Newb in NYC

Thank you all for the warm welcome - I'm fairly new at this (nice equipment that involves maintenance and attention, that is - love of music is almost 30 years old) so I'll be asking many questions. As I said before, the community and general friendliness of the guys on here is nice to find.

Edit - I'll update my original post as I just ordered an AT150MLX for the sondek.

I have the same deal going on here (No Room). I'd like to chat turntables some time. I'd love an Ittok for my AR. I'm trying to get some vinyl thing together after not having one since High School.

Cheers,
Chuck

Your place looks a hell of a lot better than mine - equipement and setup. I have an L-shaped studio with the inner corner of the "L" jutting out between my speakers and destroying my soundstage. Love it. Would be happy to chat turntables any time but if you check some of my other posts you might not value my opinion too much. I'm figuring out how to set the table up, align it and chase down a ground loop through one speaker.

Its always good to learn of a fellow New Yorker here. You need space, consider one of the outer boroughs, like Brooklyn :D.

Grew up in Manhattan, so BK's out at least for now.

If you're short on space, you can do what I did- sell a 1,200 sq. ft. place in NY and buy a 3,000+ sq. ft. place in VA with a ton of $$ left over. Not for everybody, but we're liking it.
je

Man, if I had 1,200 square feet...

Welcome to AK! :music: I see you've got some locals checking in as well... :thmbsp:

Always good to have locals. Might need to bribe some guys into coming over to help with the ground loop issue. My other hobby is cars (restoring/working on) and beer usually works to corrall some help with those. Same amount of beer, much less heavy lifting and good music - I'd show up.

Man, if I had 1,200 square feet...

I lived in a one-room apartment for a year, then a 9' x 9' room for 2 years to afford the 1,200 sq. ft. house (just a bit outside the city line). Worth it. It had a doctor's office built off the back, I gutted that & made it a ~260 sq. ft. recording/rehearsal studio, and one of the bedrooms became the control room.

je

Welcome aboard. You'll find out soon as I have how addictive this stop is. Seems like I spend a few hours a day here...

Enjoy!!!

Mr. J!

Welcome from the Upper West Side of Manhattan!

I believe there are about six of us AKs in the area.

Leaving soon to do what we NYorkers do on some Sundays......out to do the laundry, with a stop over at Fairway for coffee and bagels!

Again welcome!

L

Glen,

My aunt used to live on 66th Street in MB.........those houses in the pictures......gots to be a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Its always good to learn of a fellow New Yorker here. You need space, consider one of the outer boroughs, like Brooklyn :D. Below are two examples of homes in Mill Basin, 4,590 and 4,724 sq. ft. each respectively with full finished basement, ideal for a dedicated home theater or 2-channel listening room. Looks like the 'burbs doesn't it ? There is regular express bus service close by that will take you to/from Manhattan in comfort. You don't need to pay an arm and leg for an undersized Manhattan apartment. Okay I'm shutting up now. :D

Back
Top Bottom