properly sound treated room (which my family room is not) and I suspect that was the biggest difference I was hearing.

DSC08853.jpg

So the trend of selling a limited edition for a high price piece of nostalgia continues. I would rather they just put them into production at a better price.
I also find it funny that on their website they have to say that these new drivers are as good as beryllium drivers. Then why not just make gold plated beryllium drivers. They look better and probably sound better. Better yet, bring back the NS1000s and offer the tweeter and midrange parts to the public.

Be has by far the best acoustic characteristics. It's material resonance frequency was so far above audible range that cascade was not possible. So, unlike the dreadful paper LE-25 and clone in HPM-100, there is no unwanted amplification due to material ringing. Be is a toxic material which should not be handled which is why there are grills covering the domes. I think this is why Yamaha got out of the Be business. AFAIK, Focal has not used a three inch dome Be tweeter in any of their offerings. This makes the Yamaha's 3 inch Be drivers unique. Whether this translates to sound quality is subject to the infinite variability of personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom