Newb in NYC

jgordon

Hi,

Figured I'd post here - I'm already asking for help in the Linn and Analog forums so might as well introduce myself.

I'm in manhattan - my system is still coming together but it has:

Onkyo 805 running the show
Panasonic 1080P plasma 42" for visuals
Monitor Audio RS6 speakers (two channel system)
Linn Sondek LP12 (Valhalla power, Ittok arm, AT150MLX on the way)
Marantz CD5001 hopefully this christmas

I live in a small apartment with terrible acoustics, but I love music so what the hell. Will probably be asking lots of questions, and it seems like you guys have a good community going.

Edited for cartridge info

I have the same deal going on here (No Room). I'd like to chat turntables some time. I'd love an Ittok for my AR. I'm trying to get some vinyl thing together after not having one since High School.

Cheers,
Chuck

attachment.php

I live in a small apartment with terrible acoustics, but I love music so what the hell.

I have the same deal going on here (No Room). I'd like to chat turntables some time. I'd love an Ittok for my AR. I'm trying to get some vinyl thing together after not having one since High School.

Cheers,
Chuck

attachment.php

Looks like some Sonus Faber speakers in the pic, how do you like them? I sold a bunch of them with my last company (along with Monitor Audio, as well).

je

I really like them. I'm also using a REL T2 sub. They have a very sweet and effortless sound. Very large and dare I say euphoric. I have them set up shitty though, too far apart, hard wood floors, odd shaped room, plaster walls... They seem to jive with my old Mc equipment well. I had horns before and they gave me a headache. I went listening to speakers at a few spots and ended up listing to a pair of the Concertinos at Stereo Exchange here in NYC and got goose bumps. So I left on went on Audiogon and found their bigger brother the Concertos for 1/2 the price. :banana:

What do you use?

I think I hate that banana, can't help myself.

Looks like some Sonus Faber speakers in the pic, how do you like them? I sold a bunch of them with my last company (along with Monitor Audio, as well).

je

I'm in manhattan............I live in a small apartment with terrible acoustics, but I love music so what the hell.

Its always good to learn of a fellow New Yorker here. You need space, consider one of the outer boroughs, like Brooklyn :D. Below are two examples of homes in Mill Basin, 4,590 and 4,724 sq. ft. each respectively with full finished basement, ideal for a dedicated home theater or 2-channel listening room. Looks like the 'burbs doesn't it ? There is regular express bus service close by that will take you to/from Manhattan in comfort. You don't need to pay an arm and leg for an undersized Manhattan apartment. Okay I'm shutting up now. :D

Last edited:
I really like them. I'm also using a REL T2 sub. They have a very sweet and effortless sound. Very large and dare I say euphoric. I have them set up shitty though, too far apart, hard wood floors, odd shaped room, plaster walls... They seem to jive with my old Mc equipment well. I had horns before and they gave me a headache. I went listening to speakers at a few spots and ended up listing to a pair of the Concertinos at Stereo Exchange here in NYC and got goose bumps. So I left on went on Audiogon and found their bigger brother the Concertos for 1/2 the price. :banana:

What do you use?

I think I hate that banana, can't help myself.

Don't want to de-rail the thread, sorry to the OP.

What I've got here is mostly what my clients threw out when I sold them Sonus Faber and Monitor Audio :D. The ones I've stuck with have been primarily JBL and Canton. Had a line on some slightly scratched Grand Pianos last year, but passed. You've pretty much summed up my words for the Sonus- sweet and effortless. Enjoy.

If you're short on space, you can do what I did- sell a 1,200 sq. ft. place in NY and buy a 3,000+ sq. ft. place in VA with a ton of $$ left over. Not for everybody, but we're liking it.

je

Its always good to learn of a fellow New Yorker here. You need space, consider one of the outer boroughs, like Brooklyn :D. Below are two examples of homes in Mill Basin, 4,590 and 4,724 sq. ft. each respectively with full finished basement, ideal for a dedicated home theater or 2-channel listening room. Looks like the 'burbs doesn't it ? There is regular express bus service close by that will take you to/from Manhattan in comfort. You don't need to pay an arm and leg for an undersized Manhattan apartment. Okay I'm shutting up now. :D

Nice rendering of homes not yet built..., What's wrong with a Manhattan appartment (I whish I had kept one instead moving out to the burbs).

Sorry to go off topic (btw, welcome to AK, jgordon...) but then again this has already become the real estate classified section anyway...

The OP did complain about space. Nice homes, including ones like the ones in the artist renderings already exist in areas of Brooklyn like Kensington, Midwood, Mill Basin, and Bergen Beach and have for a long time.

Welcome, jgordon! Always happy to see more New Yorkers here. I'm in Brooklyn, but closer in to the city so also have to deal with too-small space, odd shaped rooms, etc. What the hell, it's worth it. Glad to have you here.

Back
Top Bottom