New Zealand Music - You overseas guys need it!

dB_

With a bowie concert going on in Wellington this weekend and an empty house for a few hours I finally got to listen to my infinities the way I like them. My chair turned into an all-over body masager. Also dicovered that the crossoevers in the 'finit's kill the mid and treble if you drive them too hard... dammit.

Discovered the virtues of music from my favourite country in the world, which happens to be the one I live in and where I deal with some of the bands.

There is some serious talent in this country, and through a good hifi the production work is amazing.

Music you must have, it's delicious:

Phoenix Foundation (Indie/country gods)

Tokey Tones (sunday music. Raining, sunny, it doesn't matter. Chill out music of the highest standard)

Stylus 77 (ben harper with balls. Three incredibly talented guys with a polished sound that is just amazing. I've seen them live half a dozen times in the last year or so. Turn up their EP really loud on a good set of speakers and it's seriously like being there)

Lucid Three (hard to describe but sounds amazing)

Trinity Roots (it's reggae/dub soft soothing stuff. outstanding band)

Stereo Bus (indie kinda. Self described as "sissy pop" an amazing but unfortunately defunct group)

Gramski (folkie technoie thingy. Great guy too).

Supergroove - Their greatest hits and first album are what they called "Chunk Rock". Great funky/rocky/jazzy/rappy stuff with an awsems horn section.

Darren Watson - Blues of the highest pedigree. Check out www.darrenwatson.com. This guy is an associate of mine, and the best blues guitarist/singer this country produced, and I am not just saying that, everyone who reviews his stuff says the same thing. His new album is awesome.

Shihad (now called Pacifier. Quick survey: Does the word Shihad sound like Jihad and make you americans all paranoid? It was for this reason they changed their name) ROCK. check out their self titled album and a track called Hate Boys. Brilliant rock track that calls for 30,000 people singing in unison.

It's true I have a passion for NZ music. There is a reason for that. Most of the stuff that's coming from overseas these days is soul-less, talentless crap. Sure there are a few exceptions, but with any local music I know I'll enjoy it because of the energy, enthusiasm and heart that is put into it. Most musicians here will never be able to support themselves with their music because of the small population, so it's made for the sheer love of it. This approach guarantees genuine effort, not money spinning crap.

Download some samples here:

www.amplifier.co.nz

If you like I can hook you up a few demo tracks (not the whole CD because piracy is not your friend). If you like further I can organize getting you some albums shipped over pretty cheaply too.

Back
Top Bottom